July 2005


Where are we: Kyambura Gorge, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

Date: 1st July 2005

End GPS: S00 11.310 E030 06.078

Total Kilometres: 62170km

Weather: Sunny and warm

Camping: Fig Tree Camp

We are now heading north into the heart of Uganda, in search of forest chimpanzee. Our final destination shall be Budongo forest northwest of Fort Portal where a group of chimpanzee regularly come to feed on the mango trees of the nearby village. The route shall lead us through the Queen Elizabeth National park and over the escarpment that fringes the great Ruwenzori mountains or Mountains of the Moon as they are more romantically referred too. This is classic Ugandan scenery, lush green rolling hills and thick forests. Sadly most of the wildlife in the QE park was wiped out during the Tanzanian / Uganda conflict, but the park is still scenic and worth a visit especially if you are intending to visit Muchison falls.

We filled the DuK with diesel and food and headed toward Mbarara where we would turn north. There is a shorter route but our steering arm has come loose again and I need to find a lock washer and a socket large enough to fit the oversize nut, It's a Land Rover !!!!

We wobbled our way to the town, avoiding the kamakazee buss drivers who drive blind on our side of the road making us swerve off the road to avoid a head on, no luck on finding the socket or lock washer so we made some temporary repairs and headed north.

We reached the QE park just in time for sunset, driving off the tar road for 2 km we came upon Fig Tree camp, a lovely camp set above the Kyamburu gorge. We looked for someone to sign in with and ask the price of camping but the place was deserted. Oh well they would obviously come in the morning and we would have to hope that the charge for camping was acceptable............they never came!!! we never paid and so we had a free bushcamp. The view into the gorge is wonderful and made a fine backdrop as the red fireball sun set in the west.

We enjoyed an enjoyable night, Kat cooked a very nice beef stir fry with noodles in the pokje and we had a tipple of whisky to enjoy the nights sky star gazing, soon we shall have a new heavenly body over us as the southern cross and hemisphere constellations give way to the more familiar polar star and northern heavens. A very peaceful evening.


Es war ein wunderschoener klarer Morgen und somit sind wir guter Stimmung weiter in den Norden Uganda's gefahren um uns auf die Suche auf Schimpanzen zu machen. Unsere Gemuesefrau hat uns noch eine Papaya geschenkt und spaeter in Mbarara angehalten und eine passende Nuss fuer unseren Lenkungsarm zu suchen. Die Lenkung wackelt schon wieder ohne Ende und keiner hat die grosse Nuss! Die Ugander sind die schlimmsten und schnellsten Fahrer bisher in Afrika (ausser vielleicht Nigeria) und da macht das mit einer wobbeligen Lenkung nicht so viel Spass...

Es war schon ziemlich spaet und wir wussten nicht wo wir anhalten sollten, sind weiter zum Queen Elizabeth Park gefahren, wo man einfach so durchfahren kann und Kobs sieht und bei Glueck Elephanten. Die Daemmerung fiel und wir konnten kein bushcamp finden. Dann sind wir zur Kyambara Gorge gefahren und ein Schild zum Fig Tree Camp gefolgt. Als wir dort ankamen auf 2-3 km schoener Piste durch's hohe Gras, wurden wir erstmal von bellenden Kobs (Antilopen) empfangen. Die sind so suess und schuechtern, waren aber ganz mutig und neugierig und haben uns beobachtet.... Es gab eine Schranke und wir haben die Rezeption gesucht. Alles war abgeschlossen und keiner war da. Wir haben immer wieder gerufen und uns auf Spurensuche gemacht, aber keine Menschenseele gefunden. Da die Sonne gerade unterging haben wir uns beschlossen einfach hier zu campen und dann am Morgen mit jemanden den Preis besprechen. Gerade als wir Tee machen wollten ging uns das Gas aus uns somit haben wir mit dem Kelly Kettle Tee aufgebrueht und zum Glueck noch mit ein paar Kohlen unser Abendessen im Pojke gekocht. Es war echt schoen hier und so ruhig, doch leider haben wir keine Elephanten gesehen. Nach dem obligatorischen Sternegucken sind wir dann frueh ins Bett gegangen.

Where are we: Lake Nkurugu, Uganda

Date: 2nd - 3rd July 2005

End GPS: N00 31.109 E030 18.140

Total Kilometres: 62,424km

Weather: Hot and humid

Camping: Lake Nkurugu Camp

The route north is a mix of tar and maram surfaces in varying states of repair. The maram road was in a poor state and our speed dropped dramatically to avoid the potholes and rocks. The weather is threatening again and we are concerned that if it rains we shall yet again have no grip on the slippery surface. Hopefully we shall cross the equator today, this is our forth and probably last time of crossing the great circle. Enroute we saw buffalo, kob, and waterbuck. We arrived in Fort Portal early and made straight for the Ruwenzori Hotel where we enjoyed a fine breakfast before we embarked on a day trip to the DRC border. Yvonne and Remo had told us that the drive was very scenic with sweeping vistas of the rainforest......haven't we seen enough of that stuff? Guess not. The drive was indeed scenic and reminiscent of being back in the Congo. We climbed and descended switch backs that gave us lovely views over the thick canopy of Parc National De Virunga rainforest below us. We had hoped to go to some hot springs near Bundibugyo in the Semuliki National Park, alas they wanted over $30US just for a 2 hour visit.........still we did make a quick drive into the park, unofficially and got to see quite a few pygmies.

We drove back to the outskirts of Fort Portal and then diverted off toward Lake Nkurugu, an extinct volcanic crater that over the years filled with water that now is bright green. The lake is safe to swim in and so we indulged ourselves, although it was a trifle "squary" as the bubbles rose from out of the murky green deep water.....The camp here is very nice and friendly and Kat and I set about making Pizza in the Potje......a great success except that we ate by far to much and felt totally bloated after our over indulgence. In fact we had so much dough left that we made a loaf of bread from it.

It was so relaxing here we decided to stay for an additional day.



Als wir morgens schon frueh aufwachten hatten wir einen schoenen Sonnenaufgang ueber die Gorge und Savannah und es war immer noch keiner da. Nachdem wir einen Tee gemacht haben sind wir dann einfach losgefahren. Cool so ein camp zu finden und umsonst dort zu schlafen! Um 8:00 Uhr gings los und die Strasse fuehrte direkt an der Kongo (DRC) Grenze vorbei, wo wir uns vor fast einem Jahr befanden, und wieder einmal haben wir den Aequator ueberquert. Als wir in Fort Portal ankamen haben wir Kerosin gekauft un dann erstmal im Rwenzori Guesthouse schoen gefruehstueckt. Von hier wollten wir nur zum Lake Nkurugu, einem Kratersee, angeblich 200 m tief. Da der nur 9 km weiter weg ist haben wir uns beschlossen zu den Hot Springs in Bundibugyo an der Kongo Grenze zu fahren. Die Fahrt war wunderschoen mit Aussicht auf die Rwenzori Mountains und spaeter den Parc National de Virunga im Kongo, wo es auch noch Gorillas gibt. Leider war es mal wieder so diesig dass man keine gute Photos machen konnte...

Bei den Hot Springs sind uns dann auch wieder ein paar Pygmaenen entgegen gekommen, die in diesen Regenwaeldern leben und sich selbst versorgen. Fuer die Hot Springs sollten wir 30US$ Eintritt bezahlen, nur um dort eine halbe Stunde rumzulaufen!! Also haben wir das nicht gemacht und sind wieder zurueckgefahren. In Fort Portal mussten wir Holzkohle kaufen und die Damen wollten mich alle verarschen und haben mir immer nur den Mzungu-Preis genannt. Ich wurde dann sauer und habe gar keine gekauft. Als wir beim Nkurugu See ankamen konnten wir dort campen und haben Holz eingesammelt um zu kochen und Tee zu machen. Der See war ziemlich klein aber sehr ruhig und entspannend und das Wasser eiskalt!

Wir sind noch am naechsten Tag geblieben und mit einem leeren Wasserkanister im See gepaddelt. Spaeter haben wir ganz lecker auf Kohle Pizzas gemacht.

Where are we: Budongo Forest, Uganda

Date: 4th - 5th July 2005

End GPS: N01 42.928 E031 28.170

Total Kilometres: 62, 699km

Weather: Humid

Camping: Busingiro Eco Camp

An easy day of driving to the eco camp at Budungo Forest where we are hope to see chimps in their natural habitat. Indeed, as we set up and enjoyed a cup of tea we heard the screams and commotion of the chimps somewhere in the village, where they come to eat the mango fruits in the evening. Kat and I decided to head out to see if we could get a sighting but alas we caught but only a glimpse of a chimps ass as he scampered out of the tree upon hearing our approach. Still not to worry as we shall go on a trek through the forest in the morning.

It's a good set up they have here. If we were to go chimp trekking in Kibale NP, it alone would cost us $70US each plus then camping. Here at Budungo it cost a mere $15US per person and that includes camping......cooool

So next morning we doned our walking gear, packed our packs and armed ourselves with tourist "oozie" 35mm's, and set off into the "Heart of Darkness" ready for our encounter with the chimps. The chimps had a different idea however and seemed to play with us by calling and screeching from all around, yet they remained aloof and invisible to us. They sounded so close but always out of sight and then suddenly we saw one high in the canopy of the trees. Not to pleased to see us is all I could gather as the chimp got extremely upset by our presence and screeched and thrashed about in the tree and then stopped dead and stared us out. We took as best photos we could of a chimp high in a tree with the sunlight behind, but hey at least we saw the guy. After that the chimps played with us by calling and leading us deeper into the forest. The stupid white ape was only to happy to lumber along after them. We never saw them for the rest of the morning, but the walk through the forest was fun and our guide made it educational and interesting. Its a far cry from the great mountain apes who were only to happy to have us come right into their home, the chimps are much more aloof and protective of their territory. Strange as we had expected it to be the other way round.

