January 2005


Where are we: Praia do Beline, Mozambique

Date: 2nd January 2005

End GPS: S25 16.611 E33 16.162

Total Kilometres: 40493 km

Weather: hot and overcast

Camping: Campsite Praia do Beline

So today we are to dive on Giants Castle, a dive ranging from 26 to 40 metres. The day started with a walk along the beach from Baboozi to the dive centre, normally a nice walk, but not today. The locals had been hard at play on New Years day, drinking and partying on the beach. Sadly education of pollution and the message to take home your litter has not been heard by the local people and the beach resembled a rubbish dump of beer bottles, plastic bags, nappies, condoms and other waste. This is when I cannot understand people and their lack of regard for the environment in which they live. I am sure the same outcome can be found in the western world after a celebration and festivity, but here nobody clears the mess up or gives a damn, as such the beach becomes a hazard as bottles smash and glass hides in the sand. Even worse is that the tide comes in and sweeps the plastic and rubbish out to sea. How lovely to dive and have a nappy float past you…….there is no excuse for such destruction and ignorance. Africa has a big lesson to learn on protecting its environments from its own people. Strange for a continent which has given over major parts of its land and coastline to the protection of nature and game reserves.  Let’s hope the same policing and control that are exercised in the game parks can be enforced upon the marine and coastal reserves too.

After hip hopping our way along the beach we kitted up at Tofo diving and headed back to the beach for our boat ride out to the dive site. The swell was up today and the trip out had us flying through the air and diving into the waves. Quite a nerve racking experience when you know you are heading out in such conditions to your deepest dive yet. I can say that before our negative entry I was very nervous, but as we hit the water and I found the lineman all apprehension subsided and we dived fast for the bottom. No problems with visibility or losing Kat and Tony today. Tony was the lineman and as this was a drift dive we stayed pretty tight as a group. The current wasn’t too strong which was good in someway as it made getting down as a group easier and keeping together more comfortable. We dived to 36 metres and picked up the current that had us cruising along the reef wall. This was an amazing dive and for me the highlight of diving to date. We saw so much along the way, by the time we surfaced I was ecstatic and couldn’t stop laughing and saying “awesome!!”

After our dive we said our goodbyes to all at Tofo diving and made our way back to Baboozi, we are heading back south today toward Praia do Belini and over the next few days shall tour back down to St Lucia to check it out as a potential tour location for when Kat’s folks come out on the 9th January. Praia do Belini is a OK place but again was over populated with South Africans on holiday so we didn’t get to see the real place at its normal pace. Nevertheless we had a nice time here and found a good campsite with a good location outside town on the lagoon, where we enjoyed a night of star gazing.


Am 2.01. hatten wir unseren letzten Tauchgang bevor wir wieder nach Sued Afrika fahren um Mami und Papi am 9.01. in Johannesburg abzuholen. Dies war unser Drift dive und die See war ziemlich kabbelig und mir wurde schlecht im Boot. Das Tauchen war super und nachdem wir wieder im Tauchcentre waren und uns verabschiedet haben, sind wir dann los gefahren. In Inhambane wollten wir zum Markt und uns die Stadt angucken, aber es war Sonntag und alles zu. Somit ging’s weiter Richtung Sueden und wir sind um 19:00 Uhr in Praia do Beline bei einer Lagune angekommen. Dies war ein richtiges touristisches Resort mit Sued Afrikanern die alle auf ihren Quads durch das Dorf heizen… Wir haben in einem kleinen einheimischen Restaurant, weg von dem Geschehen, leckeres Essen gegessen und sind dann auf den Campingplatz gefahren und haben uns an die Lagune gesetzt, wo ich mit Mami und Papi telefoniert habe und wir Sterne geguckt haben.


Where are we: Ponto do Oura, Mozambique

Date: 3rd January 2005

End GPS: S26 50.643 E32 53.347

Total Kilometres: 40828 km

Weather: sunny, 31.5C

Camping: Campsite Ponto do Oura

We are southing toward Ponto do Ouro where we shall cross the border back into South Africa. Our first stop was Maputo where we got some money and a few provisions. We crossed over the Maputo river to Catembe, thereby saving a large detour upstream to the bridge crossing. As soon as we hit the other side the tar stopped and we where back on good old dirt and potholes. As the day drew on the piste started to deteriorate. We passed by Maputo Elephant park but didn’t call in as we shall see plenty of elephant when we tour Kruger and Hluhluwe with Heiner and Ingrid. We are entering the rainy season now and the weather is becoming more unpredictable. The piste soon betrayed the cloud bursts that had swamped it the night before. We found ourselves diving into pond after pond, some of which rose high up the DuK. We ploughed on and enjoyed the roller coaster ride, being a little irresponsible at times and racing through some of the ponds at speed to get a big wave and spray. Luckily none hid unseen obstacles or hidden depths. Well you’ve got to have some fun and being so close to SA gives a feeling a help at hand if anything horrible should go wrong. The DuK changed colour like a chameleon as we drove through the water. The soil here seems to be high chalk content and so she became a ghost landy shrouded in her chalky white veil.

