Where are we? Day two of the North West Province ring road

Date: 1st June 2004

End GPS: N06 20.521 E010 45.843

Weather: Misty and damp, very cold night

Camping: Catholic School in mission

Day two of the ring road. This leg initally descended from Lake Nyos onto the rocky and sandy piste running through dense, lush vegetation of grasses and woodlands. The scenery here is picture postcard stuff, a striking contrast between the many shades of green in the rolling hills, blue sky and white fluffy clouds. As the day drew on the clouds impressed themselves evermore on the skyline and the piste started to climb heavenward, switch backing higher and higher until eventually we were enveloped in the shrouds of cloud that now hung over the hills. As the temperature dropped we climbed further, the piste now turning a Martian red of mud that had us slipping and sliding our way around the tight turns. We watched the GPS altitude, 1200 metres, 1300 metres higher and higher. Both Stewart and Elenor and Kat and me in the DuK noticed the effects that the altitude was having on our vehicles as the exhaust gases turned to dense black smoke, the engines starving of enough oxygen to burn efficiently. Down on power we laboured our way still higher, the road now became a roller coaster of steep climb followed by fast downhill sections. The piste was still muddy and the cloud still hampered our vision, but it was wide and quiet and we used gravity to quicken our pace. It was bitter cold outside and we felt for Mark on his beloved Honda as they rode in perfect harmony together.

We stopped for lunch high on a hill, which, in between breaks in the cloud allowed us sweeping panoramas of the lowlands. After something to eat it was time for a little playtime. The quarry where we had stopped for lunch had a steepish climb out to the road that had switchback above us. Mark was up for the challenge first and as always made it look easy as man and machine worked together to find the balance between power and grip. I was already impressed by Marks riding skills and so wasn’t surprised that he rode this as if nipping down to the corner shops, as the months rolled on we would all be more and more impressed by what Mark would challenge and achieve on the roads through Congo and Angola. But hey back to today, naturally the landies had a go at the hill climb, DuK up first for a run. She sailed up with no troubles, digging her heels in on the last lip that stepped you back onto the piste, a quick u turn and back down the slope. Next up Stewart who was trying to prove that a Landie will climb a 45 degree incline in low range first gear without a driver to apply the gas. Well it almost worked but half way the landie ran out of steam and he had to give her a gentle boost of power to get her to the top. It could have been the altitude we’ll never know.

Playtime over we continued along the piste that still climbed further into the Gods. Our altitude high of the day was a staggering 2120 metres, higher then most if not all ski resorts in the Alps. That night we stumbled upon a Catholioc Mision and school where we enquired if we could camp. The school administrator was very welcoming and they allowed us to camp on a grass area next to the refectory of the school. We were naturally the evening entertainment for the pupils of the school who looked at us half bemused and the other half in fits of laughter at these strange white folk from out of town. The night was so cold we set up the side awning with the skirts to keep the cold at bay, and enjoyed a nice tuna curry made by Kat and a few good hands of hearts.


Es war ziemlich kuehl in der Nacht und wir sind zu einem sehr neblig unheimlichen aber schoenen Himmel und See aufgewacht, haben Kaffee und Fruehstueck gemacht und BBC Worldnews gehoert und sind weiter gefahren. Wir sind einer steinigen aber schoenen Piste immer auf und ab durch hohes Grass und Waelder gefahren, sehr gruen und traumhaft schoen! Unterwegs haben wir zum Mittag Advocado, Vache, Tomaten und Gurken gegessen und ein bisschen unsere Fahrzeuge an einer Steilen Klippe hoch getestet. Danach ging es weiter und wir sind immer hoeher gefahren, durch Kaffee-, Cacao- und Teeplantagen und waren ploetzlich 1698 m hoch. Es ging immer hoeher und wurde immer kaelter, bis 2120 m, durch eine dichte Wolkendecke durch. In einem kleinen Dorf haben wir angehalten um Wasser zu kaufen, und konnten einfach nicht drumherum in einer kleinen Kneipe ein Bier zu trinken. Danach gings weiter, an einer riesen Teeplantage vorbei, die aussah wie die Weinberge in der Toskana! Hier haben wir in einer Katholischen Mission gefragt ob wir die Nacht verbringen duerfen, was uns freundlichst bejaht wurde und wir haben camp gemacht, allerdings mit der Warnung dass morgens um 6:00 Uhr hier alle Kinder, die dort wohnen, zum Essen kommen… Wir haben wieder unsere gesamte Markiese, mit Waenden, aufgebaut und ich habe Thunfisch Curry mit Reis gekocht. Nach dem Essen haben wir gemuetlich, wie im Wohnzimmer, Karten gespielt.


 Where are we? Day three of the North West Province ring road

Date: 2nd t June 2004

End GPS: N05 58.045 E010 09.153

Weather: Sunny clear and getting warmer as we descend

Camping: Back at the Presby in Bamenda

A beautiful sunny morning, we were woken by the sounds of children at play, wood being chopped, African idle chit chat around the kitchen fire and the wood crafters busy creating new wares for the market. The night had been bitterly cold and we had to retreat into our sleeping bags and the duvet to keep the cold damp air from our bones.


We are 133km from Bamenda and still flying high at an altitude of 2000 metres, sadly today will be our last day on the ring road. This has been a joyous 3 days of sightseeing and some good off road driving. It is so nice to be touring rather then pointing from A to B, the driving is much more relaxed and you have more time to slow the pace and enjoy the scenery and people.


We are now entering tea plantation land. The scenery has changed from rolling green hills to steep escarpments and valleys upon which cling thousands of hectares of squat dense tea foliage. How the tea pickers don’t slid all the way down the slope is beyond me.


Before leaving the school the cook gave the girls a guided tour of his kitchen, well actually a large fire with massive cooking pot big enough to fill the hungry tummies of 65 children 3 times a day, in days of old maybe this would have been the pot in which the canibals would have boiled up their human meal. He was a very proud man and allowed us to replenish our water cans for our onward journey. The girls were adopted by a little boy, it was unsure whether he was an orphan or whether his parents had abandoned him, for he was mentally retarded. The cook had taken the boy under his wing, feeding him when he turned up at the school. Nobody knew where he lived each night when he left the school grounds. It’s scenes such as these, which repeat themselves throughout Africa, that break ones heart yet also fills one with total respect for these people. People who themselves have little or nothing and yet will give everything to their brother or sister. It seems to be a part of humanity we in western worlds all to often forget as we shut the door to our house behind us each night. Stuart and Elenor and Kat and me russled together some paper pads and pens for the little boy, he rewarded us with a big smile.

We bid our hosts farewell and thanked them for their hospitality, the road back toward Bamenda improved and the sun shone down upon our progress. The red sands of the piste soon gave way to tarmac and we descended from our lofty heights. DuK got herself hot in the boots from all the downhill and so we elected to stop to allow her heels to cool, before we found ourselves out of control with no brakes.

It was all to good to be true and sure enough the last 80km of the ring proved to be horrible pot holed tar. Land rover just seem to hate this stuff and our progress became painful. Poor Mark had to wait for the two beleaguered landies to hobble their way along the road. Thank goodness for the shade of African trees.

We arrived back in Bamenda after our 3 day, 360 km adventure on the North West Province ring road. The route had led us first north via the villages of Bafut, Befang and Wum where it the turned east leading us up to lake Nyos and then on to the village of Nkambe, the route then took us south to Kumbo and Jakiri before eventually turning west leading us back to Bamenda via Ndop. This is well worth the 2 -3 days it takes as it runs through some amazing lanscapes. You can obtain a map of the ring from the tourist office in Bamenda. We enjoyed dinner at our favourite restaurant in Bamenda (actually the only restaurant in Bamenda with food) and then to a local music club to enjoy the vibes of Cameroun.


Wir sind zu einem schoenen sonnigen Morgen aufgewacht mit Lauten von spielenden Kindern, auf dem Weg zum Fruehstueck, Holzfaellern bei ihrer Arbeit, und Frauen, die kloenend, die Kueche und Hof saubermachten. Nachts war es so bitterkalt, das wir jetzt mit unserem dicken Schlafsaecken und unseren Bettdecken schlafen! Heute geht's zurueck nach Bamenda; wir alle haben die Ringroad sehr genossen. Es waren drei schoene Tage mit wunderschoener Landschaft und gutes Offroad-Fahren fuer unsere Fahrzeuge. Bevor wir uns verabschiedet haben, hat der Koch uns noch gezeigt, wo wir unsere Wasserkontainer auffuellen koennen und Elinor und mir dabei gleich seine Kueche gezeigt, in der er jeden Tag fuer 65 Kinder in Riesenpoetten kocht, er war sehr stolz als wir sein heutiges Mittagessen bewundert haben!

Ein kleiner Junge war staendig um uns herum und es stellte sich heraus, dass er ein wenig zurueckgeblieben war und keiner wusste, wo seine Eltern waren - der Koch und einer der Lehrer kuemmern sich um ihn und geeben ihm auch essen; aber leider keine Dusche . Wir haben dem Jungen Papier und Stifte gegeben und er hat sich sooo riesig gefreut - wir haben ein riesen Laecheln und eine Umarmung bekommen, er war so liebevoll und wollte nur ein bisschen Aufmerksamkeit! Hier kuemmern sich Bruder und Schwester und Nachbar und Oma und Stiefgeschwister etc. immer umeinander und sind fuereinander da, auch wenn sie selbst kaum etwas zu geben haben - es kommt mir so vor als ob es sowas in der westlichen Welt ueberhaupt nicht mehr gibt! Solche Momente machen einen immer wieder bewusst wie gut wir es haben, dass wir so eine Reise machen koennen und all diese wundervollen Ereignisse erleben und Menschen begegnen duerfen!