We later returned to the village in the hope of seeing the chimps cross the road to the mango trees and indeed we were able to spy a couple cross over before they vanished into the thick grasses. OK it wasn't the best sightings in the world of chimps but it was their habitat and any sighting of them here is better then none. We were extremely pleased that at least here man and ape are living in happy proximity to each other.


Heute ging's weiter und nachdem David diesmal boese wurde mit den Kohleverkaeufern hab ich dann doch noch welche fuer einen normalen Preis auf dem Markt von einer anderen Dame bekommen! Die Strasse noerdlich war nicht so toll und wir sind den ganzen Tag gefahren bis wir um 15:50 Uhr im Budonga Forest Reserve im Busingiro Camp ankamen. Hier war es sehr schattig aber angenehm und wieder so ruhig. Wir haben sofort Camp aufgeschlagen und sind dann zu Fuss in die kleine Siedlung gelaufen, da Remo und Yvonne uns einen Tipp gaben dass die Schimpanzen dort immer aus dem Regenwald kommen und beim Dorf die Mangos klauen. Wir haben uns dann bei jemanden vor 's Feld gesetzt und gewartet....Wie das immer so ist hatten wir natuerlich kein Glueck und sind etwas enttaeuscht zurueckgegangen um zu Abend zu essen.

Als wir gerade Tee gekocht haben, haben wir ploetzlich ein riesen Theater, Geschreie und Gekreische gehoert und waren uns sicher das waren die Schimpanzen! Wir haben alles stehen und liegen gelassen und sind wieder losgelaufen, haben einen Guide getroffen, der mit uns dann durch alle Hintergaerten bei dem Haeusern vorbei zu den Mangobaeumen gefuehrt hat. Es war schon Daemmerung und nach ein paar Minuten haben wir endlich welche in den Baeumen gesehen! Einige sind abgehauen und eine sehr laute Schimpanzin hat sich oben in einer Baumgabel versteckt und runtergeschimpft. Das war cool und sehr aufregend! Danach sind wir zurueck zum Camp haben noch mehr Tee getrunken und sind mit Vorfreude auf den morgigen Trek im Regenwald ins Bett gegangen.

Um 6:00 Uhr sind wir aufgestanden und es war noch sehr kuehl und dunkel. Schnell haben wir Kaffee und Brote gemacht und sind dann schon um 6:30 Uhr losgelaufen. Unser Tracker, Vincenz, war sehr nett und suess. Ein aelterer Mann der die Schimpanzen wirklich mag und sich mit ihren Spuren auskennt. Hier in Budonga Forest Reserve kann man fuer 7Euro campen und gleichzeitig den Trek machen (alles inbegriffen). Somit ist dies die billigste Option in Uganda Schimps zu sehen, aber auch nicht garantiert, dass man sie sieht, da sie ja wild sind und hier nicht habituiert werden...

Gleich als wir wieder bei der Siedlung ankamen sahen wir 2 Schimpanzen ueber die Strasse laufen, cheeky monkeys! Dann sind wir erstmal zu den Mangobaeumen aber da waren sie schon wieder weg. Also hat Vincenz uns durch den dichten Regenwald (arghhh, nicht gerade mein liebster Platz auf der Erde!!) gefuehrt und mit seiner Machette den Weg frei gemacht. Nach ca. einer Stunde konnten wir sie wieder kreischen hoeren und waren ploetzlich ganz nah. Es war so dunkel hier drin dass wir sie erst sehen konnten als wir ziemlich dicht dranwaren. Wieder die laute Schimpdame die diesmal ganz hoch oben auf einer Baumkrone sass und gemeckert hat wie ein altes Fischweib! Die Photos sind leider nichts geworden, aber dafuer eine kleine Videoaufzeichnung mit dem Geschrei! Die Schimpanzen sind total anders als die Gorillas und gerne oben auf den Baeumen und bewegen sich viel mehr. Obwohl wir danach noch weiter den Geraeuschen gefolgt sind und immer tiefer in den Regenwald haben wir sie nur noch hoeren koennen, aber nicht mehr gesehen. Schade, aber so sollte es ja auch eigentlich sein mit wilden Tieren! Am Spaetnachmittag sind wir wieder zu dem Weg gegangen wo sie immer rauskommen und haben uns an Strassenrand gesetzt und gewartet. Leider war heute viel Betrieb, Frauen kamen aus dem Wald mit Feuerholz, Kinder auf Fahrraedern und einige betrunkene Maenner sind rumgelaufen mit Transitorradio auf der Schulter. Gerade wollten wir gehen, da hab ich ein Gesicht aus den Straeuchern gucken gesehen. Als ich die Kamera endlich anhatte war es schon wieder weg....Dann ist noch einer ueber die Strasse gelaufen und gleich wieder zurueckgelaufen da einfach zu viele Menschen unterwegs waren. Wir sind dann zurueck zum Camp, haben Abend gegessen und die Schimpanzen diese Nacht auch nicht gehoert.....Trotzdem ein tolles Erlebnis!!


Where are we: Kampala, Uganda

Date: 6th -11th July 2005

Total Kilometres: 62, 900 km

Weather: Humid, Rain and Sunshine

Camping: Backpackers Red Chilli Hideaway

We have headed back to Kampala on our way back to Kenya. We have things to do here and shall spend a few days trying to get gas and do a few repairs and maintenance on the DuK and ourselves. Kampala is a frustrating city as it is so difficult to get things done, in effect we have been here nearly a week and achieved virtually nothing. Kampala is certainly my least favourite city in Africa.


Wir haben ausgeschlafen, schoen gefruehstueckt und sind dann wieder nach Kampala gefahren. Hier muessen wir einige Tage bleiben und Sachen erledigen bevor es weiter wieder nach Kenya geht. Diese Stadt ist verrueckt und hat uns tierisch angenervt nach ein paar Tagen, da man nichts auf die Reihe kriegt hier, irgendwie merkwuerdig.....Es war unmoeglich und unverstaendlich wieso, aber wir konnten einfach kein Gas hier bekommen!! Irgendwann haben wir aufgegeben und die Stadt hinter uns gelassen.


Where are we: Jinga, Uganda

Date: 12th - 14th July 2005

Total Kilometres: 63, 167 km

Weather: Hot and Sunny

Camping: Helmut's House

We have stopped in Jinga to visit Helmut whom we met in Bwindi and who invited us to go and stay at his place. Helmut is a great Bavarian who still wears his Ledehosen in the evenings....them crazy Bavarians!!!. Still we can't hold a bit of leather against a man, well I would rather not that is, I can't speak for Kat......

Thanks Helmut for a great few days of rest & relaxation at your place. Hope the renovations are going well!!!! and all the best for the tours. See you again sometime!!!

Oh and if your wondering what the photo is, I'am changing yet another spider on the front prop.


Wir sind das kurze Stueck nach Jinja gefahren, wo wir Helmut besucht haben. David hat Helmut in Bwindi kennengelernt, waehrend ich Gorilla gucken war. Helmut kommt aus Muenchen und lebt in Jinja und hat seine eigene Safarifirma und hat uns koestlich bekocht und sehr lieb betreut als wir bei ihm waren. Wir haben es uns gut gehen lassen und hatten viel Spass mit dem Bayern :) Vielen tausend Dank noch mal! Wir kommen wieder!

Where are we: Eldoret, Kenya

Date: 15th - 16th July 2005

End GPS: N00 26 .862 E35 25.327

Total Kilometres: 63, 459 km

Weather: Hot and sunny but cold at night

Camping: New Overland Stop

We are trying to make some progress now and get some kilometres under our feet. We are quite behind schedule for meeting up with Remo and Yvonne in Lloyangalani on Lake Turkana. The driving is swift on good old black top and we have arrived in Eldoret enroute to Lake Baringo. We are staying at the NEW Overland Stop camp that is owned by the legendary mad man himself, Raj!! What a guy and what a place. Once again I must say many many thanks for completely OTT hospitality. The whisky never stopped flowing and Raj showed us around his textile factory and then took us for a great traditional Indian lunch. Thanks man it was a great time spent with you, good luck with the new camp, here's wishing you many many good parties there. We'll always be remembered by the door stop!!

The only thing Toyota are good at making.....


Wir haben uns von Helmut verabschiedet und sind schnell auf guter Strasse vorangekommen. Die Grenzueberquerung verlief gut und zuegig und somit sind wir um 17:00 Uhr in Eldoret, Kenya, angekommen. Hier haben wir das neue Overland Camp von Raj, einem verueckten Inder, gefunden und mussten dann auch gleich mit Raj Bier trinken wobei er uns ganz stolz ueber sein neues Camp gefuehrt hat. Am naechsten Tag sind wir nach Eldoret gefahren und haben bei der Kaesefabrik 2 kg Kaese ! fuer nur 7 US$ gekauft, hmm lecker! Danach haben wir uns mit Raj bei seiner Textilfabrik getroffen und wurden unter die Fittiche genommen. Erst wurde uns die gesamte Fabrik und Maschinen gezeigt, dann sind wir zu einem Indischen Maennerclub gefahren, wo wir ganz leckeres Curry gegessen haben, dann zum Obstmarkt, zum Eisessen und dann wieder zurueck zu unserem Landy, der frisch gewaschen wie nagelneu auf dem Parkplatz stand! Was fuer eine Gastfreundschaft!