We arrived in Ponto to find once again the place over run by South Africans on their Christmas break. Now I don’t mean it in a bad way, everyone is entitled to go places and see things, it’s just for us we shall probably never return to such places and as such we feel we have never really had the chance to see them as normal Mozambique villages. Further, everything trembles in price at this time of year. We found one way around this with the camping by reaching an African agreement on payment, which never saw the light above the table……if you get my drift. Ponto is a nice place, no more then a long white sandy beach really with some good dives and some awesome waves which the kite boarders flew off, high into the air performing somersaults as they went. We sat and watched for a while until the weather blew in and we retired to the roof tent for shelter and sleep.


Durch’s Tauchen sind wir immer frueh aufgestanden und unser Koerper hat sich wohl daran gewoehnt – um 5:30 Uhr waren wir schon wieder wach. Allerdings wird es auch sofort heiss im Zelt, sobald die Sonne aufgeht! Wir haben Photos gemacht und sind dann wieder nach Maputo gefahren, wo wir die Faehre nach Catembe genommen haben. Von hier ging es dann nach Ponto do Ouro. Die Strasse wurde zu einem huegeligen Sandweg und durch den Regen den die hier wohl hatten mussten wir durch riesige Pfitzen durchfahren. Wir sind auf drei Kinder gestossen, die aelteste Schwester hat ihren kleinen Bruder im Eimer auf den Kopf getragen – so suess, wie ein Anne Geddes Photo! Ich musste unbedingt ein Photo machen. Alle drei waren alle sehr schuechtern, David hat ihnen dann Pfefferminz gegeben und ich den beiden aelteren ein Top, da die beide keins an hatten. Die aelteste hat sich sehr gefreut und sich hoeflich bedankt, suess!

Kurz vor Ponto do Ouro haben wir die Campingplaetze abgeklappert – einer war teurer als der andere und Buschcamping war nicht wirklich eine Option, da wir uns schon wieder in einem Land voll mit Landminen befinden und sogar ein Stueck abgesperrt war mit dem typischen rot-und weissen Holzpfaehlen….Wir haben ueberall rumgefragt und wollten dann hinten im Auto beim Strand uebernachten, haben Abend gegessen und sind dann doch auf den Campingplatz gefahren.

In der Nacht kam der Sturm! Es hat geregnet ohne Ende, die Blitze waren wie Tageslicht und der Donner hat geknallt dass wir immer wieder davon aufgewacht sind…..


Where are we: Coastal Forest, Kosi Bay, South Africa

Date: 4th January 2005

End GPS: S27 15.501 E32 45.263

Total Kilometres: 40984 km

Weather: sunny and humid, 33.5C

Camping: bushcamp in forest with our new friends

Another day and another destination, but not before enjoying a run along the beach, followed by a swim to cool off and then a nice breakfast at the South African run patisserie, see I do praise them as well. The piste to the border is fun with some soft sand sections and rolling green hills. Fabulous scenery and a very enjoyable drive was had by all. The border crossing is straight forward although the SA immigrations officer refused to give us a 2 month extension as we still had 15 days on our old one. He was convinced we were illegal aliens living and working in SA and as such tried to make our life hell, even though we showed him the carnet and all the stamps in our passport, as well as explaining our “MISSION”. In the end Kat called him a “most unhelpful man” and then went on to doubt his parentage.

We took all the back roads to Kosi bay. This is a delightful area set aside as the Grater St Lucia Wetlands reserve. The landscape is an array of swaying Eucalyptus trees, shimmering fresh water lakes, rolling green dunes and ribbed virgin beaches. Sadly Kosi Bay campsite was full and the quota of vehicles going to the mouth had been reached so we could only have a quick look at the campsite. A shame as it really is very pretty here.

We ambled along back roads and explored the side turnings. One led us in search of a lodge which we thought may be worth a visit when Ingrid and Heiner come over. We drove about 10km down a sandy lane and finally came to a barrier.

“We’d like to look at the lodge please”.

“Sorry, no can do, no one is allowed to the lodge but residents”.

“But that is the point, we want to see if we like it and if we do we shall be residents”. “Sorry, only residents are allowed to drive down to the lodge”.

“OK, can I walk down?”