Nachdem wir uns bedankt und gewunken haben, sind wir weiter durch schoene Landschaft Richtung Bamenda gefahren. Die Strasse wurde zum Asphalt und sehr gewunden gings bergab. Wir mussten soviel bremsen, dass DuK heisse Fuesse bekommen hat, da es nach etwas gebrutzelten gerochen hat, also haben wir ein paar mal angehalten und den Ausblick genossen, waehrend DuK sich abkuehlen konnte. Die letzten 80 km der Ringroad bestand hauptsaechlich aus Schlagloechern und die moegen wir ueberhaupt nicht! Wir sind ziemlich langsam voran gekommen und Mark der mit seinem Motorrad meistens an den Schlagloechern vorbeikurvt, tat uns schon ganz leid, da er immer auf uns gewartet hat. Als wir endlich in Bamenda wieder bei der Presbyterischen Mission angekommen sind, haben wir erstmal unsere Zelte aufgebaut und sind dann gemeinsam zu unserem Restaurant, Dreamland, gegangen. Danach sind wir wieder in den Club gegangen um Kameruns Toene zu geniessen…


Where are we? Bafang in Cameroun

Date: 3rd  June 2004

End GPS: N05 09.598 E010 11.520

Total Kilometres: 19513 Km

Weather: Rain, Rain and Hail and Rain

Camping: Hotel Calypso

Doula beckons today, our trip will lead us southwest via Buea and Limbe on the coast. Weather permitting we will take the opportunity to climb Mt. Cameround from the foothills of Beau. The weather however is atrocious, roads have become rivers and we have been forced to stop several times to allow the torrent of rain to subside enough to allow us to see where we are going and the rivers flow to ebb. Progress hence is slow today exacerbated by the road which snakes it way through dense jungle, making driving both tiring and dangerous. We eventually stopped to have a conference with Mark,  it was bad enough for us in the Landies yet Mark was having to endure the worst being totally exposed to the elements. We agreed to call it a day a few kilomtres down the road in a small town that offered accommodation. Mark needed to dry out and warm up so a bush camp was out of the question. We found the hotel Calypso who allowed Kat and me to camp in a compound whilst the others took rooms for the night.  The DuKs radiator is on its last legs, as again we have lost all of our coolant for no apparent reason. We will keep it going as long as we can in the hope we can get it acid cleansed in Namibia. Also our new fuel tank has sprung a leak, so whats new. It’s a trickle and a neusaince but we can live with it.




Heute haben wir die Strasse nach Douala eingeschlagen um nach Buea zu kommen, das Dorf am Mt. Cameroun gelegen und von wo man die Berbsteigungen beginnt. Es hat so wahnsinnig geregnet dass wir alle genervt waren und Mark auf seinem Bike uns besonders leid tat. Also haben wir eine Konferenz einberufen, und uns entschlossen in dem naechstgroesseren Dorf bei einem Hotel anzuhalten. Wir haben das Hotel Calypso gefunden, wo David und ich im Hof campen durften und die anderen drei haben sich Zimmer genommen. Unser Lueftungssystem im Landy ist im Arsch und seit meinem Abrutsch in den Graben leckt auch unser neuer Tank wieder, also wollen wir eigentlich irgendwo hin wo wir reparieren koennen, aber erst mal aus der Regenzeit raus!



Where are we? Buea, on the foothills of Mt. Cameroun


Date: 4th June 2004

End GPS: N04 09.695 E009 13.977

Total Kilomtres: 19729 Km

Weather: Cloudy, overcast, later a little drizzle

Camping: Presbytatrian Mission, Buea

The mountain won’t come to us so we are going to the mountain. We cannot come to Cameroun and not try to ascend to the lofty heights of Mt. Cameroun at 4095 metres. We are taking a small detour via a lovely piste that takes us through plantations, rainforest and woodlands. It makes the day more interesting from the asphalt of the main highway leading southwest. Unfortunately the nice and pretty piste ended and we found ourselves on what was suppose to be sealed road, instead we found ourselves on a combination of 100 metres sections of good tar that gave way to gravel potholed hell, then back to tar interspersed with craters of the moon and then back to good tar. This type of road give you complete stress andfatigue as you never get into a rythem and are always on the gas and brake. The road did eventually improve and led us once more through rolling foothills and forest. The cloud had descended and as we climbed we caught the odd glimpse in the breaks of the cloud of the mountain, rising grandly out of the Atlantic. Striking in contrast to most other mountains which are already at altitude, Mt Cameroun foothills however are only 1000 metres above the black sands of the coast and hence the volcano itself has a rise of some 3095 metres. It makes for a daunting and intimidating sight, especially when one realises this is still an active monster.


The weather forecast for the next few days is good and so Mark, Kat and me have agreed to take on mother nature and ascend the slopes of the mountain. We shall climb with a guide from Ecotourism, having decided to do the climb without the support of porters. We shall therefore be carrying full packs of food, water, clothes, sleeping bags and tents. Our attempt will take us up the south face, this starts as a trail and soon rises at an acute angle that saps the strength from both limbs and mind. Our climb to the summit should take one and a half days before we then descend and traverse across to the western slopes, scene of the most recent craters that erupted in 1982 and 1999. The final section will takes us via Mann springs (the only source of drinking water enroute) then down through rain forest to Bokwoango.


So up and down 3295 metres in 3 days, should be a piece of cake……..Incidentally as an aside, every year they run the Mt Cameroun marathon, it’s a distance of about  28km up and 28km back down which equates to about 35 miles, the only problem being that they also climb the 3295 metres up and down. All of this they achieve in 4.5 hours for men and 5.5 hours for women………..!!!!




Heute morgen war kein Regen mehr, das macht das Zeltzusammenklappen etwas leichter! Wir haben uns auf dem Weg nach Buea gemacht und uns entschlossen einen Umweg auf einer schoenen Piste zu fahren anstatt direkt auf der Hauptstrasse, die wir meistens langweilig finden - was fuer ein Fehler! Die Piste endete schnell und wurde dann zu 100 m guter Teer, dann 100 m Schlagloecher, dann wieder Asphalt mit Bergen im Teer, dann wieder gut etc. - ein neues Beispiel von Afrikanischen Horrorstrassen, wenn man es Strasse nennen kann!! Letztendlich wurde es besser und die Strasse fuehrte durch den Regenwald und schoene huegelige Landschaft mit Ausblick zur See auf unserer linken Seite und Blick auf Mt. Cameroun zur unserer Rechten Seite. Dann an dem von der 1999-Eruption erstandenen Lavafluss, der fast bis ins Meer geht, aber merkwuerdigerweise ca. 100m vor dem Meer mitten auf der Strasse endet, vorbei. Wir sind in der Presbyterischen Mission in Buea, 1000 m, am Fusse des Berges, angekommen. Dies war die sauberste und freundlichste Presby bisher! Wir warten das Wetter morgen ab und entscheiden uns dann ob wir den Berg besteigen oder nicht.



Where are we? Buea, Presby, Cameroun

Date: 6th June 2004

Weather: Cloudy

Camping: Presby Mission

Mountain preparation day, stocking up on foodstuffs and getting our equipment together and packed ready for an 07:30 departure up the hill. Everyone ate a hearty meal and Mark, Elinor and I opted for an early night, ready to fight the beast fresh in the morning. Stuart and Kat however opted for a late night of whisky drinking. Kat eventually retired to bed at 3:00 a.m. full of scotch wisdom. This certainly was an interesting way to prepare for a challenging climb. The theory being to completely deplete the body of all nutrients and bodily fluid through desiccation by whisky, this would alleviate the effects of oxygen starvation at high altitudes as the body already thought it was in survival mode. Ah, how we would laugh at Kat’s pained expression upon waking at 06:30 with the realisation of what lay ahead as the demons pounded inside her head from the night of indulgence.




Mark, David und ich haben uns entschlossen den Berg zu besteigen und sind zum Ecotourism Buero gelaufen um mit den Guides zu reden. Einer, Julius, hat uns am Besten gefallen und wir haben ihn gewaehlt. Wir wollen keine Traeger haben, nur den Guide, und all unsere Vorraete wie Wasser und Essen, sowie unser Zelt und Matratzen selber tragen. Allerdings hat Julius angeboten, auch Traeger zu sein, wenn wir ihn dann fuer den Tag extra cash geben. Nachdem wir uns fuer den naechsten morgen um 7 Uhr verabredet haben, sind wir zum Einkaufen gegangen - Kekse, Spaghetti, Tuetensuppen, Brot, Sardinen etc. Dann gings zurueck zur Presby wo wir unsere gesamte Bergsteigergeradrobe aussortiert und gepackt haben. Abends haben Stuart und Elinor, die in der Zwischenzeit an den Strand fahren, fuer uns gekocht - Bohneneintopf mit Reis (damit wir stark sind und extra-Antrieb haben….) Tsja, ich weiss nicht wie das schon wieder passiert ist, auf jeden Fall bin ich schoen mit Stuart in Whisky abgestuerzt! David und Mark sind brav frueh ins Bett gegangen um fuer unseren fruehen Start fit zu sein, dann ist Elinor ins Bett gegangen und Stuart und ich haben gekloent und anstatt ein oder zwei Whisky zu trinken wurden es 1 ½ Flaschen! Ich bin dann um 3:00 Uhr morgens zu einem sehr genervten Ehemann ins Bett gestiegen und morgens um 6:00 Uhr noch betrunken wieder aufgewacht…




Where are we? 2900 metres up Mt Cameroun

Date: 6th June 2004

Weather: Sunny and clear

Camping: Hut 2 Mt Cameround South slopes

The day started early, too early for a certain Mrs H, who nursed a very sore whisky head. By 07:30 we were fed and watered and had taken our team photograph. We said farewells to S&E and in the absence of a Dali Lama accepted their blessings for the climb. Whilst we would be labouring our way higher and higher over the next 3 days, they would be sinking lower and lower into G&Ts and sunloungers on the coast.  