Where are we: Lake Baringo, Kenya

Date: 17th July 2005

End GPS: N00 36.749 E036 01.445

Total Kilometres: 63, 676km

Weather: Hot, hot and hotter

Camping: Robert's Camp

A beautiful drive today up and over the escarpment and over passes leading us back across the Rift valley. The scenery is stunning and we are just cruising enjoying the sun and fresh air and little traffic. Awesome! Then we descended and the scenery changed dramatically from the sheer rock cliffs and lush green hills to sand and dusty rock strewn desert. It feels and smells like coming into Namibia again. We shall overnight here at Roberts camp that nestles in the reeds of Lake Baringo. This is a birders paradise and indeed we were greeted by some very forward birdies who immediately seized the DuK as theirs and set about pecking or nesting on her roof. This is a beautiful setting and it is a shame we cannot stay a few days to enjoy the warm air and relaxed atmosphere here.

We are certainly enjoying rather nice dinners at the moment, The potjke is in full use every night cooking us lovely stews of fillet steak, with mushrooms or carrot and potato. Kat has become a dab hand at the South African art and we are lucky to have plenty of mouth watering fillet steak onboard the DuK. Where else in the world can you buy a kilo of prime succulent fillet beef for $3US..........Carnivore, you bet I am!!!!

We retired to bed early as we heard the storm coming, feeling the all to familiar buffeting as its windy hands fingered and probed the camp. Luckily we were well fed and watered and retired to bed listening to Harry Potter on MP3 before the storm hit. Alas others in the camp did not fair so well as the downpour put a damper on their BBQs.


Hier oben war es ziemlich frisch und kuehl und wir haben nachts gefroren. Nachdem wir uns von Raj verabschiedet haben ging die Strasse durch schoene huegelige Landschaft ueber einige Paesse, aber wie immer war die Sicht nicht gut und somit nicht gut zum Photographieren. Wir sind ueber 2000 m gefahren und es war tierisch windig. Nachdem wir durch Kabernet (wie der Wein nur mit K) kamen wurde die Landschaft ploetzlich mehr Savannenaehnlich, buschig und heiss, fast wie in Namibia.

In Lake Baringo haben wir beim Roberts Camp angehalten und auch gleich Hippos gesehen. Wir haben unser DuK unter Akazienbaeume (nicht sehr clever wegen Reifen!) im Schatten abgestellt, mit guten Blick auf den rosafarbigen See. Das Camp war ganz cool und wir haben frueh die Kohlen heiss gemacht, den Pojke raufgestellt und sind ein bisschen auf Entdeckungsreise gegangen. Hier lebt eine riesige Schildkroete, 65 Jahre alt und total suess. Sie hat meine Tomatenreste geliebt und mein Nackenkraueln auch. Dann haben wir uns auf den Bootsteg gesetzt und die Hippos und Krokodile bei einem Bier, beim Sonnenuntergang beobachtet. Sehr romantisch und schoen! Wir sind frueh ins Bett gegangen da wir schon den Sturm hoeren konnten und haben uns mit Harry Potter MP3 im Zelt verkrochen waehrend die anderen Gaeste ihr Abendessen wohl mit ins Zelt nehmen mussten nachdem die Wolken sich oeffneten....

Where are we: Maralal, Kenya

Date: 18th -19th July 2005

End GPS: N01 03.511 E036 42.671

Total Kilometres: 63, 843km

Weather: Raining

Camping: Yare Camel Safari Lodge

Next morning the rain was still drizzling down and we packed up camp and then paid a visit to the camp tortoise, who at 65 years of age is enjoying his retirement. It's kind of cool having a camp giant tortoise rather then the usual camp dog or cat.

Today shall lead us further north towards the great Lake Turkana, along who's shores we shall continue northing into Ethiopia. We have chosen this route for a few reasons, namely. It is more scenic then the main route via Marsabit to Moyale, it shall take us back out into the middle of nowhere where we can be self dependent again and it is without the problems of tribal conflict that are affecting the Marsabit region at the moment. Further it shall allow us a glimpse into the lives of the Turkana and Samburu tribes that lives alongside the lake shore.

First stop on our itinerary is the small town of Maralal, home to the famous Camel Derby, that was established and run by, would you believe, an Englishman from Topsham......just over the river from where I grew up.........what a small world.

The road north deteriorated quickly, no more tar till Ethiopia. Gravel turned to sand and sand gave way to mud and bogholes. The nights rain had turned the road into a big mud trap, further complicated by zig zagging detours that led us into the thick undergrowth as we tried to avoid the major bogholes. It was still drizzling and the drive was tiring but as is always the case rewarding in the challenges it threw up. We hadn't seen another vehicles all day, but as we slid our way down a particularly bad section we saw another Landie coming toward us. As it neared we saw its colouring was sandy brown military camouflage with a Union Flag adorning it. It took me a few seconds to register and place the vehicle in these unusual surroundings, but sure enough it was the British Army!! We were both too busy navigating the mud to stop but waved as we passed. What on earth we thought was a British Landie doing out here on its own? We would discover the reason why the next morning.

We arrived at the GPS coordinates for the Yare Camel camp. This is a true oasis in a flat barren land. Originally set up and run by an Englishman, the camp is famous for the camel derby, a kind of eccentric version of the famous horse Derby. Sadly we are a month to early and so shall miss the spectacle of hundreds of camels going flat out with their riders holding on for dear life..

The camp has good facilitates and is very pleasant except that was for the weather that still drizzled down making the way slippery as hell. Next day we woke to more rain and made the decision to wait on the weather, unsure of how muddy the pass over the escarpment would be or if indeed it was passable. Further, our chance meeting with a group of US medical students and their teacher had informed us that the head of the Anthropological dig at Kobi Fora on the northern shore of Lake Turkana was currently on his way down south and would be at the camp later in the afternoon, this meant we would be able to gain valuable information on the route up along the lake.

We headed into town to buy supplies and check on the availability of diesel as it would be prudent for us to refill our tanks before we head out into the unknown. As we reached the outskirts of the small town we passed the police station, which to our surprise and amazement was full of sandy brown camouflage Land Rovers and Bedford trucks. The British army was here in strength. We pulled into the police station, pleased to see familiar faces. We introduced ourselves to the guys and gals, of A(II) Med SQN 4 GS MR, Aldershot. I wasn't sure who was the more surprised, us to see them or them to see us. It turned out that the guys and gals were on a sort of R&R that also served as a medical operation to assist local villages with rare and exotic illnesses that local medical care could not treat. The R&R element was in the time that could be taken to relax in places like Mombassa, a treat well deserved as Major Nigel Partington had informed us that the division had recently returned from a long tour of duty in Iraq. As we readied to head into town the guys insisted we return in the morning as they would have some treats for our onward trip. Intrigued we headed to town to finish our chores.

Next day we rose early and headed down the mud track to rendezvous with the guys before they broke camp and shipped out back to Nairobi. When we arrived they were nearly decamped. To Major Nigel, Capt Matt Oakes, Woz Dave Jenkin and all the guys and gals of A (II) Med SQN a big big thank you for the gifts and words of support with which you left us. Our trip was certainly more comfortable and enjoyable after our restock of supplies and diesel. Your generosity and friendship were wonderful and I felt proud. Thanks to all of you and see you back home in blighty for a beer or two.

We headed back to camp and made ready to leave, however as I made checks on the DuK, I discovered that we had lost the mud guard on the front left disc brake, worse still the brake pad had also been stripped from its metal bracket. The result was horrible scaring on the disc and effectively no front left brake. What made the matter worse was that I had no spare disc pads!!! So we headed back into town and luckily found a shop selling automotive parts. After changing the pads we were ready to go north into the unknown.


Es hat die ganze Nacht geregnet und die Hippos konnte ich auch hoeren, also bin ich nicht zum Pinkeln aufgestanden und somit mit den ersten Sonnenstrahlen aufgestanden. Beim Bootsteg habe ich die Kingfisher beim Fischen und die Hippos beobachtet. Langsam ging die Sonne auf und dann wurde es schon wieder grau. Die Hornbill-Voegel liebten unser Zelt und haben ueberall dran gepickt. Wir haben zusammengepackt, es fing an zu regnen und die Strasse war schlecht und unsere Reifen noch schlechter....Unterwegs nach Maralal haben wir schon viele Samburu und ein paar Turkana Stammesleute gesehen. Sehr interessant mit all ihren Ketten und Schmuck, sehr aehnlich wie die Masai. Kurz vor Maralal haben wir dann einfach so in der Wildniss ein paar Giraffen gesehen, mussten uns aber so konzentrieren dass wir nicht von der Strasse abglitschen und im furchtbaren "Black Cotton Soil" enden, dass wir das gar nicht so richtig wahrnehmen konnten. Kamele gab es auch schon ein paar und um 14:15 Uhr sind wir im Yare Safari Camel Club angekommen. Dieses Camp gehoerte mal einem Mann von Topsham, Devon, und David war ganz aufgeregt, da das direkt gegenueber ist von wo er herkommt.