“Yes”………so I did, even though the security guards 200 metres turned out to be about a kilometre……African distances are shorter for some reason. Upon reaching the lodge I enquired for the Manager and explained I would like to look around with a view to bringing guests here in the future…….I was duly informed that outsiders where not shown around the lodge and if we wanted to stay we would have to view it on the internet and book through there accordingly……..I think my words were along the lines of “What pretentious **** you can keep your overpriced, over rated lodge, exclusive for the illusive. We shall take our custom to a place that welcomes “Tourists”………..remember them….their the ones with the money that come and stay at places where they are welcome……… 

It seems that some here still want to keep some areas of this beautiful country for the elite classes of the world………who said apartheid was dead. It has just changed from being colour based to fiscal based.  

We continued down the piste and found some campsites but elected to continue on our voyage. The route took us along the banks of Lake Sibaya where we happened across a magnificently tranquil, deserted beach. We naturally took the opportunity to stop for lunch, have a quick spring clean, and do a little nude sunbathing to brown the bits over places couldn’t reach. We stopped short of swimming in the lake for uncertainty of hippos or crocs. We spied some other whities on a beach to the far south of the lake, after watching through our new super binoculars we felt comfortable they were staying put. Imagine our surprise and haste when 2 bakkies came haring over the dunes onto our tranquil spot. They zipped past us and headed out onto a sand bank where they conducted a ballet of donuts and handbrake turns. Just as we were cussing them they headed back our way and stopped. “Hi, fancy a dumpy” was the first exchange. It turned out our good South African fellows and Aunties where inviting us to a cold beer. Naturally we obliged and began chatting. It turned out they advised us that bush camping was not recommended here as there had been a spate of hi jacking in the area. In true South African manner they exclaimed no problem, and before we knew it we were chasing them down the piste to their secure compound in the forest. I tell you these Oaks and Aunties put my faith back in South Africans. Here we down to earth good hearted and sincere folk. We enjoyed a fabulous night sitting under the stars, enjoying a braai, beer, whisky and lots of banter. Our thanks go out to Roydon, Tracey, Goth (the magic dragon), Michelle, Lucille and Column. Thanks guys for a great night and all your hospitality and friendship.


Heute morgen sind wir am Strand joggen gegangen und dann ins Meer gehuepft. Wir wollten tauchen aber es war zu teuer. Dann sind wir weiter ueber die Grenze nach Kosi Bay in Sued Afrika gefahren. Kosi Bay gehoert zum St. Lucia Wetlands Gebiet und ist ein Naturschutzgebiet. Ueberall am Strand muss man bezahlen und es ist voll mit Touristen. Wir wollten erkundschaften wo es schoen ist und wir mit meinen Eltern hinfahren koennen, nachdem wir im Krueger Park waren… Als wir einen 4x4 Weg durch den schoenen Kuestenwald gefahren sind, haben wir einen See, Lake Sibaya, gesehen und sind direkt ans Ufer gefahren. Hier wollten wir Buschcampen und haben schon Feuerholz eingesammelt, als eine Gruppe junger Sued Afrikaner auf uns zu kamen und uns gewarnt haben dass hier in letzter Zeit viele Hijackings (Raubueberfaelle) stattgefunden haben. Sie haben uns zu deren Lodge im Wald eingeladen und uns schon Mal ein Bier fuer die Fahrt gegeben. Wir sind bei denen in der Jaegerhuette angekommen, haben viele Biere und Essen bekommen fuer den Austausch unserer Reisegeschichten, bis morgens um 2 Uhr….


Where are we: St. Lucia, South Africa

Date: 5th January 2005

End GPS: S28 22.901 E32 25.216

Total Kilometres: 41244 km

Weather: sunny

Camping: Sugarloaf Campsite

We were all a bit fuzzy the next day for our excess of the night before, but after a few coffees we were fighting fit to hit the road and continue on our quest. Down the road lay Sodwana and St Lucia. We cruised the piste and eventually found our way into Sodwana. This is a Mecca for South Africans at this time of year and so the place was bustling with energy and life. We drove straight down onto the beach. Parked the DuK and found a beach café to digest some good fatty food. Deciding that Sodwana was a little busy for us we opted to head further South to St Lucia. We had heard a fair bit of St Lucia and half expected to find it even busier then Sodwana, however on arriving we found it very quiet and operating at a laid back level. It is touristy here but it is our sort of pace. We found a campsite right by the river and a nice walk from the beach. We were able to watch hippos and crocs go about their day in the river and enjoyed a fabulous pizza in town. We shall definitely return here with Kats parents in a few weeks. We did want to go to Cape Vidal a beach and campsite about 10km up the coast, however to go here they want nearly 100 Rand……….just to drive to another beach……..come on.