The walk out of Buea starts as a nice stroll up medium gradient slopes, the trial then disappears into forest and the route becomes steeper as you climb water gulleys and skirt around ancient, moss clad trees. Almost instantly things started to go pear shaped for Kat as the blood started to circulate through her veins. The body was longing for the sweet energy of oxygen enriched blood, instead her limbs and body were blasted by 6 hour old whisky. It was like hiking with a Scottish distillery by my side, I found myself becoming intoxicated simply from the fumes that sweated from her body. With grim determination, that I love so dearly in my wife, she battled onward and upward, struggling for breath to perge her system.


By lunchtime we had hiked about 12km and climbed 900 metres to hut 1 where we ate lunch and took a short siesta.  We could see the going got steeper from here up to hut 2; a distance of only 7 km but with a rise of over 1000 metres. We arrived around 17;00 at hut 2 where we would spend the night. The hut came as a welcome relief for Kat and I. Kat had improved as the day grew old, but I had grown old with the day and now had the legs of a 90 year old, barely able to keep any rhythm. Memories of the final summit day on Kili came flooding back. It took every last bit of positive mental attitude to stop myself becoming a mass of jelly, unable to stand up without support, as had happened on Kili. This time things were better, the air was thicker and each deep breath brought with it renewed strength and vigor to drive on up. In the last hours Kat and I had taken it in turns to lead, allowing the other to follow on their heels, like riders on the Tour de France slip streaming the lead rider.


Mark was proving to be a bit of a mountain goat, leaping and bounding up the mountain with Juluis our guide. They had set a furious pace and by the end of the day Kat and I were delighted to be only a short time and distance behind, not bad for an old man and hung over wife.


With day 1 in the bag the summit was looking good for us all in the morning. That night Kat and I built our tent under the roof of the hut whilst Mark and Julius opted to sleep in the hut, atop wooden racks which were also home to numerous mice who tried to eat their way through anything chewable. A cold nigh made all the worse by my carry mat which decided to give up the ghost on me during the night, I woke to find myself cold and cramped by the hard concrete that lay uncushioned beneath me.





Boar, was fuer ein Fehler so lange wach zu bleiben! David und Mark haben sich den ganzen Tag einen Spass aus mir gemacht und zugeguckt, wie ich gekaempft habe den Berg hoch zu kommen und Whisky ausgeschwitzt habe! Um 7:30 Uhr war Julius da und los gings, von der Presby direkt kleine Pfade durch landwirtschaftlich angebaute Haenge, dann in den Regenwald. Ich konnte schon nach einer halben Stunde mit meinem schweren Rucksack nicht mehr…David hat immer gesagt er fuehlt sich als wuerde er durch eine Schottische Distillery laufen! Ich wollte am liebsten aufgeben so schwer fiel mir das hiking, aber aufgeben ist ja nicht so sehr mein Ding, also gings mit zusammengebissenen Zaehnen berghoch. Als es Mittag wurde haben wir auf einer Huette angehalten und hartgekochte Eier, Brot und Kekse gegessen; danach haben alle ein Nickerchen gemacht, nur ich konnte nicht einschlafen, toll! Es war ziemlich kuehl und windig und von hier aus ging es richtig steil hoch, da konnte ich gar nicht hingucken so schlimm kam mir die Idee vor da hochzukrakseln! Teilweise mussten wir auf Haenden und Fuessen krabbeln und ein paar mal hab ich fast das Gleichgewicht verloren und bin hintenueber zureuckgefallen. Also hat David meinen Schlafsack genommen und Julius 2 Flaschen Wasser, spaeter hat Mark noch meine Matratze genommen, und dann gings besser. Gegen 17:00 Uhr sind wir auf der zweiten Huette angekommen, wo wir die Nacht verbringen werden. Es war ziemlich kalt und wir waren alle froh unsere Rucksaecke in die Ecke zu schmeissen. Die Huetten waren mit einer Planke Holz fuer ca. 5-6 Matratzen ausgestattet und kamen gratis mit Riesenspinnen und Spinnengeweben! Also fuer mich natuerlich keine Frage, unser Zelt wurde aufgebaut! Wir haben in der Huette gekocht, dann Tee getrunken und sind frueh in unsere Schlafsaecke gekrochen.




Where are we? 4095 metres on the summit of Mt. Cameroun

Date: 7th June 2004

Weather: Windy, very windy and cloud

Camping: Mann Springs

They say when you reach the summit you are only half way there, how true this is. Day 2 on the hill would prove to be a long and tiring day. We woke before the sun, eating breakfast and drinking hot tea before collecting our belongings together. Overnight the mice that inhabited the hut had decided to break into my backpack, chewing a ragged hole in the top pocket to claim a packet of custard cream biscuits which I had foolishly left there. The weather had closed in on us overnight, the way to the summit being obscured by cold damp cloud. In some ways it was a blessing as we could not see what lay ahead and the cold air kept us at a brisk pace. The wind however conspired to push us back down the slope and its icy fingers pocked and probed at our bodies sapping our strength. As we climbed higher we put on more layers to keep the cold at bay, amazing to think up here it was near zero, and below zero with the wind chill, yet down on the coast it was a humid 35 degrees.


The climbing order was as the day before, Julius and Mark set off at a good pace and soon opened a gap between Kat and I. Kat was recovered from her hangover and we soon found a rhythm that suited us both. The hill got steeper but strangely enough the going remained good and as we neared 4000 metres I was surprised to find that the altitude was having little effect on our climbing.


The wind was now blowing furiously and it bit painfully at our faces makimg our eyes stream with tears. The cloud had also thickened and we often lost sight of Mark and Julius ahead of us, the ground had levelled under our feet and we became aware that our rate of ascent had lessened. As the wind blew the cloud away for a few seconds we made out the figures of Mark and Juluis ascending the final rise that led to the summit. Kat and I quickened our pace and caught them up in order we could claim the summit together in triumph. And then we were there, a dilapidated sign that had long fallen from its perch lay on the ground, it simply read Summit 4095 metres. As we stood atop of the mountain the full rage of the wind set upon us, bustling us backward and forwards like a bully in a school playground. In the end we collapsed to our knees in submission to its superiority. We had hoped for unrivalled views of the land and sea below us but that was not to be. We stayed a mere 10 minutes on the top, taking photos and praising ourselves on a job well done, then it was time to descend from the grasp of the wind and cold damp fingers of the cloud.


Our descent would lead us down the south west slopes to Mann Springs were we would overnight. All we had to do was find the trail………not so easy when in a white out. Finally Juluis secured the route down and off we set, as our altitude descended we left the wind and cloud above and the day became calmer as the path opened up before us. We were soon able to make out old lava flows and before long we were scampering over and between them. The form in which the lava had set made for treachorous footing and the steep slope had us leaning hard on our poles to prevent our ankles and calf muscles exploding from the force being exerted on them by the weight of gravity and our packs. Mark did not fare so well, without poles he was suffering the effects of the downhill and his pace soon slackened. He pulled up and we went to enquire if all was well. Unfortunately it was not, his knee was strained and he was finding it painful. We gave him a set of our poles and he continued on down the slope.


The route took us onto a plateau and across lava flows, through dense lush grasslands, past exstinct craters and across rocky boulder strewn terrain then we came over a rise and found ourselves in a lunar landscape. The ground was soft grey silt and ahead lay the cone of the 1982 eruption, its crater still steaming and emitting stinking rotten egg gases. It was an unnatural place to find ourselves and I found myself suddenly very nervous as I thought of the sleeping beast under our feet and what would become of us should it decide once again to awaken. We took photos and continued across the moonscape, the land eventually being returned to the natural green vegetation and grasses. It was over 7 hours after leaving the summit that we eventually slumped into camp at Mann Springs. Our bodies fatigued and our legs and arms aching from the strains of the day. We made camp and cooked dinner on the fire and fell into bed to catch some longed for sleep before the arduous trek through the rain forest in the morning.




Was fuer ein Tag! Wir sind frueh aufgestanden, haben Kaffee und Tee gemacht, zusammengepackt, gefruehstueckt und sind losgestapft. Mark wurde zur Bergziege und ist leichtfuessig den Berg hochspaziert. David und ich haben schnell unseren Rhythmus gefunden und Erinnerungen an Kili kamen zurueck. Es war sehr kalt und windig aber auch sehr schoen. Wir sind durch dicke Wolken getreckt und haben uns dann ueber der Wolkendecke befunden, leider konnten wir somit nicht die See, oder wie man an manchen Tagen sehen kann, Equatorial Guinee sehen. Es wurde wieder steiler und wir kamen schnell ausser Atem. Bei 4100m haben wir auf einer Huette angehalten und Tee gekocht.


Die Altitude hat bei mir eingeschlagen, aber diesmal erkannte ich die Signale und habe eine Aspirin genommen und eine Huehnerbruehe (wegen des Salz') und viel Wasser getrunken. Dann gings wieder, aber mir war Schwindlig, aber die Kopfschmerzen sind verschwunden. Langsam aber sicher haben wir und dann dem in Wolken eingetauchten Gipfel genaehrt. Die letzten Schritte bis nach oben waren hart, aber nicht so hart wie auf Kilimanjaro. Und trotzdem, als wir oben waren, haben wir wieder den ganzen Kampf und Schmerz vergessen und waren von Gluecksgefuehlen erfuellt. Es war so windig und kalt, dass die Kameralense nach einem Photo vereist war! Also sind die anderen Photos leider etwas verschwommen, aber wir haben uns dort auch nur ungefaehr 5 Minuten aufgehalten und sind dann auf der etwas windgeschuetzteren Seite wieder bergab gegangen. Fuer kurze Zeit schien es als ob Julius sich verlaufen hat, aber dann hat er seine Orientierung wiedergefunden. Nachdem wir aus der Wolkendecke herauswaren, ging der Abstieg nicht so steil und etwas gewunden an der anderen Seite des Berges weiter.