Wir sind dann noch mal auf eine Rutschpartie ins Dorf gefahren um Internet zu checken und zu sehen, wo Remo und Yvonne jetzt sind. Ein cooles Dorf, was fast nur aus Samburus besteht, die einem dann auch noch in voller Montur beim Emailen ueber die Schulter gucken..... Auf dem Rueckweg haben wir kurz bei der Polizei angehalten um ueber die Sicherheitssituation in der Region und am Lake Turkana zu fahren und haben gestutzt als wir Land Rover und Bedford Trucks der British Army sahen. David hat sich natuerlich gefreut und sofort mit den Jungs geredet und es stellte sich heraus dass sie Medical Help hier machen, da sie das letzte Jahr in Irak waren und in Kenya relaxen und gleichzeitig Impfungen durchfuehren. Die waren total nett und lustig und ueberhaupt nicht die harten Jungs vom Bund! Wir waren die einzigen die den Major mit seinem Vornamen ansprechen durften und haben auch gleich Schokolade und noch mehr Mueckencreme bekommen. Falls wir noch mehr braeuchten sollten wir morgen noch mal wieder kommen bevor sie um 10:00 Uhr weiter fahren. Die Jungs konnten uns und unsere Reise ueberhaupt nicht verstehen und haben immer gefragt "Ihr habt aber Waffen dabei, oder?" mit Panik ueber Afrika in den Augen.....Dabei kamen die gerade von der Front!!!

Es hat natuerlich wieder nur absolut geregnet und wir hatten darauf absolut kein Bock mehr. Unsere Reifen machten uns zu schaffen und als es am naechsten Morgen wieder nur regnete haben wir uns beschlossen, hier einen Tag zu warten und hoffen dass die Strassen besser werden wenn es mal trocken wird und dass wir von Remo und Yvonne hoeren.

Dann ging es wieder zur British Army und wir haben ein bisschen gequatscht, die haben unsere Diesel tanks aufgefuellt, ihre Rationen gegeben, Kekse und noch mehr Antimueckencreme! Als sie fragten ob wir noch irgendwas braeuchten und ich im Scherz sagte, ja, neue Reifen! Da haben sie nur gesagt, wieso habt ihr das gestern nicht gesagt, wir haetten ein paar "Loecher arrangieren koennen" und somit haetten wir 4 oder 6 neue gute Michelin XZL Profilreifen bekommen koennen - David hat sich fast in Arsch gebissen! Na-ja, wir haben uns bedankt und Photos gemacht und wurden auch gleich zur Weihnachtsfeier in England eingeladen....Echt nette Leute!

Den Rest des Tages haben wir im Regen ausgehagt und David ist zu Fuss ins Dorf gegangen um ein Teil fuer DuK zu besorgen, das kaputt ging nachdem die Briten schon weg waren....


Where are we: Lloyangalani, Lake Turkana, Kenya

Date: 20th -21st July 2005

End GPS: N02 45.583 E036 43.359

Total Kilometres: 64, 103km

Weather: Hot, very hot

Camping: El Molo Camp

We left camp and headed for the climb up the escarpment out of Maralal. The weather thankfully was dry now and so the track was easy to climb. Sadly the sunshine gave was to hazy conditions and so our views out over Kenya were once again restricted. As we descended one track we came upon a group of over one hundred local men and boys all dressed in black robes and red jewellery. We assumed these were the guys that had been circumcised , as we had been told that a big circumcision ceremony underway in the region. It's always so interesting to see the tribes of Africa going about their daily lives, how weird it must be for them to have a couple of whities in a Land Rover passing them by.

The morning had us climbing and descending along rocky and then sandy tracks, leading us through some small villages of beehive thatch huts. Then the landscape changed as the rocky highlands gave way to open sandy plains. Great fun for driving in again. The villages petered out and we found ourselves once again out in the wilderness on our own, how we like it. The land is like as lunar landscape and as you near the shores of Lake Turkana its surface becomes littered with millions of smooth, round, black boulders. It's weird, as if someone has placed them there as some form of crazy modern art. Years ago the only way to get to the lake was to drive over the boulders, this would have taken hours as the boulders can not be driven around or avoided and so the only way was to wobble your way over them. It must have been extremely tiresome, but the reward of reaching the lake made it worth while. Today the authorities have sanitised the final 40 km to the lake sure by concreting sections over the worse boulder fields. It does detract from the adventure a little bit, but I was thankful of the easier ride.

These boulder fields are the remains of lava flows that once covered the land during the more volcanically active period of the lakes history. Lake Turkana is the most northern of the Great Rift valley lakes, and it is by far the most remote and the most beautiful. It takes your breath away when you first see the silver mass of water in such a desolate and barren landscape, towering mountains rising out of its depths on its western shores like some scene from Lord of the Rings. The lake is a soda lake that at the right time of day and year is famed for it vivid Jade green colour. It is stocked full with fish that the localTurkana and Samburu people harvest for their sustenance, their isn't much else that grows or lives out here to ensure their survival.

Years ago but still as recent as the 70s the lake and surrounding area was abundant with a full array of the African wildlife foodchain, from the smallest antelope to largest lion. Sadly like so much of wildlife in Africa, years of pillage and poaching by Somalian and Ethiopian insurgents has taken its toll and the land is now devoid of the fauna that once thrived in this remote area. Today the northern part of the lake is given over to a nature reserve where thankfully the wildlife is being protected and staging a comeback. It is probably one of the least visited national parks of Kenya, but by far it is the most beautiful. OK you don't see huge swathes of animals but you do have the chance of seeing Oryx, wild cats, the rare Generuk ( a strange looking antelope with a smallish body and a giraffe like neck) and a host of other Ungulates. The park is also famous for the archeological finds made by the Leakey family in their years of digging for mans ancient ancestors at Kobi Fora. Indeed for Anthropologists this is the so called "Cradle of Mankind", yep, this is the place where it all started, when "Lucy" got up off all fours and walked upright for the first time. That is if you believe in Darwinism.........now there's an old debating theme......

The lake is also home to some of Africas largest crocodiles, so swimming in the lake must be undertaken with extreme caution. The lake itself is vast and resembles are large inland sea, especially when the winds wip the surface up into a white foaming broth and huge crashing waves. Turkana was also afavourite spot for George Adamson, and it is here that he at first considered releasing Elsa into the wild, the threat posed by poachers however prevented this from being the case. But nevertheless George and Joy visited the lake with Elsa on several safaris when George was conducting game counts to monitor the extent of the impact that poaching was having on the area.

We arrived at the lakeshore just in time to watch the wonderful site as the huge orange disc of the sun sank lower and lower on the lake, casting long orange shimmering images across its surface. As the sun touched the top of the western mountains the whole landscape became bathed in an orange warm blanket. We stopped and toasted the end to a beautiful day with our own golden whisky sundowner, before heading along the shingle track to the small town of Lloyangalani, and a restful night camped amongst the palm trees of El Molo camp. This is a tiny oasis the with natural hot showers and a refreshing swimming pool. Just what is needed at the end of a long dusty days drive.


Wir sind endlich mal wieder zu Sonnenschein aufgewacht und haben erfreut bezahlt und uns auf den Weg nach Lake Turkana gemacht. Die Piste war schlecht aber ok und wir sind an vielen interessanten Samburu, Turkana und Phokot oder so vorbeigekommen, haben aber leider nicht den Mut gefasst um zu fragen ob wir photographieren koennen. Schade, aber die Masai haben das bei mir abgeschreckt und ich kann das Getue nicht ab.....

Es ging wieder ueber 2000 m hoch und spaeter wurde die Landschaft immer karger und Wuestengleich. Wir haben viele Kamele und DikDik (kleine Antilopen) gesehen. Dann Aloe Pflanzen, Akazien, Straeusse, Kuherden und roten Afrikanischen Murumsand und dabei kein Regen, herrlich!

Immer oefter sahen wir halbbekleidete Turkanafrauen mit nur Ketten als Schmuck, sonst nichts am Oberkoerper und der Wind wurde heiss und trocken. Dann ging es durch Vulkangestein huegelig bergab und bergauf und dann war er ploetzlich da - Lake Turkana, und genauso Jadegruen wie auf jedem Photo, wunderschoen! Es war kurz vor Sonnenuntergang und obwohl ein bisschen diesig war es einfach nur ruhig und ein tolles Licht! Es waren nur noch ein paar km, oder so dachten wir, bis nach Lloyangalani und somit haben wir angehalten, Photos gemacht und mit Whisky auf diese schoene Sicht angestossen und sind langsam weitergefahren. Es war genial! Da waren ein paar Angler die in der Daemmerung gefischt haben und wir haben uns einfach nur ueber die Gegend gefreut! Dann wurde uns klar dass es doch noch 20 km waren und es wurde immer dunkler.

Wir wollten gerade buschcampen, da kamen wir in Lloyangalani an, haben das El Molo Camp in einer kleinen Palmenoase gefunden und camp aufgeschlagen. Es war echt schoen hier! Ein sehr einfaches Camp mit outdoor Duschen unter Palmen und ein Swimmingpool, cool! Wir haben sofort die anderen Gaeste kennengelernt: da war Paul, ein britischer overland driver mit dem David sich natuerlich sofort verstanden hat und wir ein bisschen Party gemacht haben, und Klaus & Barbara, die mit ihrem Magirus Deutz auch eine ganze Afrikareise unternehmen wollen und in Khartoum einen kleinen Kater, Khartoum, mitgenommen haben. Nachdem uns draussen zu viele Muecken waren und die Spanier ihre eigene Party machten, sind wir fuenf dann in Klaus & Barbara's "Haus" verschwunden, haben schoen Bier getrunken und uns nett unterhalten. Es ist ja immer erfrischend, Mami und Papi, wenn man auch mal aeltere Leute sieht, die so eine Reise geniessen und sich daran erfreuen! Wir hatten viel Spass und wurden glatt ueberredet am naechsten Tag noch zu bleiben, was wir auch gemacht haben. Man muss ja auch mal Waesche waschen......