Autsch, hangover! Ich konnte meine Haende wieder nicht vom Whisky lassen…Nach kalter Dusche, Fruehstueck und Kaffee haben wir uns von unseren Freunden verabschiedet und sind weiter nach Sodwana gefahren. Hier mussten wir wieder Eintritt bezahlen, konnten aber direkt an den Strand fahren – dieser war megavoll, wie Timmendorfer Strand bei 30 Grad im Sommer! Vier Tauchschulen, Surfschulen, ein Kiosk und tausende von Gelaendefahrzeugen…Wir haben was gegessen und haben uns dann wieder aus dem Staub gemacht. Unterwegs haben wir ein kleines Krokodil am Strassenrand gesehen. Um 17:00 Uhr sind wir in St. Lucia angekommen. Wir haben gedacht dies wird genauso sein, aber erstaunlicherweise war es sehr ruhig und angenehm. Es gab eine nette Pizzeria, einen schoenen Campingplatz und einen Strand und den Fluss. Als erstes haben wir am Strand auf den Parkplatz eine Schlange gesehen, dann auf dem Campingplatz Warzenschweine und Affen. Wir haben uns eine Pizza gegoennt und sind dann zum Campingplatz gefahren.


Where are we: Isinkwe Bushcamp, Bushlands, South Africa

Date: 6th - 7thJanuary 2005


We have driven 50 km up the road to Isinkwe Lodge and backpackers where we stayed before. This is a charming place and is excellent as it is positioned right on the edge of the Hluhluwe Umfolozi game reserve. The guys here have kindly allowed me the use of their workshop so that I can do a 10,000 km service on the DuK and some other planned maintenance. Thank goodness they drive landies otherwise I think I would have had to be driving some “Jap Crap” to be allowed use of the workshop. Thanks to Ivan and Ernst at Isinkwe for their generosity. Insinkwe is so relaxing I could have stayed for days and days, but time is pressing and Heiner and Ingrid are coming out in 2 days so we must press on toward Jo’berg to meet them. We shall return here with them and to visit the park.


Nachdem losgefahren sind, haben wir gleich hinter dem Campingplat,z an der Flussmuendung mit dem Meer, Nilpferde mit Babies gesehen. Als wir die Kamera bereit hatten, waren diese leider schon wieder untergetaucht. Wir haben geparkt und sind ueber einen Holzweg zum Strand gelaufen um uns umzugucken. Ueberall waren Warnungen fuer Krokodile und Hippos! Das war ziemlich cool und St.Lucia hat uns ins Gesamt ganz gut gefallen. Wir haben getankt und wollten dann nach Cape Vidal, 35 km noerdlich von St. Lucia, auf einer Sackgasse. Hier wollten die Parkwaechter tierisch viel Geld haben und wir wollten ja nur gucken. Also haben wir uns entschlossen rumzufragen wie schoen es da wirklich ist und werden dann direkt mit meinen Eltern da hinfahren. Wir sind dann zum Strandparkplatz von St.Lucia gefahren und haben    1½ Stunden am Strand verbracht. Dieser ist nicht sooo schoen und das Wasser ziemlich braun vom Fluss, also sind wir nur spazieren gegangen.

Spaeter sind wir wieder noerdlich nach Bushlands zu Isinkwe gefahren, wo David morgen einen Service am Landy machen will waehrend ich unser Tagebuch schreiben werde.

Wir haben schoen gegrillt und dann unter unserer Markiese gesessen, und uns mit Ernst, dem Manager unterhalten.

Patchy, der Staffordshire Terrier, hat uns adoptiert und am naechsten Morgen neben unserem Landy gewartet und den ganzen Tag mit uns verbracht, suess! David ist fleissig am Landy und ich schreibe. Es ist superheiss und somit Zeit endlich in den Pool zu springen…..


Where are we: Witbank, South Africa

Date: 8th January 2005

End GPS: S25 53.744 E29 17.500

Total Kilometres: 41781 km

Weather: sunny, 30.3 C

Camping: Witbank Recreational Resort

We are heading to Jo’berg ready to meet Heiner and Ingrid tomorrow. The journey is fast but boring. It’s a little to far to do in one leg so we broke the journey at Witbank dam about 100km short of the Big Bad city. Nothing exciting to report.