Wir sind an den Lavafluessen von 1982 und 1999 vorbeigelaufen und sogar an noch aktiven Vulkanen. Die Landschaft war unglaublich surreal und schoen! Wie auf dem Mond! Allerdings ist es schon etwas komisch, wenn es ueberall nach schwefel riecht und dampft, David wollte so schnell wie moeglich weg von hier. Mt. Kamerun ist noch aktiv aber als er das letzte mal ausgestossen ist, hat es 6 Monate gedauert bis die Lava unten im Dorf von Limbe angekommen ist. Somit kommen viele Geologen oder Bergsteiger um sich die Vulkanausbruecke anzusehen. Nachdem wir zum Mittag angehalten haben, ging es weiter durch immer wieder veraenderte Landschaft. Mark hatte mittlerweile Probleme mit seinem Knie und wir haben ihm unsere Hikingstoecke gegeben, trotzdem kamen wir nur langsam voran. Und als wir Julius fragten wo denn die Mann's Springs (Quellen) sind, wo wir heute Nacht schlafen werden, bekamen wir immer wieder die typische afrikanische Antwort, es ist nicht weit, wir sind gleich da, nur noch da um die Ecke und dann sind da ein paar Baeume etc… Letztendlich sind wir gegen 17:00 -18:00 Uhr, 7 Stunden, nachdem wir auf dem Gipfel waren, bei Mann's Springs angekommen, haben Feuer gemacht und unsere Zelte aufgebaut, Boots ausgezogen und gekocht und waren um 19:30 Uhr im Bett!




Where are we? Buea, back at the Presby, Cameroun


Date: 8th June 2004

Weather: Sunny and hot

Camping: Presby

Today would prove to be another extremely long day hiking out of the rain forest back to civilisation. We left at 07:30 and the open savanna soon gave way to the thick green of the rain forest. The path became little more then a thin muddy line that soon had us entombed by the vegetation. The air became heavy with moisture and the smells of moss and wood and the scene was lit only in twilight as the canopy above our heads blocked the way of the suns rays. Hiking through such places makes me claustrophobic and I longed to break out into clear space. The going under foot became steep and slippery and we felt for Mark who was now in agony with each step forward. We slipped, slided and fell our way down and out of the forest after 10 hours. By the time we clamered out of the taxi back at the Presby we were all finished. Even Julius was feeling the strain of the day as he limped off home to freshen up before returning for a celebratory dinner. Needless to say we all slept extremely well that evening and boy how we ached the next day.





Heute war wieder ein langer Tag. Nachdem wir mit Muskelkater aufgestanden sind und auf dem Feuer Fruehstueck gemacht haben, sind wir gegen 7:30 Uhr wieder losgestapft. Der Pfad wurde immer enger, so dass wirklich nur eine Person hinter der anderen laufen konnte und dichte Bewachsung auf beiden Seiten war. Manchmal ging es an steilen Abgruenden vorbei und der Untergrund war sehr rutschig, manchmal felsig. Mark hatte immer groessere Probleme mit seinen Knieen die jetzt die ganze Federung abhalten mussten. Die Umgebung war schon sehr schoen, mit duftendem Moos und rankigen Pflanzen, aber nach Stunden im Regenwald hab ich wieder bemerkt, wie damals in Ghana, dass mir das eigentlich nicht so gut gefaellt und ziemlich klaustrophobisch ist. Wir haben nicht richtig zum Mittagessen angehalten, da wir so viele kleine Pausen gemacht und auf Mark gewartet haben und unsere letzten hartgekochten Eier praktisch beim Laufen gegessen. Wir konnten alle nicht mehr und Julius hat uns immer wieder versicher wir waeren gleich da, um die Ecke ist das Dorf von wo wir unser Taxi zurueck nach Buea nehmen….So gings fuer Stunden, so dass wir schon sauer wurden. Letztendlich sind wir in Bokwoango angekommen und haben bei der ersten Bar angehalten und alle eine Cola und danach ein Bier getrunken. Wir haben ein Taxi gefunden, dass uns via einer Bar wo wir Bier fuer den Abend gekauft haben, wieder nach Buea zur Presby gebracht hat. Als wir dort ankamen, hat Mark sich ein Zimmer genommen, wir haben unser Dachzelt aufgebaut und alle erstmal heiss geduscht. Dann hab ich Bratkartoffeln mit bebratenem Corned Beef und Zwiebeln gekocht und Julius zum Abendessen eingladen. Nach ein paar Bier und Unterhaltungen waren wir alle sehr muede und sind frueh ins Bett gefallen.




Where are we? Mile 11, Cameroun


Date: 9th June 2004

End GPS: N04 03.391 E009 03.211

Total Kilomtres: 19785 Km

Weather: Sunny spells, humid

Camping: Seme New Beach Hotel

After the exertion of the climb we have opted for the relaxation of a warm ocean and black volcanic sands of Seme. We are staying at the Seme Beach hotel a modern conference hotel inhabited by white rich oilmen on R&R. Its not that bad however as we are able to camp on the football pitch which is set away from the hotel and right next to the beach. We are all feeling the strains of our climb and it’s good to lounge around and swim to massage our muscles. We passed the end of the lava flow from the 1999 eruption on our way to the hotel, only days before we had stood at the crater from which this mass of now solidified rock had exploded. Amazing as it had cut right across the road then stopped just short of the sea. The lava had taken months to crawl its way down the mountain allowing the people to make way for its path, they even moved a whole oil refinery out of its way. 




Heute haben unsere Muskeln ihre harte Arbeit gezeigt und waren schmerzhaft. Wir haben zusammengepackt und uns auf den Weg zum Meer gemacht! Wir sind in Seme New Beach Hotel angekommen, wo wir auf deren Fussballfeld, direkt am Strand campen durften. Kurz hinter Limbe, vor dem Hotel, kommt man an den Lavafluss von 1999 vorbei, der direkt auf der Strasse endet, und den wir einen Tag zuvor auf dem Berg bewundert haben. Beim Hotel haben wir den schwarzen Sandstrand bewundert und gefaulenzt.




Where are we? Mile 11, Cameroun


Date: 10th June 2004

Weather: Overcast and rain

Camping: Seme New Beach Hotel

We went for a day trip into nearby Limbe today, a small non-descript town set on the coast. We have come to change money and buy provision for our onward journey. The day was made all the more exciting by the hell raising mini bus ride into town. We returned to our camp to find ourselves now living on an island, surrounded by a new lake that had fallen from the skies. After the heavy rains comes the humidity and we retreated to the cooling waters of the Atlantic.




Heute haben wir einen Tagestrip nach Limbe unternommen und sind auf den schoenen Markt gefahren, wo wir mit allen Gemuesehaendlern wie die Bloeden gehandelt und Spass gehabt haben. Danach sind wir in eine kleine Bar gegangen wo wir wieder auf den verrueckten Shuttle-Bus gewartet haben, der uns nach einer lebensgefaehrlichen Fahrt wieder im Hotel abgesetzt hat. Mittlerweile hat es wieder aus Eimern gegossen und das gesamte Fussballfeld wo wir gecampt haben stand unter wasser! Wir sind in die Hotelbar gefluechtet, haben der Hotelband zugehoert und spaeter hab ich ein riesen-leckeres Gemuese-Thai-Curry gekocht - herrlich!!




Where are we? Douala, Cameroun


Date: 11th June 2004

End GPS: N04 03.063 E009 41.519

Weather: Bright and sunny morning

Camping: EEC

Another early start and departure, not……..we eventually left at 1:30 p.m. Hopeless. Luckily Douala is only a short trip for us and we arrived there by 15:00. We had been given a tip, by those good old Dragoman boys, to check out the seamans mission for a place to stay. Unfortunately we found the place was full, a shame as it was being renovated and seemed very luxurious for what it cost and compared to what we where normally use too. They kindly guide us to a couple of other places round the corner and we eventually found a place to camp for free at the Evangelical church. The priest here was a very hospitible and generous man and we thank him for giving us a home for our time in Douala. Douala itself is a bustling metropolise. The oil off the coast and its natural deep harbour have made it  a major trading gateway, as such the city has developed a very cosmopolitan feel to it. Modern shops and restaurants, lots of Gutchi and glittering gold and swish swanky coffee shops and air con supermarkets stocked to the brim. Was this still Africa? sure enough venture down any side road and the tar gives way to sand and the Gutchi to local wears, the swish restuarants to good old street stalls. A quiet evening spent at the seamans mission around the pool.




Wir haben richtig schoen ausgeschlafen und sind dann ziemlich spaet um 13:30 Uhr losgekommen. Douala ist nicht so weit von hier und um 15:00 Uhr waren wir schon da, nur um rauszufinden, dass die Deutsche Seemannsmission, die uns empfohlen wurde, voll war und man da nicht campen kann! Schade! Also ging's auf Unterkunftsuche. Alle Missionen waren voll und nicht bereit uns campen zu lassen. Dann haben wir die EEC (Evangelische irgendwas) gefunden und die Jungs haben dort gefragt ob wir campen koennen und wieviel es kostet. Der Priester hat gesagt es sei kein Problem und kostet nichts - cool! Es gab keine Dusche und die Toilette war unbenutzbar aber wir waren mitten in der Stadt und mussten nichts bezahlen. Duoala ist das Industriekapital von Kamerun und alles was man will ist erhaeltlich, auch leckere Croissants und meine geliebten Café Lattes! Abends sind wir alle zur Seemannsmission gelaufen und haben dort gegrillte Thueringer mit Kartoffelsalat gegessen und Karten gespielt.