Where are we: Near border with Ethiopia

Date: 22nd July 2005

End GPS: N04 09.848 E036 26.007

Total Kilometres: 64, 375km

Weather: Hot as hell and very windy

Camping: Bushcamp YIPEEEEE!!!!!

We had expected to be alone out here so you can image our surprise when we found ourselves drinking a beer with a truck load of Spanish, the charming Barbara and Klaus in their Magirus Deutz truck, John and Ariana in their Landie, and Paul, the driver of the overland truck. It was really nice to meet new friends and share information on routes, especially as they had all just come down from Ethiopia. And so we gained valuable insight into the route ahead which would leave us very isolated, we would certainly come to be thankful of one GPS coordinate that would save our day..................more on that later.

After our relaxing stay in Lloyangalani it was time for everyone to head off, the Spanish where flying out ans so we all made our way down to the airstrip to watch the inbound flight. We said our farewells to everyone and Kat and I headed off into the northern territories. In our discussion with Paul et al. it had come to our attention that it was possible to drive a track that would lead us along the shore of the lake, rather then having to make the inland detour via South and North Horr. We were assured this route was possible by the guide who had come down with Paul on the truck. Armed with this basic information we opted to take the shore route north. It all started very well, we found the turning for the shore piste on the main piste at the place described and set off towards the lake shore. The drive was beautiful and rewarding as we drove between the mountains and the lake shore.

All signs of civilisation disappeared as we found ourselves very much alone. The day was beautiful, clear blue skies and hot with a strong breeze to cool us down. We drove for nearly 3 hours when the first problem arose, taking the track by the lake is all well and good except that it is necessary to cross dried up river beds. On coming to one very large river bed or lugga as they are locally referred to, we were faced with two potential risks and one major issue. The first risk was that venturing into and along the dried river course exposed us to very very soft sand, that should we get stuck in could take us a lot of effort to extract ourselves from (for some reason the sands in river courses are finer and therefore much softer then desert sands), the second risk was that we still had difficulty in engaging low range and keeping it in, if and when we managed it. This presented us with a situation as this river course required us to drive up the river and not just over it, this hence substantially increased our exposure to getting bogged. When you are two cars this is not such an risk as one can help to recover the other, provided they haven't both ventured into the river course that is. With no option other then turning around we ventured into the lugga, in high range as low had refused to engage.

The sand was soft but our tires where at a suitable pressure that aloud us to mainly skim over the top. All was going swimmingly until that fateful moment when the tyre tracks we were following split. Not wanting to stop in the soft sand we hastily chose the right set as they looked fresher.........Ooops wrong ones, no sooner had they disappeared behind some arcacia shrub then they came to literally a depressing end. No choice but to swing the DuK around and pick up the other set. Again no problem as we headed further up the river course, then to our horror the track started to fade and then simply vanished. With no route notes and no GPS coords to aim for we were very much on our own. We continued on for another few hundred metres looking for an exit from the lugga that would allow us back onto the track heading north. We simply could not see one and now the sand was getting difficult, we opted for safety and swung about heading back the way we had come into the lugga making sure not to follow our first set of tracks that led to the dead end. It is actually very easy to get lost in large luggas that have a lot of scrub in them, especially if you start driving over you old tracks. If you are not careful you can find yourself going around in circles. This is where the Garmin V GPS is excellent, as it shows you your track where you came from, hence all you do is follow the GPS and out you pop where you went in.

Now we had to make a call, to back track the last three hours to the main piste or try and find another track avoiding the lugga and heading north. We went for option 2 as the last thing we needed was to burn valuable fuel backtracking so soon. We set about looking for a track and luckily after a few minutes found other tracks that did indeed lead around the lugga with just a simple short crossing of it. The track had led us back east before it cut back west to the lake sure. Imagine my frustration when I watch our track from earlier on in the Lugga come back onto the GPS screen. When we had turned back from the lugga little had we known that the track north was just 20 metres in front of us. Our new route led us so close to where we had been we could see our tracks where we had turned back. Ah well. I just felt sorry for whoever came next and followed our tracks!!!

We continued our northing alone the lake sure. Awesome is all I can say. White sands, silver green waters, blue sky and a fresh breeze. Magical. The track was pretty good but there were a few sections where it turned inland and where the tracks became faint and even disappeared, b but not to such an extent that they were impossible to find again. As we crossed one badly rutted section we were suddenly confronted by two men, where they came from or where going I have no idea. What did concern we was their fashion items of rifle and AK47 and the fact that they were standing in the track and beckoning for us to stop. That we did and with our pigeon Swahili exchange greetings. These two fearsome warriors actually turned out to be a sweet couple of elders who were just curious why two whities in Landie where driving through their neck of the woods.

We had now been on the track for well over 6 hours and we hadn't seen any sign of villages or people, except the two old dudes. The tracks were strong and fresh and following them was no problem, we also constantly had the Lake to our left as a major indication that we where indeed heading North toward Ethiopia. As we rounded a bend we saw in the distance a radio mast. We naturally assumed this was the national park gate where we were to pick up another trial that would take us west and then north along the shoreline. Ha ha No!! Our excitement at reaching this way marker was short lived as we drove nearer the mast. It seemed we had grossly overestimated our progress. The mast turned out to belong to an abandoned outpost and village. The place was a ghost town, eerie as the beehive huts all sat quiet and empty, where are are all the people we questioned, and then we started to get a little concerned. The Northern regions of Kenya are renowned for their tribal conflict and massacres at the hands of Somalian shifta, we had come this route so as to avoid Moyale where 200 hundred villagers and a white Italien Bishop had just recently been massacred in a feud over cattle grazing and access to waterholes. Had we stumbled into another village where tribal conflict had caused the people to flee, where there Shifta about, where we in danger. These questions didn't stay long as a new problem raised its unwelcome head. To our disbelief the tracks we had been following all day went to the Radio mast building where they promptly turned around and went back the way they had come. We hadn't been following a well used trail all day at all, what we had been seeing was the outbound set of tyre tracks and the the fresher returning tyre tracks. Not a problem we told ourselves we will find more tracks that lead north. On the GPS Kobi Fora was shown on a bearing as being 120km north. Easy all we would do was follow the shore line. We jumped in the DuK and headed out of the deserted village, we got precisely 40 metres before our progress was halted by a 2o metre drop into a large river course, we decided to head west to find a way down and across but with no luck, so we headed east but again with no luck. We drove back to where we first met the drop into the lugga and did what is normal in such situation, took in a deep breath and said "SHITTTT!"

We got the binos out and surveyed the land around us, rocky hills to the east, a big hole in front of us and a boulder strewn shoreline of the lake to the west. What was worse was there was absolutely no sign of any tracks and when we looked further north all we could see was a peninsula with a lot of very large rocks cascading into the deep waters of the lake. We were no absolutely "up the creek without a paddle". We weighed up our options, the route north was blocked by a 20 metre drop into a lugga, the way east by boulders and the way east by mountains. After some moments we realised our only options were to either drive 6 hours back to the main piste via south and north Horr or to try and find another track. The second option didn't seem very favourable as we hadn't seen anything resembling a track all day, bar the one we had followed. We flicked through the basic notes that Paul et al. had given us and just as we were about to give up, my beautiful wife discovered a GPS coordinate for where the south/ north Horr tracks met the track coming from the west of the park. It wasn't much but it gave us a point to aim for where we knew the tracks to be. On the GPS the point was shown on a bearing of NNE and at a distance of 50km in straight line. The only thing that stood between us and that point was a rather large rocky mountain.

With the GPS coord we decided to retrace our tracks for 10km to see if we could find a track leading east inland and around the mountain. As we drove Kat notice what looked like a very faint track. We reversed and turned in the direction east and went bundi bashing i.e. making our own trail. With a GPS cood to aim for we decided Bundi bashing was better then retracing 6 hours driving. Our decision paid off, after 30km the scrub and luggas became easier and then to our delight a visible set of track appeared that got more and more defined. What was even better was they were heading for the GPS coord. Our day was saved and after another 2 hours we popped out on the main piste that went to North Horr and the National Park. After another 30km we were at the park gate.

Our meeting with the head of the anthropological dig at Kobi Fora had advised us that the park wardens would ask us to pay to go through the park, but that if we explained we were merely transiting enroute to Ethiopia and to mention his name there should not be a problem. Haha No! The guys were insistent that we pay $30US each to drive into the park. After 5 minutes we realised we were getting nowhere and so we reverted to plan by that had also be suggest by the head. If they won't let you transit without paying, just get back in the car, reverse and drive around the barrier, so long as you do truely transit the park and not stop in it overnight they cannot do anything. And so that is exactly what we did. I think the wardens must be use to it as when we drove through they simple waved and went back to their house. The drive through the park was nice and the tracks were mainly in a good state of repair and a mix of rocky and sandy. We did have to make a detour to the west as the track straight north led into a lugga and very very soft deep sand. We exited the park at around 19:00 and according to the GPS we were just 70km from the Ethiopian border. We pulled off the track and made a very nice quiet and relaxed bushcamp, indulging in a full shower to wash away the dust and aches and pains of nearly 10 hours of driving. All in all it had been a hell of a day........