Nachdem wir mit Regen aufgewacht sind und uns erstmal wieder im Zelt verkruemelt haben, sind wir dann endlich aufgestanden und haben hartgekochte Eier auf Knaeckebrot zum Fruehstueck gegessen (eine Delikatesse wenn man sowas sonst nicht isst!) Dann haben wir kurz unser email gecheckt und sind losgefahren. In Piet Relief haben wir zum Mittag und Kaffee angehalten und unseren Reifen reparieren lassen. David war geduldig genug sich mit den Boer (suedafrikanischen engstirnigen Farmern) zu unterhalten, waehrend ich mich in Landy verkrochen und mir auf die Zunge gebissen haben! Dann gings weiter Richtung Johannesburg. Um 17:50 Uhr sind wir in Witbank angekommen wo wir auf einem einst rauschenden und jetzt verfallenen Campingplatz fuer die Nacht angehalten haben – ueberall Stacheldraht und hohe Zaeune, furchtbar!


Where are we: Bronkhorstspruit Dam, South Africa

Date: 9th January 2005


We left Witbank early at 08:20 but not before accidentally running over a water tap on the campground and creating a new fountain. It looked very nice rising up in the air from the lush green grass. I don’t think the grounds man felt the same about our Fenshwai addition to his arrangement.  

We arrived on the outskirts of Jo’berg at 09:30 but not before being pulled by the cops for running over a solid white line. What lunacy, the guy tried to fine us 500R (about £50), I explained we weren’t from SA and that the road marking was incorrect as the arrow indicated the lane went straight when in fact it turned off the dual carriageway to the left, so I had no choice but to cross it as we wanted to go straight on………the guy was having none of it so then Kat asked for his badge number and station supervising officer so she could call him as the cop was obviously trying to extort money from foreigners……..it made a chink in the bravado but he still insisted we pay….so we just changed the subject and asked for directions to the nearest supermarket was announcing he could keep my fake license as we weren’t paying. For some reason this worked and he advised us to……get this…..reverse half a kilometre back down the dual carriageway and up on the on ramp for the previous exit………..now that’s not dangerous as crossing a solid white line…….IS IT?

We arrived at the airport after a quick shop for supplies. Heiner and Ingrid finally came out of arrivals at 14:00. It had taken them nearly 1 ½ hours to clear immigration and customs….Ridiculous. They were tired but happy to be re-united as a family. Their driver took us to the rental company where they picked up their 4X4 with roof tent. Then we were on the road out of town enroute to Kruger park. To far to drive today so we stopped at Bronkhorstspruit dam. We found a nice campsite now deserted after the Christmas period and set up camp. It was a lovely evening and we set the braai going and toasted Heiner and Ingrids arrival and our re-union. Just as we finished toasting, the wind picked up and we saw the storm approaching in the distance. It’s rain season and we are at 1600 metres on the plateau and so storms are frequent this time of year. No worries the South Africans assured us they came and within an hour they were gone and out came the sun and it was a beautiful day again…………haaaa no this storm. No it circled us and then hit with full force. We abandoned sitting under the awning and sort shelter from the wind in the back awning. After 10 minutes this too was exposed to the ferocious wind and then the sheet rain that lashed down. We had no choice but to seek shelter in Heiner and Ingrids double cab. Great our first night and a major storm. By the time the storm abated enough for us to leave the confines of the 4X4 the ground was awash and the roof tents soaking wet. We felt so sorry for Heiner and Ingrid, after such a long trip and then having to sleep on a wet mattress. Not a good start to the trip.


Heute kommen Mami und Papi! Ich bin schon ganz aufgeregt und David fast noch mehr und wollte schon gleich um 7:00 Uhr losfahren… Nachdem wir dann losgekommen sind, kamen wir auch schon eine Stunde spaeter in Johannesburg an und wurden sofort von der Polizei, kurz vorm Flughafen, angehalten. Wir sind ueber eine weisse Linie durchgefahren! Das ist ein Vergehen und kostet R500 (EUR75!!).

Wir haben unsere normale Leier runtergeleiert, aber hier sind wir ja in Sued Afrika und den Beamten hat das ueberhaupt nicht interessiert! Immer laenger haben wir mit ihm diskutiert bis ich sagte, ueberall sind die Beamten so nett zu uns bitte sei doch auch nett…du kannst doch auch laecheln guck….und mach es uns doch bitte nicht so schwer…wir sind Auslaender und haben ein anderes Filtrierungssystem in Europa….Dann hat er ploetzlich seine Miene geaendert, gelaechelt und gesagt OK, Madam, hier ist Dein Fuehrerschein, aber macht sowas nicht nochmal! Wir haben ihn gefragt wo denn der naechste Supermarkt ist und er antwortet “Ihr koennt ja kurz rueckwaerts auf dem Seitenstreifen zurueck zur Ausfahrt fahren, da ist der Supermarkt…” Wir wussten nicht ob wir lachen oder weinen sollten – ueber eine weisse Linie zu fahren ist fast Hoechststrafe, aber rueckwaerts auf der Autobahn ist erlaubt oder wie???! Unglaublich!!