Where are we? Doula, Cameroun


Date: 12th June 2004

Weather: Bright and sunny morning

Camping: EEC

They have patisseries here so sure enough Kat and I headed into town to get money and fill our bellies. We received an email from Helen & Toni letting us know they were now in Namibia and confirming we must be the slowest overlanders ever. They have provided us excellent information on the visa situation for Congo, DRC and Angola. We will now head to Libreville as the visas are easier to obtain and at a fraction of the cost. They also have provided us with a more scenic off the tar route down which we will write about when we have travelled it. We have no further purpose in Doula and will leave tomorrow for Yaounde where we have agreed to rendevous with Stuart and Elinor.


Enjoyed a fine pizza and a greek open air restaurant and watched the opening game of Euro 2004, what sensation as Greece beat the hosts Portugal.




Nachdem wir aufgestanden sind, haben David und ich uns auf dem Weg zur Patisserie (Konditorei) gemacht und Kaffee getrunken und gefruehstueckt. Danach sind wir ins Internet café gegangen und haben von Toni und Helen erfahren dass sie bereits in Namibia sind!! Wir sind wohl die langsamsten Overlanders die es gibt…Ausserdem haben die beiden uns alle moeglichen Visainformationen gegeben und uns ueber die Strassensituationen intormiert. Am Nachmittag sind wir zur Seemannsmission an den Pool gegangen und haben mit Mark Karten gespielt. Abends sind David und ich alleine zu einem Griechischen Restaurant gegangen und haben leckere Pizza gegessen und ein bisschen des UEFA's Cup 2004 geguckt, und Griechenland hat Portugal geschlagen.




Where are we? Edea, Cameroun


Date: 13th June 2004

End GPS:  

Weather: Raining

Camping: Rubber Plantation

No chance of a lie in today, Gods children rise early in Doula to pray and worship to him. The bells started to toll at 07:30 and first service commenced promptly 1 hour later. Kat and I hid in our roof tent as the grounds in which we were camped became clogged by the cars of the worshippers. A look of curiosity was cast over there faces as they tottered past our Landie and Marks Bike and tent. We drifted off again only to be woken an hour later as the congregation spilled back out into the church grounds singing and parising de Lords as they went. No sooner had the last car vacated the car park the the bells came to life again, calling out to the lazier worshippers to get out of their beds and come and give thanks. They promptly came to the call and once again we where hemmed in by their cars. This congregation looked even more puzzled as they milled past us as we ate our breakfast. These white people sure is strange folk. We packed up whilst the choirs sang and by 12:00 the cars where gone and we where free to go. We thanked our host and bid him farewell. After a quick bank stop for cash we got ourselves a little lost in town and ended up on a back road out of town. 


The rain continued to fall and the dirt roads soon became soggy and slippery. We seemed to be going the right direction but the main tar road simply did not materialise as expected. In the end we where assisted by a local taxi driver who led us to the track leading to the tar. It had only taken an hour to get out of town. Just as the track reached the tar road we were faced by an endless queue of traffic. Luckily for us the jam started exactly where we came off the track. Had we left Doula by the main route we would have been at the back of the queue, so it seemed our little detour had paid dividends. We got out to enquire from the numerous policemen milling around what the jam was about and how long they expected it to last. It transpired the road was closed because the President had chosen to go to the the seaside at Kribi for the weekend and he was no on his way back to Doula. Naturally as you do the army and police closed down the whole road between Yaounde and Doula and it was not known when El Presidenti would be returning. We were therefore stuck. Some smooth talking by Mark got him permission to go on as far as Edea, we would have to wait it out, then for some unknown reason we were called forward and allowed to head off down the empty black top. We reached the outskirts of Edea where we were stopped at a checkpoint, it seemed this was as far as we would be allowed to go. We extracted ourselves from the stalemate by explaining we where staying in Edea overnight, a complete lie, but one that had us on our way again. We planned to blag our way all the way to Yaounde in order to keep to out planned reunion with S&E. However there was no need,as we drove into Edea we drew up at a stop sign right behind a blue Landie that looked surprisingly familiar. Africa is a big land but once again we had bumped into friends simply by chance. It turned out S&E had been in the same situation as us in trying to get further then Edea. They had actually been staying with some European rubber plantation folk they had met in the traffic jam the previous day and who had invited them back to the plantation to sit it out. After happy greetings we assessed the situation and agreed we probably would not make Yaounde today, instead we headed to the plantation to see if we could stay over the night. Sure enough Eric and Florence were welcoming and we settled down with cold beers to watch Englands opening game in the Euro 2004. If only the England football team were as good as the rugby team……….





Heute sollte es weiter Richtung Yaounde geheh, wo wir morgen Stuart und Elinor treffen wollten. Wir sind von den Kirchenglocken aufgewacht und haben bemerkt wie wir von den Glaeubigen eingeparkt wurden und uns im Dachzelt versteckt. Als alle in der Kirche waren, sind wir aufgestanden und haben gefruehstueckt und zusammengepackt. Als alle wieder rauskamen und wegfuhren konnten wir endlich los. Von hier mussten wir die Hauptstrasse nach Yaounde nehmen, die auch mit der Strasse nach Kribi verbunden ist. Kribi ist ein Ort an der Kueste und leider auch wo der Praesident sein Wochenendhaus hat. Also waren alle Strassen gespeert und es war ein Chaos nur aus Douala rauszukommen. Ueberall waren Strassensperren und Polizei und das wuerde den ganzen Tag so gehen, da man ja nicht so genau weiss, wann der Praesident denn von Kribi wieder nach Yaounde faehrt….Unglaublich! Mark haette mit seinem Bike weitergedurft aber wir nicht. Nachdem wir irgendwann die Polizei davon ueberzeugt haben dass wir in Edea (auf halben Wege) uebernachten koennen und sie uns bitte wenigstens bis dahin fahren lassen duerfen, ging's endlich weiter, aber alle 2-5 km wieder so eine Strassensperre mit solchen erstrebten Polizeibeamten. Wir sind dann in Edea angekommen und wollten gerade gucken wo die Mission ist wo wir haetten uebernachten koennen als wir Stuart und Elinor's Landy sehen! Die kamen sofort vor uns, wir haben alle angehalten und uns erfreut in die Arme genommen. Die Einheimischen haben noch niemals so was komisches gesehen - 5 Weisse die sich alle freuen, und haben sich mit uns gefreut und geklatscht und gerufen…. Stuart und Elinor hatten dieses Strassenproblem seit Freitag und konnten nicht nach Yaounde und haben mitten im Strassenchaos Expats, die hier wohnen, kennegelernt. Die Belgier, Eric und Florence, die hier zusammen mit Geoffrey, einem Franzosen, eine Gummiplantage managen, haben die beiden mit zu sich genommen und das ganze Wochenende Party gemacht. Also ging's zurueck zur Plantage. Superschoen wie die dort wohnen, aber auch unglaublich, dass Firmen so viel fuer ihre Europaeischen Arbeiter ausgeben, in einem Land wo so viele Leute so arm sind….Es hat wieder ohne Ende geregnet und Eric und Flo haben uns alle ein Zimmer gegeben und wir haben Bier getrunken und unterhalten und viel Spass gehabt. Mark hat sich ein Zimmer mit David und mir geteilt und sich beschwert wie David so schnarchen kann und wie ich das nur aushalte….wenigstens hab ich jetzt Beweis!!




Where are we? Yaounde, Cameroun


Date: 14th June 2004

Weather: Overcast

Camping: Presbytarian Mission

We went on a tour of the plantation with Geoffrey, one of the managers, who showed us how they tapp the tree of rubber and explained the science that transforms this white tacky liquid into all manner of objects from car tyres to rubber ducks. After our whistle stop tour we headed to the plantations social club for lunch which Florence had kindly organised for us. With full bellies we said our goodbyes and got on the now open road to Yaounde, El Presidenti having now returned to Doula.


An uneventfull journey on good blacktop, street side vegetable vendors have given way to bush meat sellers, not something we shall be trying as it is the main transmitter of the Ebola virus. Arriving in Yaounde at 15:45 we located the Presby and set up camp. We are here to obtain our Gabon visa and now we will get the Congo and Angolan visas in Libreville our stay will be minimal, lucky as there isn’t a lot to see here, although we did find a good pizzeria that evening.




Heute morgen hat Geoffrey uns die Plantage gezeigt und auch wie die Baeume 'getappt' werden und das Latex rausfliesst und in Eimern aufgefangen wird. Jeder Baum hier hat Perioden wo die nicht benutzt werden und sich erholen koennen. Danach sind wir mit Geoff und Flo zum Clubhouse zum lunch gefahren, wo wir leider herusfinden mussten, dass waehrend wir lunch hatten, jemand sich an unser Tuerschloss herangemacht hat und versucht hat in DuK einzubrechen - zum Glueck erfolglos. Nachdem wir uns verabschiedet haben, konnten wir endlich auf freien Strassen weiter Richtung Yaounde, an vielen Strassenhaendlern vorbei die Bushmeat verkauft haben - von Wildkatzen ueber Ratten, Affen, Schlangen und Riesendechsen. Um 15:45 Uhr sind wir in Yaounde angekommen und haben nach einer Weile die Presbyterische Mission gefunden, wo wir gecampt haben. Abends haben wir eine Pizzeria gefunden und sind nach dem Essen frueh ins Bett gegangen.