Wir hatten eine sehr schoene Fahrt heute, obwohl wir uns verfahren haben und nicht genau wussten wo es lang geht. Es war tierisch heiss und trocken aber wunderschoen. Zuerst ging es immer am Lake Turkana entlang und da die anderen uns erzaehlt haben man kann so weiter fahren und muss nicht den Umweg ueber North Horr fahren, wollten wir dies versuchen, hatten aber weder Karten noch GPS Punkte..... Am Anfang haben wir uns noch an der Landschaft und den paar Stammesleuten erfreut aber dann wurden wir etwas beaengstigt. Ploetzlich kamen wir zu einem verlassenen Kraal, wo alle Huetten leer standen, Tueren offen waren und keine Menschenseele. Von hier konnten wir nicht weiter in den Norden fahren, da die Huegel bis in den See runterreichten. Vor uns war ein riesiges trockenes sandiges Flussbett und wir konnten keine Spuren mehr sehen. Das Fernglas kam raus und trotzdem keine Spuren. Wir sind noch weiter rumgefahren konnten aber weit und breit keinen Weg finden. Also ging's zurueck und ploetzlich habe ich, als alter Buschtracker :) haha, dann alte kaum erkennbare Reifenspuren gesehen. Diesen sind wir dann kreuz und quer durch den Busch gefolgt bis wir nach ca. einer Stunde auf eine Hauptpiste getroffen sind, zum Glueck - also nicht 90 km ganz zurueck! Von hier ging die Piste nach Kobi Fora und durch den Sibiloi Park, der nicht mehr viele Tiere, dafuer aber Archaelogische Ausgrabungstaetten beherbergt.

Eigentlich muss man 30 US$ Eintritt bezahlen, aber wir haben versucht dem Typen klar zu machen, dass wir nur auf die andere Seite und nach Aethiopien wollen. Er wollte uns partout nicht durchlassen und als er kurz verschwand sind wir frecherweise dem Beispiel anderer gefolgt und einfach ueber die Markierungssteine rueber in den Park reingefahren. Wir hatten eine kleine Verfolgungsjagd und tatsaechlich doch noch eine schoene Herde Gemsboecke, eine Afrikanische Wildkatze und erstaunlicherweise endlich mal Generuk (eine Antilope mit langem Hals) gesehen, das war toll! Nach einer Stunde waren wir raus aus dem Park, wo es kein Tor gibt und haben sofort ein Buschcamp gefunden und schoen gecampt. Erst gab es eine Buschdusche (herrlich so nackt im Busch den Staub abzuduschen, wenn keiner da ist und die Sonne gerade untergeht!), dann haben wir camp gemacht, gegessen und sind zufrieden ins Bett gegangen.


Where are we: Arba Minch, Ethiopia

Date: 23rd July 2005

End GPS: N06 00.299 E037 33.086

Total Kilometres: 64, 798km

Weather: Sunny and Hot

Camping: Bekele Mola Hotel

We woke early to get a good start on the day, as we unsure of how the border crossing to Ethiopia shall be. The problem with this crossing is that there is no official Kenyan post and so we shall not get an exit stamp in our passports or on our carnet. Further the problem is that the border post for Ethiopia is to the west about 40km and so we have chosen not to get stamped in until we get to Addis Ababa, more on this later.

The run from the park to the border is via a series of sandy tracks but the going is easy and we soon made the border according to the GPS, nothing to be seen but a dry river bed. So here we are finally in Ethiopia, we only have 2 more countries on our African leg of the journey. We finally picked up a maram road that shall lead us east towards the Stefanie National Park and then up into the high lands of Aba Minch. The drive is reminiscent of that in Lesotho, running up and down into valleys and over passes and distances that point to point are a mere 10 or 20 km become 50 or 60 as you skirt around the mountains. It's strange to be driving on roads again where there are so many people. In fact this is the major hazard in Ethiopia, as the people and animals use the roads as their personal highways. I have never seen so many people and cattle on roads. We finally reached the town of Aba Minch after dark, due to the considerably convoluted road network. We were glad to get to the hotel were we could camp, having nearly been run off the road and down an embankment by a lorry and suffering a blow out on the front tyre. Luckily we could eat a good meal and celebrate being in a new country with a good cold beer. It was nice to get to a fairly decent hotel where we could unwind and relax again.. Oh one thing to remember when coming into Ethiopia after nearly a year of driving on the left is that here they drive on the right.......thought I might just remind you as we totally forgot......


Wir hatten nachts Vollmond, wunderschoen, leider auch zu viel hektischen Wind, also nicht gut geschlafen! Es ging frueh weiter Richtung Aethiopien. Erst mussten wir noch unseren Reifen aufpumpen, da wir einen schleichenden Platten hatten, dann gings los. Es wurde schon sehr heiss und windig und nach kurzer Zeit sind wir in Illeret eingerollt. Hier haben wir nach Remo und Yvonne gefragt und wurden ein bisschen von der Polizei befragt. Dann sind wir durch ein weites Flussbett gefahren an ein paar Turkana Leuten vorbei und nun waren wir in Aethiopien, cool! Eigentlich wollten wir von hier nach Omerate um wenigstens nach Aethiopien eingestempelt zu werden wenn schon nicht aus Kenia rausgestempelt, aber da waren tausende Pisten und wir haben die nach Osten genommen und sind nie an einen Grenzposten vorbei gekommen.

So, jetzt sind wir in Aethiopien angekommen und an vielen interessanten Stammesleuten vorbeigekommen. Die Piste bekam eine gute Hauptpiste und die Landschaft war sehr beeindruckend und wir haben fast keine Menschen mehr gesehen als wir in den Stefanie Park gefahren sind. Hier haette man gut bushcampen koennen aber wir wollten weiter und dann schon wieder bis in die Daemmerung gefahren, als wir in Arba Minch ankamen, nachdem wir fast von einem verrueckten Truckfahrer von der Strasse geschleudert wurden! Alle Schilder sind in Amharic, die lokale Sprache, und wir haben nach dem Bekele Mola Hotel an einer Tankstelle gefragt. Der Typ hat nur gesagt das Hotel waere voll! Toll, wieder eine supertolle Antwort von einem Afrikaner! Ich hab nur gesagt das wollten wir nicht wissen, sondern wo es ist und dann sind wir abgebraust. Nach einer Weile haben wir einen netten Menschen getroffen der uns eine Wegbeschreibung gegeben hat. Als wir ankamen konnten wir dort campen und haben uns ein dinner gegoennt. Leckeren Fisch aus dem Chamo See, Gemuese und Aehtiopisches Bier, man hat es gut!


Where are we: Awasa, Ethiopia

Date: 24th July 2005

End GPS: N07 04.553 E038 29.035

Total Kilometres: 65, 084km

Weather: Hot and big thuderstorm later

Camping: Took room at Adenium Camp as they are so nice (but you can also camp)

We are heading east at the moment to pick up the main tar road that shall lead us north to Addis, first we will stop in the town of Awasa as it is half way and there is recommended the Adenium camp run by a German woman and her Ethiopian husband. The run over was unexciting, the weather is poor and we had to navigate through thick fog as we climbed the mountain passes. The road is tar but progress is still being hampered by the thousands of people and animals on the road. Further we have experienced the Ethiopian child, an annoying creature that either shouts give me sweet or give me money or failing these throws stones at the Landie, I'm going to start cutting notches on the bull bar with them if they aren't careful......... Adenium camp is very nice and a great place to stop if on the way too or coming from Kenya. Its small but cosy and very clean with excellent cooking. Here we also met Steve a Swiss guy traveling with his Swiss Mountain dog Benson. More on these two when we met again in Sudan. The town of Awasa is unexciting however it is located on a lake which to those who like to stand with their rod in their hand, it does apparently have good fishing.


Na-ja, schon wieder Regen! Also Fruehstueck im Restaurant, dann zur Tankstelle und dann die Strasse hoch durch die Berge und in die Wolken. Aethiopien ist unglaublich, ueberall sind Menschen und Tiere, die rennen den ganzen Tag und Nacht auf der Strasse rum, ueber die Strasse und wundern sich warum da Autos rumfahren! Unsere Hupe hat schon wieder fast den Geist aufgegeben und funktioniert nur wenn man sie gerade nicht braucht, also nicht sehr hilfreich!

Am Nachmittag sind wir in Awassa angekommen und haben bei Jana und Kurati, ein Deutsch-Aethiopien Paar, haltgemacht und gleich ein kleines Zimmer genommen. Es fing schon wieder an zu regnen und wir waren froh im Zimmer zu sein und Jana macht unglaublich gutes hausgemachtes Essen - ahh eine Wohltat! Spaeter ist ein Range Rover angekommen und Steve, ein Schweizer, und Benson, ein Mischling aus Berner Sennhund, Rottweiler und Schaeferhund waren da. Matt, ein Kanadier Backpacker war auch da, und wir haben alle zusammen Bier getrunken und leckeres hausgemachtes Essen gegessen, bevor wir in unser Zimmer gegangen sind und gleich zwei Filme auf dem Laptop geguckt haben - schoen!