Um 9:45 Uhr waren wir dann schon am Flughafen, haben gefruehstueckt und sind dann zum Supermarkt zum Einkaufen gefahren. Leider war heute Sonntag und somit konnten wir kein Whisky fuer Papi kaufen…Um 11:50 Uhr waren wir wieder am Flughafen und um 14:00 Uhr sind sie nach langer Wartezeit endlich durch die Schiebetuer gekommen! Ich dachte schon die kommen gar nicht mehr, so lange haben wir gewartet und uns die ganzen anderen Wiederbegegnungen angeschaut…

Das war vielleicht schoen Mami und Papi endlich wieder zu sehen und in die Arme zu nehmen, obwohl die leider so muede und genervt vom Warten waren, dass wir uns gar nicht so richtig schoen begruesst haben, aber das wurde nachgeholt!

Der Fahrer hat die beiden dahin gefahren wo sie das Mietauto abholen und wir sind hinterhergefahren.

Um 15:48 Uhr ging es dann endlich los. Wir haben aufgetankt und sind oestlich Richtung Krueger Park gefahren, und haben um 17:30 Uhr in Bronkhorstspruit am Damm zum Campen angehalten. Mami und Papi haben sich gegen ein Wohnmobil entschlossen sondern wollten auch mal erfahren wie wir mit unserem Dachzelt so hausen. Das haben sie leider auch schnell rausgefunden, denn nachdem wir schoen gegrillt und angestossen haben, kam der Sturm….

Unglaublich! Die erste Nacht im Zelt und alles flog ueberall hin und wir konnten noch nicht einmal in unserem Hinterzelt sitzen sondern haben uns alle in deren Wagen vorne ins Fahrerhaus gesetzt und dort unseren Wein ausgetrunken! Die armen mussten gleich am ersten Abend, nach einer langen Reise im nassen Zelt schlafen…..


Where are we: Sabie, South Africa

Date: 10th January 2005

End GPS: S25 05.892 E30 46.631

Total Kilometres: 42386 km

Weather: rain, clearing, sunny

Camping: Jock of the Bushveld

The wind kept pounding the roof tents all night and by 06:45 everyone had had enough of trying to sleep and chose to rise early. The wind finally relented and the sun came out allowing us to dry the mattresses a little. We hit the road again passing ominous signs stating “High crime rate here – Hi jacking hot spot – Do Not Stop!!!!! … Welcome to South Africa Ehh!  As we finally turned off the motorway heading north toward Sabie the skies again grew dark and threatening. We reached the little town of Sabie and stopped for coffee and a look around. As we did so the skies opened and down came the rain…….what is going on with the weather? We elected to find a room for the night as everyone is tired and wants a good night sleep. After looking around town we eventually found “Jock of the Bushveld” where we rented a sweet wooden alpine chalet. It was lovely as it gave us shelter and a base to cook and dine. Typical however, as soon as we got settled out came the sun and a beautiful clear evening ensued. Ah well, we enjoyed a nice dinner of Spag Bol cooked by Kat and we washed it down with a few glasses of wine. The girls lasted the longest, drinking and chatting into the early hours of the morning. It’s so nice for Kat to be able to catch up with her parents after so long away from home. They have a special relationship and I can see how happy they all are to be together again.  

We have decided to first visit Tschukudu game reserve. This is a small reserve to the North West of the Paul Kruger Gate of Kruger park and is famed for the work it does in rehabilitating orphaned animals as well as it’s lion breeding programme. The reserve, we would find out, has some very special hosts and would give us some exceptional experiences and meetings.


Gut geschlafen hat glaub ich keiner. Die Zelte waren nass und flappten alle im Sturm und mir taten Mami und Papi so leid! Deren Zelt ist echt scheisse und ueberhaupt nicht impraegniert! Die Dachzelte sind sowieso nicht gerade fuer alle Wetterlagen gemacht aber deren Zelt war echt nicht im guten Zustand!

David hat fuer alle Kaffee gekocht, die Sonne kam raus und wir haben gefruehstueckt.

Um 9:30 Uhr sind wir losgefahren, haben in Witbank angehalten um ein bisschen im Supermarkt einzukaufen, dann ging es weiter nach Graskop. Auf der Autobahn waren ueberall Schilder, auf denen geschrieben stand: “Crime Rate here – do not stop!” und “Hi-Jack spot, do not stop!”. Das war schon etwas unheimlich und nicht wirklich unser Ding! Wir sind so weit gekommen und selbst Kinshasa war mir angenehmer als Johannesburg, bis jetzt…

Dann wurde die Gegend ploetzlich laendlicher und etwas huegeliger. Wir sind von der Hauptstrasse abgekommen und wollten nach Sabie. An einem Farmshop haben wir angehalten und mit einem Hundewelpen gespielt und Mami hat fuer uns alle hausgemachte Tomatenmarmelade und leckere Kashewnuesse gekauft, obwohl sie alles fuer uns kaufen wollte….!