Where are we? Yaounde, Cameroun


Date: 15th – 20th June 2004

Weather: Sunny

We went to the Gabon embassy first thing and were amazed to find that the visa would be issued the same day, it was however our most expensive visa to date and with hindsight it may have been cheaper to get elsewhere, but hey that is life on the road. At least we saved a lot by delaying the Congo and Angolan visas to Libreville.


The group dispersed to do their things, Kat and I headed to the supermarket and then to a bush mechanic to see if they could hot solder our leaking fuel tank. They gave it their best go but the tank ended up with more holes then we had started with so guess who wasn’t a happy camper. This little episode meant we stayed in Yaounde an extra 2 days as they filled one hole only to make another. By day 3 of the “lets turn a fuel tank into a sieve” game we gave up. We shall simply run on jerry cans and minimal diesel in the tank until we can get it fixed in Windhoek. We utilised the time to service the Landies and Bike and stock up on food and get our laundry done.


By the 18th everyone was ready to go, we all went about our own thing ready to depart first thing in the morning. As we sat in camp Mark arrived back on his bike with his arm and leg bleeding. Some stupid taxi driver had braked sharply and on the diesel covered tar his bike had slid out from under him. Luckily he had just minor grazes without much grit in them. Kat set about her nurse duties and cleaned and dressed the wounds. Mark explained that he had been returning from the hospital when the accident had happened, the reason he had been there was he suspected he had malaria. Sure enough the hospital blood test had shown a positive result. We were going nowhere therefore, until Marks malaria abated and he was strong enough to ride again. As it was Mark had been quick in taking Artesunate and so the malaria never got a good grip on his system and so by the 21st he declared himself fit and our quest continued toward the border with Gabon.




Heute sind wir frueh zur Botschaft von Gabon gefahren und haben unser Visa beantragt, welches wir am gleichen Nachmittag wieder abholen konnten! Danach sind wir zur Congo Botschaft gegangen um herauszufinden, dass die Leute hier ziemlich unfreundlich und nicht sehr hilfsbereit waren und die Visa sehr teuer sind. Also wollen wir die naechsten drei Visa in Libreville, Gabon, beantragen, wie Toni und Helen uns geraten haben. David und ich haben viele Stunden und Tage in einer Werkstatt verbracht, wo die Jungs dort unseren Tank schweissen sollten und das Loch nach jedem Schweissen groesser wurde!!! Mark kam eines Tages vom Internetcafe zurueck und ist auf der Strasse ausgerutscht und hatte somit ziemlich schlimme Schuerfwunden, die ich dann verarztet habe, waehrend er uns mitteilte dass er gerade vom Krankenhaus kam und schon wieder Malaria hat! Also haben wir noch ein paar Tage hier verbracht und auf seine Genesung gewartet.




Where are we? Meya on the road to Gabon via rather scarily named village of Ebolawa, Cameroun


Date: 22nd June 2004

End GPS: N02 31.132 E011 30.959

Total Kilomtres: 20154 Km

Weather: Hot and windy

Camping: Bushcamp in Quarry

We are entering the pygmy region of southern Cameroun and the area in which there have been outbreaks of the deadly Ebola virus. Bushmeet rules here and we are offered everything from snake to civit (a beautiful wild cat). Humidity is high and when we stop we are swarmed by tiny black flies which bite and leave a tell tale red blotch which we have given the name “Tetras Disease” to.


We ended the day at 16:00 finding an old road quarry in which to settle for the night. We are in thick jungle here and as the night drew in around us, so the animals came out. What a great night listening to the many different calls, of which the most haunting was the Tree Hyrax, its call sounding like a child screaming in pain. We have discovered that the mosquito netting on roof top tents does not keep our little black flies out. They are small enough to crawl through the gaps and then settle on us as we sleep, eventually we awake from the itches of a thousand bites. Luckily we are with S&E and the flies seem to prefer their taste to our so we only have a small team trying to eat us alive. Poor Stuart has a massive fan club that is visible each morning when he awakes, his body being graphited by the red blotches of tetras disease. Kat is the only member with immunity to the blotches of tetras disease, but we are sure her day will come………




Mark hat seine Malaria gut ueberstanden, dafuer aber jetzt schlimmen Durchfall und somit war die Fahrt fuer ihn nicht sehr angenehm. Wir sind durch Ebolowa gefahren und haben immer gescherzt, dass hier der Ebola-Virus herkommt, was nicht so weithergeholt ist, da dieser Virus von Affenfleisch, was einem hier an jeder Ecke angeboten wird, uebertragen werden kann. Es herrscht eine tierisch hohe Luftfeuchtigkeit und jedesmal wenn wir irgendwo anhalten werden wir von kleinen schwarzen Fliegen ueberfallen die allen, ausser mir, die von uns ernannte 'Tetras-Krankheit' bringt. Besonders Stuart hat diese merkwuerdig geformten roten Flecken an seinem ganzen Koerper… Die Kaefer/Fliegen sind so klein, dass sie sogar durch unsere Mueckennetze in die Zelte kommen und sind in der Daemmerung besonders aktiv. Keiner kann gut schlafen, da wir uns alle kratzen, aber bei mir hinterlassen sie komischerweise keine Flecken….



Where are we? On road to Oyem, Gabon


Date: 23rd June 2004

End GPS: N01 49.573 E011 38.113

Total Kilomtres: 20288 Km

Weather: Cloudy

Camping: Bushcamp in Quarry

The border to Gabon necessitates a river crossing only possible by ferry, which of course is out of operation. Never mind, around the next corner is always a solution and sure enough ours came in the form of a minor detour towards the border with Equatorial Guinea, which according to the GPS we crossed into, before doing a sharp left to another ferry that was working. We paid the ferry man and joined the queue of cars, carts and donkeys. When the ferry was offloaded the orderly queue drove in neat procession onto the gleaming modern ferry……..sorry, and back to reality………and as the ramshackle of trucks , cars, carts and odd donkey bulldozed their way off the ferry the queue of embarking traffic erupted into a scrum of mayhem. Before we had our engines started the two landies were pincered from both sides by the traffic that had been sitting behind us, this in turn was pincered by the traffic behind it and so on and so forth. Result a funnel of traffic wider then it was long all aiming to push their way onto the single file gangplank that led onto the ferry deck. Stuart’s temper rose and he floored the landie straight into the side of the guy trying to push in front of him. The driver was not amused but the passenger thought this was great……a big white man with balls……..just as we thought Anglo-African relations were about to sour the boatman intervened and as seems to happen all the time in Africa, the white man outsider was ushered on in priority to even those who had legitimately waited and queued ahead of us. We felt annoyed and embarrassed at this treatment, yet said and did nothing as we needed to get out of Cameroun before our visas expired at midnight.


After a further few kilometres we finally arrived at the border, we checked out of Cameroun and drove over the artificial line that separates the two countries. The set up here is a little strange, as at the border there is only customs where we stamped our carnets. Immigration is down the road in the town. These guys are major hassle and kept us playing the game for 2 hours. It’s a common game in Africa and so we didn’t rise to the bait. The game goes a little like this.....


The officials want your details e.g. name, passport number, destination, mother and fathers names etc. The overlander has pre-prepared forms with all such details on them. The official declares this not valid as it either does not contain a vital piece of information (which cannot be penned on in addition) or that the document is not in French? The overlander is thus requested to write out all of the same details as on the pre-prepared form, along with the additional piece of information e.g. profession. The official then declares this is not valid as it is not on the official form, of which he has only 1 copy. The overlander is then requested to drive and make copies of the form so that they can complete them. On returning with the copies of the form the official then declares that the forms cost one US dollar. The overlander laughs heartily and says “No way”. The official laughs bitterly and says “worth a try”. With the official photocopied form now duly completed, the official now requests the photocopies of the visa in the overlanders passport. The overlander laughs heartily and explains they have no such photocopy and this is not normal procedure. The official laughs triumphantly and questions “do you want to come into Gabon or not”. The overlander in defeat drives off to the photocopy machine 2 km away and returns with the copies. The official takes these passess them to his junior and tells hime to write the details of the visa into a big official looking book. The copies are then discarded in the bin. The game continues until both parties are tired, fed up and on the point of breakdowns. Only at this point are the passports stamped with the necessay immigration stamp and the overlander is free to go, the 2 hour endurance exercise complete….well not quite as the official has one last laugh as the overlander is about to drive away, he requests a copy of the face page of the passport. The overlander though has the last laugh as he drives off laughing and waving at the furious official left in his wake.  


In Gabon there is one other notable difference in the officials, in all other countries at road blocks the official comes out to the car; in Gabon the overlander must stop, switch off the engine and walk over to the official.


We drove unti 17:00 finding a nice quiet bushcamp in an old quarry. We made camp, and a big fire. We have also found the cause of the DuKs steering slack. The bushes on the Panhard have given up. Hopefully we shall be able to get some replacement ones in Libreville as I stupidly left our at home.