Where are we: Addis Abeba, Ethiopia

Date: 25th -29th July 2005

End GPS: N09 01.850 E038 46.492

Total Kilometres: 65, 457 km

Weather: Mixed bad of rain, sun and cloudy

Camping: Bel Air Hotel

We made the short run to Addis. Addis is so unlike my pre conceived ideas of what it would look like, as is the case with so many African cities. I had expected a rambling shanty town of prefabs, plastic covered huts, a maze of dirt alleys and sand streets with a kind of wild west feel. What you get instead is a thriving urban metropolis. The UN and expat community is thriving here, bathing in the money and aid that came pouring into the country back in the 80s and 90s. Like every country where aid has washed over the country like a tidal wave, the people and the land now stand divided. Aid may solve in some way an immediate human crisis, but in the long run it brings the corruption, greed, incompetence and destruction of a peoples innocence.

Ethiopia stands as a nation divided, the haves and the have-nots has never been greater. Many people got rich on the back of those images of the starving and dead, and they still are today. Ethiopians however, are not poor, their culture is unique in Africa, they are a proud people and they are hard workers, proud of who they are and their ancestry. Do not expect to come to a land of dust and desert, of barrenness. Ethiopia is a fertile land and is intensively farmed today, it is lush and green in the highlands. Then there are the low lands to the east that border to Somalia, Djibouti and Eritrea. Here life is hard, but we did not go so I cannot comment. But for all its riches, Ethiopia is a country weakened. It's people are recovering well from years of war, famine and aid, but it is the latter that is taking the longest time to recover from. People become scarred by aid, there expectations change. Too often the legacy of aid is found not in the elders but in the children born after the years of famine. For they grew up in a country where they saw aid agencies freely distributing goods and supplies. Now the aid is slowing down these children of aid, look and wonder why? Because they expect to be supported as young adults they all to often expect others to give to them for nothing in return, and it is these people, the victims of aid without education, that often cause a misunderstanding and misconception of Ethiopia. All to often I here negative things of Ethiopia, some are true, but are the route cause of the past and the failure to educate a people on how aid works. The majority of critics comments on Ethiopia are however just slanderous or born out of naivety, ignorance or intolerance. Ethiopia also has a difficult place geographically, as far as travellers are concerned. It is the divide between the Arab north and the Black south, as such it is a melting pot.

We will stay in Addis for a while to sort out the Egyptian visa and get our immigration stamps. We have met up with Remo and Yvonne who are recovering from being mugged by a Matatu bus. Poor Remo got dragged along as the robbers tried to get away. Luckily there were police on the scene and the damage was limited, although I think the emotional and psychological scares will take a long time to heal. Further we shall stay a few days as they have also just tested positive for Falasiparium Malaria and will need to go on a course of Artesunate. We didn't get the Egyptian visa here in the end as it was very expensive, we shall try again in Sudan. We also failed to get stamped into Ethiopia, even though we went to the main immigration and saw the head man. They have promised to radio the border to let them know to stamp us out regardless of the fact we never got stamped in. OK? Nobody seemed that bothered that we were totally illegal in the country and that the car was illegally importaed............Ah Africa. From Addis Kat and I have decided to head north west to the town of Bahir Dar on Lake Tana. It is suppose to be very nice there and so we shall check it out. Ethiopia is very different to all the other African countries we have been too. The people have an entirely different look and culture and it is a lot more in your face, but it is cool and very friendly. We kind of like it here, even though the weather is against us and we have constant rain and cold cold nights.

We have also grown 8 years younger since coming into Ethiopia and the day never gets later then 12:00. Ethiopia has it own Amharic calendar and time system, so while it is 2005 back home it is only 1997 here.


Wie schoen es ist mal wieder ein Zimmer zu haben! Wir haben den Morgen damit verbracht zu lesen und sind dann spaet losgekommen. Die Leute rennen schon wieder alle auf der Strasse rum und denken noch sie sind mitten im Busch, unglaublich! Eine Kolonne von Eselkarren kommt uns entgegen und Kuehe sind ueberall. Da kann man sich auch nicht wundern dass man so viele tote Tiere ueberall sieht. Aethiopien war das schlimmste Land in Afrika fuer uns, wo man tote Tiere, Hunde ueberall, Esel, Kuehe, Ziegen usw. sieht, echt schrecklich! Heute hab ich gezaehlt und 6 tote aufgeblasene blutige Hunde gesehen, 3 Esel, 2 Kuehe und 4 Ziegen in einem Abstand von hoechstens 200 km ! Und die Menschen gehen auch leichtsinnig auf die Strasse...

Um 16:45 Uhr sind wir kurz vor Addis Ababa angekommen und haben schon wieder 3 tote Hunde gesehen. Dann in Addis haben wir versucht das Bel Air Hotel zu finden, wo man campen kann. Unterwegs waren tierisch viele Toyota Autos als Taxis und ganz viele suesse Kaefer und UN-Autos! Wir haben das Bel Air Hotel gefunden, sah schon wieder nach einem Stundenhotel aus.....Remo und Yvonne waren da. Wir haben uns gefreut aber die beiden haben ein Zimmer genommen und fuehlten sich nicht so gut. David hat unsere Elektrizitaet am Landy repariert und wir haben gekocht und uns ein bisschen um R&Y gekuemmert und uns schoen unterhalten.

Die naechsten Tage haben wir damit verbracht Addis kennenzulernen, waren auf dem Markt, der es nicht Wert ist dahin zu gehen, im Internet und an Provisionen aufstocken. Remo und Yvonne hatten beide Malaria, wir haben unsere Testingkits benutzt es herauszufinden und zum Glueck hatten sie noch Artesunate um diese zu bekaempfen. Wir haben abends gekocht um den beiden etwas Staerke zu geben und uns mit dem Hotelhund, Jumbo, angefreundet. Als es R&Y besser ging und wir nichts mehr in Addis zu tun hatten sind wir endlich weiter gefahren und wollten uns spaetestens 5 Tage spaeter in Lalibela treffen.


Where are we: Marco Debre, Ethiopia

Date: 30th July 2005

End GPS: N10 19.929 E037 43.729

Total Kilometres: 65, 757 km

Weather: Mixed bag

Camping: Shebell Hotel (took room as no where to camp and had a really crap day)

Today would be our worst drive so far in Africa, one is always aware of the potential for accidents to occur and today they did. The day had started well, we rose early ate a healthy breakfast and set off climbing the hills leading us out of Addis enroute to Bahar Dar.

Remo and Yvonne were still recovering from malaria so Kat and I had decided to venture northwest to see this area before heading back east to Lalibela and the eastern loop of Ethiopia.

The road is good tar and we made fine progress. This route leads you to the Blue Nile Gorge, a spectacular tear in the earth crust at the bottom of which flows the Nile on its way north to the Mediterranean. At the top you are at an altitude of 2400 metres and as you descend the switch back gravel road your altitude drops off at an alarming rate, by the time you reach the bottom you are at a mere 300 metres, before you know it you are climbing again sharply and by the top you are back at 2500 metres. The journey down and up has taken over an hour yet the distance from one side of the gorge to the other is perhaps a mere kilometre.

After the gorge the road went back to tar but then it deteriorated where they have simply tarred over black cotton soils. As such the road becomes a roller coaster made worse by the people and animals and eh small town that you have to drive through. It was in one of these small towns where the day went horribly wrong.

As we drove through town are speed was very slow, perhaps 10 or 15 kilometres an hour. The road was littered with people and animals and other traffic coming the opposite direction. We were being approached by a large lorry and people where crossing between us and it. At this point the lorry blew its horn to warn the people that it was coming. Ethiopians have no appreciation that roads are generally built for cars and not pedestrians, so they simply do not look or move. The people crossing sped up to get over before the truck. We were now along side most of them, when suddenly an old man decided he wasn't going to cross and instead turned around and walked straight in front of the Landie. I had no time to react, he literally walked straight in front. As we made contact there was a sickening thud. I hit the brakes and we stop instantly. The man had disappeared under the front of the DuK and as I went to jump out, I half expected to see him wedged under the front left wheel. But someone was looking after him and us, for as I went to get out he suddenly sprung up in front of us. Looked around completely puzzled as to what had happened and then started to hobble to the side of the road. It was at this point that the whole village became animated. People appeared from everywhere and by the time I reached the old man a crowd of over a 100 people had gathered. The scene was not very comfortable and I feared a little for our safety should the old man be badly hurt. Thankfully at this time the lorry driver appeared, who spoke good English. We sat with the old man and asked how he was. It appeared he was OK except for his should which he was holding and wincing in pain. The lorry driver explained it was best we go because of the crowd, but that we should stop at the police just up the road to let them know what had happened. This we duley did, but two things amazed us. The first was that the crowd not at all interested in the well being of the old man had instead chosen to chase after us in attempt to extort money from us and the second was that after explaining to the police they showed not the slightest bit of interest...........ah well that's Africa........After this scare I was in no mood for driving and as soon as the road improved and we hit the next bigger town we found a hotel laid up for the night.


In Aethiopien ist alles anders, es ist das Jahr 1997 und November! Da muss man erst mal drauf kommen, und alles ist in Amharic. Die Amharen sind sehr interessant und eigentlich freundlich aber leider gibt es in Aehtiopien zu viele Menschen und zu viel Hilfe von der Westlichen Welt. Die sind es gewohnt dass wir den alles geben, also wird man staendig nach "Birr" (lokale Waehrung), Essen, Trinken oder Klamotten gefragt, aber man kann es denen ja nicht uebel nehmen. Und wenn man die UN-Fahrer hier so sieht und auch schon vorher in Afrika sollte man wahrscheinlich mal einen fraglichen Brief an Kofi Anan schreiben.....Unmoeglich wie sich einige Arbeiter von der groessten diplomatischen Friedens - und Hilfsorganisation benehmen!