Sabie ist eine ganz suesse Kleinstadt und wir haben Kaffee hier getrunken; David war im Internet um Tshukudu Game Lodge zu buchen, um meinen Eltern eine Einfuehrung zur Safari zu geben. Da es schon wieder an zu regnen fing haben wir uns entschlossen ein Bungalow/Cottage zu nehmen.

Nachdem wir ein paar Pensionen abgeklappert haben sind wir bei Jockof the Bushveld in einer Holzkabine (wie ein Blockhouse) gelandet und ich hab spaeter Spaghetti Bolognaise gekocht waehrend wir richtig schoen gekloent haben und den Abend mit Wein und Whisky genossen haben. Mami hat der Amarula, Sued Afrikanisches Getraenk, dass aus Fruechten von dem Marula Baum, die die Elephanten lieben, gwonnen wird und wie Baileys schmeckt, auch gut geschmeckt und somit hatten wir einen sehr schoenen ersehnten langen Abend! David ist irgendwann ins Bett gegangen und ich habe Mami und Papi Photos von unserem Trip gezeigt.


Where are we: Tshukudu Game Reserve, South Africa

Date: 11th January 2005

End GPS: S24 16.551 E30 57.257

Total Kilometres: 42529 km

Weather: sunny and hot

Camping: lovely room at Tshukudu lodge

It’s that great day in the Horner calendar, my birthday. This year I reach the staggering dizzy heights of 37 years.  No earth shattering enlightenment, or divine inspiration, nor black Labrador mid life depressions, yet. No life continues in the relatively carefree attitude it has done for the last 15 months, since we set ourselves free of the shackles of modern life.

I woke to a fine sunny morning and a beautiful birthday breakfast courtesy of Kat, Ingrid and Heiner. Thanks to all for the birthday wishes, greetings, SMS and presents, it made for a fine day.

We headed up country toward Tshukudu reserve, stopping enroute to chat to the very nice policeman who stopped me for speeding, (now that is 3 times the Duk has been pulled). This time it was 72 kph in a 60. After showing my license and the date of birth he duly bid me a good day and safe journey, no need for the buttering up, this was my birthday present from him.  We arrived at the reserve just in time for lunch. We were greeted by Wendel the chief ranger at the reserve who informed us he would be our charge for the duration of our stay.

After a fine lunch and cold beer we sort refuge from the heat of the day by the pool, having first paid a visit to the King Cheetah holding pen. Alas we could only just glimpse her rear end from afar as she sheltered from the heat of the day. She is semi wild and was brought into the reserve as part of a breeding programme to try to re-introduce the King Cheetah into the wild.  The King Cheetah is actually an aberrant colour form, caused by a recessive gene, this gives the King Cheetah a distinctive black mane and black stripes in dominance over the normal black spots of the Cheetah. Research has found that if you mate a King Cheetah with another King Cheetah the likelihood of having a cub with the recessive gene is 80%, i.e. you have 80% chance that the cub will be a King Cheetah. If you mate the King Cheetah with a Cheetah without the recessive gene then there is still a 20% chance of the cubs having the recessive gene. One difference between the Cheetah and other large cats is that the female chooses the male. This is fine, however, it seems that the King Cheetah at Tshukudu has very fussy taste and to date all efforts to find her a mate have failed as they haven’t come up to her standard. Wendel explained that she has probably about another year and a half left in which time she will be able to conceive, as such the race is on, to such an extent that they are working with a team of European scientists who have developed and IVF system for Cheetahs. Whilst this is man interfering with nature, I do hope they succeed so that the breeding programme can see the re-introduction of both Cheetah and King Cheetah into countries where they have sadly disappeared or where their numbers are threatened.

Later in the afternoon we climbed aboard the open topped safari 4X4 and headed off around the park. It was a great game drive and we had some good close observations of Giraffe, Warthog, White Rhino, Impala, Lion and Leopard. The latter two are not free roaming, although they do have 2 lion free roaming on the reserve.

The leopard was originally brought to the reserve for a breeding programme to re-introduce leopard to the wild. However when he arrived they found out he was a baby cub rather then the adolescent they thought they were getting for breeding. This meant he had to be hand reared and as such he will never be released into the wild. The cubs they do have however are left to be raised without minimal human interference and are then sold to other reserves where they roam free.