Gabon is calling! Auf dem Weg zur Grenze haben wir festgestellt, dass diese Grenze nicht offen ist bzw. die Faehre nicht funktioniert, also ein Umweg, an Equatorial Guinee vorbei, und befinden uns jetzt an einer anderen Faehrueberquerung, die funktioniert. Nachdem wir unsere Tickets gekauft haben und uns brav in die Reihe gestellt haben, kamen immer mehr Autos an, die sich vorgedraengelt und ueberall reingequetscht haben. Wir haben dem Faehrmeister erklaert, dass wir heute noch nach Gabon muessen, da unser Visa auslaeuft und wir so nicht voran kommen. Eine typische afrikanische Geste hat uns erklaert, dass er weiss was wir meinen er aber nichts daran aendern kann. Stuart hat mittlerweile seine Geduld verloren und sein Temperament ist mit ihm durchgegangen als noch ein weisser Transitwagen von der rechten Seite an ihm vorbeidraengelt und sich quer vor ihn stellt. David, Mark und ich haben nur noch in Horror gesehen wie Stuart seinen Landy zuruecksetzt und dann mit einem miesem Gesichtsausdruck in die Seite des Transits hineinfaehrt - wir dachten nur, scheisse, in Afrika sollte man nie seine Geduld verlieren, als wir sehen, das alle lachen, ausser der Fahrer der wuetend schreit. Somit haben wir whities Respekt gewonnen und alle lassen uns auf die Faehre…


Wir sind auf der anderen Seite angekommen, haben uns aus Kamerun ausstempeln lassen und sind dann in Gabon angekommen, wo wir unsere Carnet eingestempelt haben, Immigrations ist ein paar Kilometer weiter im Ort. Als wir dort ankamen, hat uns der 'ueberfreundliche' Beamte erklaert, dass wir eine Kopie unseres Reisepasses sowie unseres Gabonvisas braeuchten und wieso wir das bitte nicht wuessten! Als wir ihm dann erklaeren, dass das normalerweise nicht der Fall ist, wollte er davon nichts mehr wissen, hat uns erklaert wo wir Kopien machen koennen, obwhol heute Sonntag ist, und hat das Buero geschlossen und ist weggeschlendert - super! Elinor und Stuart haben sich auf die Suche nach einem Kopierer gemacht und nachdem der erste Laden zu war und sie endlich einen ausfindig gemacht haben und gluecklich wiederkamen, war ein anderer Beamte da, der von den Kopien nichts wissen wollte aber immer gerufen hat, wer am besten Franzoesisch kann und mich dann am Wickel hatte:" Mama! Schreib mir genau auf wer ihr seid, wo geboren, Beruf und Name der Mutter und des Vaters!" Also hab ich mir alle Paesse geschnappt und ihm eine schoene Liste angefertigt und auf Franzoesisch alles aufgeschrieben. Als er das Dokument wieder hat, hab ich einen Fehler gemacht und gehoert "Mama, was ist das hier und wieso hast Du das nicht so und so geschrieben!?" Der Gesichtsausdruck wurde immer unfreundlicher und ich hab ihn dann gefragt wieso wir das denn nicht in die vorgefertigte Form einfuellen koennen, die da lag. Ja, das waere eine gute Idee, aber erst muessen wir die Form nehmen und photokopieren!!! Also sind Stuart und Elinor wieder losgefahren. Danach haben wir alles ausgefuellt und er war gluecklich und wir haben unsere Paesse bekommen. Als wir gerade loswollten und schon im Auto sassen, kam sein anderer Kollege wieder und hat nach den Kopien von unserem Visa gefragt, Stu and Elinor mussten umkehren und ihm diese geben, dann gab es ein freundliches Laecheln und wir durften endlich weiter - 2 Stunden spaeter!


In Gabon gibt es noch andere Regeln, bei Strassensperren und Polizeichecks muss man hier seinen Motor ausschalten und zu den Offizieren gehen, sonst kommen die immer zu einem ans Fenster. Aber das haben wir schnell gelernt… Wir sind bis 17:00 Uhr gefahren und haben dann in einer Bergmine, die zur Strassenbebauung dient, ein bushcamp und ein riesen Feuer gemacht.





Where are we? On the yellow brick road to Libreville, Gabon


Date: 24th June 2004

End GPS: N00 57.411 E011 11.984

Total Kilomtres: 20496 Km

Weather: Cloudy brighten up later

Camping: Bushcamp in field of pineapple

Given a choice of a 6 hour drive along good asphalt to Libreville or a 3 day, slip slide on mud tracks and bog holes we naturally opted for option 2. This route goes via Sam and was recommended by that intrepid pair of explorers Toni & Helen. The route is impassable in the heavy rains which hadn’t yet arrived, although sufficient had fallen to make the track a rigorous test for vehicle, driver and passenger. This is a beautiful route leading into thick dense rain forest which claws at the window trying to get in. The mud track itself is deeply scarred and gourged by the rain waters that tear at it and rip it apart;  at times the rain has devoured the track leaving little more then two strips of undulating mud, just wide enough for a tyre, with deep gulleys everside. Driving these is like walking on a greased tightrope, whilst someone bounces the rope up and down beneath your feet.


It’s too dense to pull off the trial for camping and we are forced to keep driving until we find a clearing made by the local farmers who grow pineapples here. We came upon such a clearing with just enough space between track and pineapple to fit two Landies, a motorbike and a biker’s tent. Boy if we thought we were in the bush before, we where mistaken.


This is awesome and hugely claustrophobic as the jungle pushes in on all sides and the humidity suffocates your body. There is no other sound as that what you get from the rain forest. It’s a sympthony of a thousand insects, birds, monkeys and other jungle dwellers all calling their tune. At times you feel deafened by its volume but then you realise it is because of the stillness that the orchestra seems so loud. It’s only when you speak or make a noise yourself that you realise what an intruder in these parts we are.





Anstatt an einem Tag auf gutem Asphalt nach Libreville zu kommen, haben wir uns entschlossen eine 'Abkuerzung' auf einer Piste fuer 3 Tage zu fahren! Diese Piste ist in der Regenzeit definitv nicht befahrbar und in einigen Stellen war es noch etwas rutschig! Trotzdem fuehrt diese Strecke durch huebsche Landschaft und Regenwald, der versucht bis ins Auto reinzuwachsen! Die Fahrbahn hat teilweise so tiefe Spurrillen hinterlassen, dass man auf zwei 'ruts' (wie Bahnschienen) balancieren muss damit man nicht aufgrund schlaegt. Ziemlich aufregend und schwieriges offroading aber eine schoene Fahrt mit guten Photogelegenheiten und viel Spass! Da die Strecke durch dichten Regenwald fuehrt ist es schwer ein camp zu finden. Am Ende des Tages haben wir schliesslich eine kleine Ananasfarm gefunden, wo eine Lichtung, gerade gross genug fuer 2 Landies und ein Motorrad war. Hier haben wir angehalten und wie die Sardinen camp aufgeschlagen. Es ist unglaublich den Geraeuschen im Regenwald zu lauschen, wir wuenschten uns es aufnehmen zu koennen. Man hoert keine anderen Menschen, Autos oder andere menschliche Laute, nur die Froesche, Voegel, Tree Hyrax und was sonst noch dem Orchesta beitraegt. Da fuehlt man sich schon wie ein Einbrecher in dieser tollen natuerlichen Umgebung.





Where are we? On the yellow brick road to Libreville, Gabon


Date: 25th June 2004

End GPS: N00 52.131 E010 31.613

Total Kilomtres: 20602 Km

Weather: Cloudy and drizzle

Camping: Bushcamp in somebody’s garden.

Another day of testing conditions, we took over 1 ½ hours to cover 26 Km. The track winds its way through the forest and we criss-cross rivers and splash our way through bog holes, the water coming up to the door sills. OK in a Landie but not so good for Mark on the bike. As always however he takes it in his stride and the track has been tamed by his riding. We ran right up to the artificial line between Equatorial Guinea and Gabon again today then the track turned south west toward Libreville.

Kat and I had a close encounter with the border officials as we were the last vehicle in the convoy, Mark, Stewart and Elinor having run the stop sign for passport and document inspection. We were escorted into the top dogs office where he took our passports and then insisted we stay until the other return. After 5 minutes of this I had had enough and snatched the passports back of him. He was still protesting as we drove off. Naturally I was furious and let everyone know my feelings about running police checkpoints so near to borders.


The track deteriorated again leaving us to navigate the deep ruts. S&E got themselves stuck in a rut, the front wheels sitting neatly on one side why the rears remained firm on the other. With little traction and a rear differential acting like a plough the landie was going nowhere. Steward elected to jack her up and stick sand mats under the wheels. This gave just enough traction to hop the wheels back over the rut lip. The villagers once again enjoyed watching the stupid white man trying to drive. The track soon had us climbing into the thick bush again and as it twisted and turned we soon found ourselves splashing through bog holes. It was great fun and Mark, the Bike and the Landies were covered nicely in red mud. We found a little settlement and clearing further down the way and asked the locals if we could pitch up camp there. As always they were only to happy to oblige us.




Unsere Fahrzeuge und Beherrschung dieser wird wieder vollstens ausgetest - es hat 1 ½ Stunden gedauert um 26 km hinter uns zu bringen! Wir folgen der Strecke die sich durch den Djungel windet und Flussbetten durchquert, Wasser kommt durch die Tuer in die Landies und Mark sieht aus als haette er sich im Schlamm gebadet. Er meistert dieses offroaden auf seiner geliebten Honda so gut wie kein anderer und arbeitet am haertesten. Manchmal kommen wir an kleinen Doerfern vorbei und es ist einfach unglaublich wie schoen die kleinen Haeuser sind mit all den Blumen, aber immer eine Satelittenschuessel fuer Fernseher haben! So war das nirgendwoanders bisher. An einem besonders steilen unebenen Stueck hat Elinor deren Landy in Sand gesetzt aber mit dem Highjack und Sandladders sind sie schnell wieder rausgekommen.


Als wir in einer kleinen Niederlassung ankommen, sind wir, aber besonders Mark, muede und er will nur noch anhalten. Wir haben an einem Haus einen Mann gefragt ob wir an einem anderen Haus mit Garten, wo keiner ist, unsere Zelte aufbauen koennen. Es wird uns freundlich bejaht und somit haben wir eine Lichtung und unseren eigenen Garten wo wir genug Platz fuer uns alle haben. Die Kinder kommen um uns zuzusehen wie wir die Zelte aufbauen und Stuart und David sind in den naechsten Ort gefahren um das hiesige Bier zu testen und welches zurueckzubringen. Elinor und Stuart haben dann gekocht, David und Mark haben relaxed und ich hab unsere Photos auf den Computer runtergeladen. Wir sind um 22:00 Uhr ins Bett gegangen.