Der Tag war nicht so toll. Nachdem wir uns verabschiedet haben und endlich aus Addis raus waren, fing es schon wieder an zu regnen und tausend Leute waren wieder auf der Strasse. Kurz nachdem wir aufgetankt haben hat ein Junge Steine auf uns geschmissen und wir wurden richtig sauer, haben angehalten versucht ihn zu erwischen und dann aelteren Leuten, die vorbei kamen, erklaert dass das nicht richtig ist und er sollte seinen Vater und dem Chief bescheid sagen, was sie uns versichert haben, aber man weiss ja nie...

Ploetzlich ging es bergauf, der Asphalt und der Regen stoppte und wir befanden uns auf einer Hoehe von wo wir die Blue Nile Gorge uebersehen konnten, unglaublich wie die Natur geformt ist. Ich glaube dies ist der Beginn der Rift Valley, aber nicht sicher....Die Strasse wurde zum Pass und fuehrte durch die Berge, sehr schoen! Dann ging es ueber die beruehmte Blue Nile Bruecke, die man nicht photographieren darf, aber ich hab's trotzdem geschafft (hab mich zu sehr geaergert in Kenia dass ich nichts photographiert habe was ich eigentlich wollte!).

Auf der anderen Seite ging es wieder 2400m hoch durch die Berge. Dann im naechsten Ort wurde die Strasse wieder Asphalt, einfach so ueber den weichen, mit Spurrillen versetzten Black Cotton Soil uebergeteert, also nicht sehr gut. Es besserte sich aber es wurde schon fast dunkel und wir konnten nirgendswo bushcampen - ueberall waren Menschen! Ich hab einen Ort auf der Karte gesehen und wir wollten es bis dahin schaffen und dann ist es passiert: In einem Dorf sind wir ganz langsam in Schrittempo gefahren, Ziegen, Esel und Menschen ueberall. Ein LKW kam uns auch langsam entgegen und als wir Schnauze and Schnauze waren ist ein alter Mann dazwischen gedrungen und wollte mit seinem Stock die Strasse ueberqueren. Wir haben keine Hupe und fahren einen 3.5 T schweren Land Rover.....Ich hab nur geschrien brems, brems aber die Kiste zum stehen zu bringen dauert eine weile, es hat ein "donk" Geraeusch gemacht und der alte Mann war nicht mehr da wo er vorher war. Wir kamen sofort zum Stehen und der LKW auch. Der Mann war auf der rechten Seite unter unserem Bullfaenger aber noch vorm Reifen. Also haben wir ihn wenigstens nicht ueberfahren! Oh war das Scheisse! Der arme Mann ist auf die Schulter gefallen und hat einen Stoss von unserem Landy bekommen. Wir haben angehalten, der LKW fahrer auch und sofort war eine Traube von Menschen um uns rum. Der LKW-fahrer hat uns geholfen und gesagt wir sollen hoch zur Polizei fahren. Wir wollten dem Mann Geld fuer's Hotel geben; er sass schon wieder und war ok, hatte aber schmerzen. Bei der Polizei haben wir alles erklaert und wollten wissen was zu tun war, aber die haben nur mit den Schultern gezuckt und wussten nicht was sie machen sollten. Sofort kam die ganze Menschenherde und wollte was von uns und haetten wahrscheinlich das Geld aus unsereren Haenden gerissen. Jetzt mussten wir uns entscheiden und leider was tun was wir hassten, aber es gab nur einen Weg raus.......

Wir sind dann weiter gefahren und haben uns ziemlich mies gefuehlt und der Mann tat uns nur leid! David wollte sofort raus aus Aethiopien weil er sowas hasst - man will helfen, alle lachen nur und sind mehr an uns interessiert als an ihren eigenen Leuten, die verletzt da liegen und haetten das Geld einfach so aus der Hand gerissen. Wir konnten nur hoffen, dass der LKW fahrer da geblieben ist und dem Mann geholfen hat.....Trotzdem schrecklich!!

Wir sind langsam und stur weitergefahren und haben in Marco Debres ein gutes Hotel gefunden, wo wir uns erstmal entspannen mussten, das war vielleicht ein Schock und ziemlich aetzend!!!!


Where are we: Bahar Dar, Lake Tana, Ethiopia

Date: 31st - 1st July 2005

End GPS: N11 35.875 E037 23.164

Total Kilometres: 66, 023km

Weather: Mixed bag

Camping: Ghion Hotel

Another day another stone thrown at the DuK, but this time revenge. As we drove the tar road towards Bahar Dar the usual group of kids stood by the road waving, Kat waved back and our spirits were high. The previous days horror was fading and the road was good and the weather fine, but cool. As we passed on group of kids the usual waving arms but then the arm that isn't waving but instead throwing. Thwackkk!!!!! as the stone made contact with the cars side. I slammed on the brakes and jumped out as the kids bolted into the fields. To our great surprise a truck had also stopped, having seen the kids throw the stones. The lorry driver was nearer and quicker then either I or the kids and he had managed to apprehend one of them. The little blighter was petrified and the tears streaming from his eyes. The driver of the lorry apologised for the child and explained that he would be taken to the local chief and police and his parents would be reprimanded. It was amazing for us as we really thought that nobody cared about the kids throwing stones at us.

We finally arrived in Bahar Dar set on the shores of lake Tana which is Ethiopia largest lake fed by the waters of the Blue Nile. Bahir Dar is also home to some of Ethiopia ancient monasteries and the Blue Nile falls, known locally as Tis Abay or Waater that Smokes. The latter have been somewhat tamed today by the building of a hydro damn, but at 400 metres wide and plunging 50 metres they are still worth a visit as they lie just 30 km south of the town. Bahar Dar is a pleasant town and makes a fine location to relax with none of the hassles of other Ethiopian towns.



Heute morgen war es kalt aber sonnig. Wir sind frueh losgefahren und haben unterwegs viele Christen auf dem Weg zur Kirche, ganz in weissen Roben gekleidet, gesehen. Alle anderen waren in gruen gekleidet und nicht bei der Kirche....Mitten am Tag wurden wir schon wieder von Kindern mit Steinen beschmissen, haben angehalten und ich bin hinterher gerannt. Der LKW hinter uns hatte auch angehalten und kam auch schon mit einem der Jungen am Ohr ziehend aus den Feldern. David hat mit ihm geredet und der LKW Fahrer hat gesagt ein anderer Junge soll mit ihm zur Polizei. Ich hab noch ein Photo von ihm gemacht um ihn so richtig abzuschrecken, der hat ploetzlich geheult wie ein Baby - geschieht ihm recht! Ob die wirklich zur Polizei gefahren sind wissen wir nicht und selbst wenn machen die ja sowieso nichts, jedenfalls hat er sich etwas erschreckt nicht einfach so damit davon gekommen zu sein! Dann haben wir noch einen toten Esel gesehen mit drei Hunden mitten auf der Strasse die es sich schmecken haben lassen - yuk!

Um 13:00 Uhr sind wir in Bahir Dar angekommen, haben das Auto im Ghion Hotel abgestellt und erst mal leckeren Kaffee getrunken. Das haben die hier in Aethiopien echt gut drauf, Kaffee zu machen. Es gibt auch Kaffeezeremonien, wo der Boden mit frischen Gras abgedeckt wird. Ein kleiner Grill steht bereit, erst werden Raeucherstaebchen angezuendet und dann damit die Kohlen worauf in einem schoenen Pott Kaffee frisch aufgebrueht wird und dieser natuerlich mit viel Zucker, und manchmal Gewuerzen, sehr stark getrunken wird.

Wir haben unsere Hupe und Scheibenwischer repariert und sind im Ort und auf dem leeren Markt spazieren gegangen bevor wir abends Chilli con Carne gekocht und uns das Treiben im Hotel angeguckt haben.

Am naechsten Tag haben wir wieder leckeren Kaffee zum Fruehstueck bestellt, der uns dann direkt auf die Motorhaube von den netten Jungs gestellt wurde, cool! Dazu gab's Bananen und Mangos und dann haben wir uns die Blue Nile Falls angeguckt. Ein guide wollte unbedingt mitkommen, obwohl wir gesagt haben wir brauchen keinen und er hat gemeint, "no problem, no problem, you don't have to give money!" Ja, dieses no problem, no problem hat uns bis nach Aegypten verfolgt.....Als ich ihm am Ende 6 Birr als Trinkgeld geben wollte, hat er mich angeguckt und gesagt ich muesste wenigstens 20 Birr geben - Arschgesicht!! Es hatte angefangen wieder mal total zu regnen und fast wollte ich ihm die 6 auch wieder aus der Hand reissen, aber somit haben wir ihn nur im Regen stehen gelassen.....

Als wir wieder beim Hotel waren, sind wir nach einem Kaffee zum Markt gegangen. Und mein Mann war shoppen! Er, der mich immer wieder daran erinnert, dass wir nicht genug Platz haben, hat sich schoen zwei Kugelsitze mit Kuhfell gekauft und ich mir eine hiesige "lunchbox" (ein geflochtener Korb mit Kuhfell ueberzogen). Aber er fand die so toll, war ganz gluecklich und meinte immer bei Ikea und Habitat wuerden wir ein Vermoegen dafuer bezahlen und fing auch noch mit no problem, no problem an und wollte Platz finden....hihihi Somit haben wir schon wieder Sachen fuer ein Haus, oder Zuhause, was wir gar nicht haben.....








DuK Site sponsored by