Where are we? Akogo to Libreville, Gabon

Date: 26th June 2004

Weather: 20C , Cloudy and drizzle

Camping: Le Marree, ex. Auberge du Cap, Cap Esturias

We rose early to get a head start on the days drive to Libreville, the choice of a lay in taken from us by the audience of locals that had gathered outside our camp. Where ever you go in Africa you always wake to the same gathering of inquisitive souls, even when you are miles from the nearest village. For them it is their entertainment and as such we usually like to invite them to join us for tea and to explain what we are about, where we came from and where we are going. The track improved to a graded piste that ran us through lush forest, as the way improved so our pace quickened. The convoy soon strung out and we enjoyed ourselves emmensley as the beautiful scenery past us by. We eventually came out onto the tar road just 80 or so kilometres from Libreville. We hit the outskirts of the city and the traffic. We had been given the coordinates for an Aurberge on the Cap Esturias pininsular which meant we did not have to venture into the city. We skirted around the city on the ring road and headed for our destination. Aurberge du Cap proved to be a good bet, apart from the caged chimpanzee that they kept there…..WHY?. We were amazed to find that the French lady owner wanted no payment for our stay. Instead she gave us a room for showering and toilet and then said we could make a donation to the cleaning lady. What a bargain. The Aurberge is set in a beautiful area of unspoilt sandy beaches and forest. It's deserted in the week only coming to life at weekends and holidays when the ex pat community invades to wine and dine. We have renamed the place Ourberge as we have the place entirely to ourselves, even the owner living elsewhere. Our only companions here are 4 dogs that roam free here, they seem to have adopted us and now live in our camp. There is one other resturant next to us run by a French couple and so we decided to eat out. Our desire to let someone else cook for us however was short lived. We arrived to find the couple completely drunk. It was their daughter's christening and the party had gone on all afternoon. The hardcore were still there inhaling their pastis, the owners appeared and joined us at our table. The man immediately took a shine to Stewart, now Stewarts grasp of French is OK but when faced with a drunk Frenchman understanding is difficult, particularly when the Frenchmans dialogue consists maninly of whistles, grunts and frantic gesticulating and his false teeth keep popping out of his mouth. Oh well we went home hungry but well entertained.


Um 7:00 Uhr sind wir nach noch einer nassen ungemuetlichen Nacht aufgestanden und hatten schon eine gesamte Audienz vor unseren Zelten. Wir haben Fruehstueck gemacht und uns mit einem Mann vom Dorf unterhalten, der uns ein Buch ueber seinen Praesidenten stolz gezeigt hat. Die Kinder haben nur gekichert und ich habe dem einen Maedchen ein Kleid von mir geschenkt (sie war die einzige der es passte) und den anderen Bonbons. Wir sind dann losgefahren und die Strecke fuehrte wieder durch dichten Wald mit schoenen Pflanzen und Schmetterlingen. Die Piste wurde immer schlechter und als wir endlich Asphalt erreichten, bestand dieser nur aus riesigen Schlagloechern! Wir sind am Nachmittag in Libreville angekommen und sofort an einem totem Hund vorbeigefahren - die harte Realitaet Afrikas! Hunde werden meistens wie die Pest behandelt, und Dreck ist ueberall, manchmal bricht es mir das Herz und dann hab ich die Schnauze voll von Afrika und vom Reisen….aber das ist wohl normal. Auf der Strasse ins Zentrum war Chaos und es war fast wie in Europa, wie die meisten Hauptstaedte in Afrika, aber trotzdem ist es fast jedesmal ein Schock und totaler Kontrast nachdem wir so lange im Regenwald waren. Wir wollten am Cap Esturias campen, als wir da ankamen hat uns die Franzoesische Besitzerin freundlich begruesst und uns erlaubt dort umsonst zu campen, sie will nur 5 Euro fuer die Zeit die wir da sind und hat uns ein Zimmer zum Duschen usw. Gegeben, cool! Leider hat sie mit Tieren auch nicht viel am Hut und hat zwei Kaefige mit Affen, einer sogar mit einem Schimpanzen und jedesmal wenn man daran vorbeigeht um zum Strand zu kommen, springt er an die Gitter und guckt einen mit grossen traurigen Augen an und haelt die Hand aus - mir dreht sich mein Magen und wir alle wollen hier nur noch so schnell wie moeglich weg, aber wir muessen unsere Visa beantragen und koennen nirgendwoanders campen… Wir sind nach nebenan in eine Bar/Restaurant gegangen, wo das franzoesische Ehepaar gerade die Taufe ihrer Toechter gefeiert haben. Die waren absolut stoned und betrunken und haben immer vergessen das wir da waren, uns das Bier billiger gegeben und dann hat der Mann uns von seiner Reise vor 10 Jahren nach Asien versucht zu erzaehlen aber mehr dabei gepfiffen als geredet - wir haben uns totgelacht und sind dann wieder zu unserem Camp gegangen wo wir leckere Schrimps zu Abend gegessen haben.


Where are we? Cap Esturias, Gabon

Date: 27th June - 2nd July 2004

Camping: Le Marree, ex. Auberge du Cap, Cap Esturias

The days where spent relaxing, going into Libreville to obtain our Congo and Angolan visas and servicing the Landies. Libreville is about a 30 minute drive away from the Aurberge. It is very developed with a large ex pat community. The president has been in power here since 1969, the longest standing president in Africa. He's a clever guy developing very close relations with the 1st world in particular the French who now station thousands of troops in the country. This acts to safeguard his security from prospective coupes led by his own armed forces as well keeping his neighbours in check. The French in return get access to Gabon's fabulous wealth of natural resources. Gabon's riches back in the 70's and 80's were only surpassed by Libya and South Africa. Sadly the presidents' plans to reinvest this wealth in his country and people failed, becoming a victim of the African plague of poor management, corruption and bureaucratic melt down. The country is still very developed with good road infrastructure and services in most major towns and cities. Libreville itself has a European feel to it, more so than other cities we have visited. The streets are lined with boutiques, patisseries and large supermarkets stocked full of western desires. It also has a beautiful setting on the coast and unlike other cities has refrained from lining the coast road with high rises; as such it has a nice boulevard with the ocean on one side and the city the other. It also has a fabulous harbour where you can buy the latest local catch or dine at one of several fancy European restaurants.


Wir sind hier geblieben um unsere Visa zu beantragen und unsere Fahrzeuge einen Service zu geben und wurden von allen Hunden am Cap adoptiert und beschuetzt. Sie sind mit uns am Strand spazierengegangen, haben uns begruesst wenn wir aus der Stadt gekommen sind, haben uns zur Bar begleitet und unsere Mahlzeiten mit uns eingenommen. Die Armen, wir wollten sie am liebsten alle mitnehmen! Die Botschaften waren alle nebeneinander. Erst haben wir unser Angolisches Visa beantragt, aber nur zwei von uns durften in die Botschaft rein, da wir anderen keine langen Hosen und vernuenftige Schuhe anhatten - wir haben dies immer gehoert und uns immer viel Muehe beim Anziehen unser Botschaftstage gegeben, aber immer vergebens, und heute war es das erste Mal das wir Pech hatten. Trotzdem, nachdem ich meine Flipflops gegen Sandalen und David seine Shorts gegen lange Hosen ausgetauscht haben durften wir auch rein und die Dame in der Rezeption hat sogar Deutsch gesprochen und war sehr kompliziert aber auch sehr nett. Am naechsten Tag konnten wir unsere Paesse wieder abholen und sind gleich nebenan zum Congo (Brazzaville) Embassy gegangen, war auch kein Problem und naechsten Tag konnten wir unsere Visa abholen. Dann sind wir zur Botschaft der Demokratischen Republik Congos gegangen und die war zu, es war Unabhaengigkeitstag in Congo! Der Empfang dort war sehr nett und hat den Konsul gerufen der uns hoeflich erklaert hat dass wenn wir morgen frueh gleich kommen, keonnten wir das Visa noch am gleichen Tag bekommen! Wir waren sehr erstaunt wie unproblematisch es war fuer diese Laender Visum zu bekommen. Auf dem Weg zurueck hatten wir ploetzlich einen Platten! Als wir wieder am Cap ankamen und den Reifen ausgewechselt haben hatten eine Messerklinge im Reifen! Wie wir das geschafft haben wissen wir auch nicht. Am naechsten Tag wollten alle weiter und ploetzlich ziemlich schnell, aber David und ich wollten noch unsere Website hochladen und zu einem Reifenfixer gehen um den Reifen zu reparieren. Wir haben etwas diskutiert und ich habe Mark und Stuart veraergert, da ich es unfaehr fand, dass wir ploetzlich hektisch frueh los muessen, wo wir vorher auch auf die mal gewartet haben. Der Abend hinterliess etwas bitteren Geschmack und David und ich sind an Strand gegangen und haben uns mit Whisky betaeubt, ich war ziemlich enttaeuscht von denen. Aber wie es kam und ich auch dachte, haben Mark und ich uns schnell wieder verstanden, da er so ist wie ich und lieber sagt was ihm nicht passt, aber Stuart, der typisch Englisch ist und keine Kritik ab kann und lieber schluckt oder hinter einem Ruecken laestert, konnte damit leider nicht so gut umgehen…. Wir haben uns aber doch am naechsten Tag alle wieder vertragen.








DuK © Site sponsored by