The lion are a full on breeding programme and the reserve has about 12 prides of breeding lion. Each pride has a good area that is their territory and these guys and gals are certainly wild. The breeding programme is a great success and the young lion are now re-stocking many parks and reserves throughout Africa. It was an awesome experience to venture into the lion breeding colonies, as it was getting late in the day, the lion were becoming active. One pride of lioness approached us and circled the vehicle, at which time a lion from a neighbouring pride called out a territorial series of grunts. Our ladies before us obliged her calls with their own retorts that resonated all around, demonstrating the power and supremacy of this master hunter. It’s a humbling experience to be sitting just 10 feet from a lion when they make these bellowing calls that come from deep within. We have heard the call in the night when in camp, even then it’s a stirring and beautiful sound. But to sit and watch her facial expressions go in synch with her call and to watch her behaviour as she called out was a privilege to behold. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end not from fear but from the raw power of her voice and a wave of adrenalin poured through my veins. I was on the edge of my seat and absolutely mesmerised by the majesty of the moment, a magical, never to be forgotten experience.

Tshukudu has a good feel to it and I was very impressed by Wendel as he genuinely cared about ensuring minimal impact on the wild animals and barging in on their world and the work is not just about tourism, but more about conservation and breeding.

We returned to camp buzzing and quickly showered and changed before dinner which was set under the stars in a Boma. Soft oil lanterns lit the scene and a fire burned gracefully in the centre of the sheltered arena. Dinner was cooked by the delightful “Beauty” a robust, giggling, well proportioned chef, who rustled up a feast fit for my birthday: Buffalo stew, roast beef, butternut, salads, cheeses, strawberry mouse and good wine. Excellent!!!

We enjoyed good conversation with our fellow guests a couple from Tokyo, another from Holland and a very sweet couple from Brazil. All in all a very enjoyable birthday.


Heute war David’s Geburtstag! Wir haben ein wenig ausgeschlafen und dann hab ich Fruehstueck gemacht. Papi hat den ganzen Morgen Kaffee gekocht und Mami hat einen schoenen Geburtstagstisch, mit Geschenken von meinen Eltern und Chrischi und meinen Pudding, den ich gestern abend noch gekocht habe, gemacht, und den Fruehstueckstisch gedeckt. Ein schoener Morgen!

Dann sind wir um 10:25 Uhr weitergefahren und haben noch kurz an den Sabie Wasserfaellen angehalten. Auf dem Weg wurden wir schon wieder von der Polizei angehalten, da wir anstatt 60 kmh 72 kmh gefahren sind! David hat mit dem Hauptmann gekloent und Papi hat sich die Radarpistole ganz genau angeguckt und erklaeren lassen und somit konnten wir auch ohne Strafe weiter.

Wir sind nur 10 Minuten zu spaet bei Tshukudu Game Reserve angekommen und haben sofort Mittagessen bekommen und wurden von Wendel, unserem Ranger, aufgeklaert und herumgefuerhrt. Wir konnten uns zwei Stunden ausruhen und am Pool relaxen, bevor wir um 17:00 Uhr auf Safari ging.

Das Auto war ein offener Toyota mit erhoehten Sitzen, und wir haben auch sofort Giraffen, Impala und Weisse Rhinos gesehen. Dann sind wir in das Loewengehege gefahren, wo Loewen erfolgreich gezuechtet werden und die Gehege nicht wie im Zoo sind! Die Damen waren alle aufgeregt und haben lauthals miteinander kommuniziert – ein wunderschoenes gewaltiges Geraeusch, da kriegt man Gaensehaut!

Als wir wieder in der Lodge ankamen gab es ein Buffet-Essen im Boma (ein kleines, offenes und eingezeuntes Stueck Land oder Garden, dass vor Tieren schuetzt und wo gekocht wird), Bueffel und Rind mit Gemuese und leckerem Salat…Spaeter sind wir in unsere Chalets gegangen und haben bei einem Absacker den Abend ausklingen lassen.


Where are we: Kruger Park, South Africa

Date: 12th January 2005

End GPS: S23 51.235 E31 34.703

Total Kilometres: 42662 km

Weather: sunny 38C!

Camping: Letaba Camp, Kruger Park

Today would be a very cool day in which we would interact with animals I thought I would never have the chance to touch yet along frolic with.

An audience with the king

First stop our illusive King Cheetah. But hey why look from outside the enclosure when you can have a closer look from inside. I was a little glad that Wendel had been at the reserve for 10 years and so was perfectly in control of the venture. This is where the animals seem to give back the respect which he gives to them. We quietly stalked through the enclosure seeking her out, we were literally atop of her before Wendel declared “Stop, quietly come round here, there she is”. A sleek elegant graceful lady she was. She eyed us curiously, sniffed the air and then obviously declared to herself “More bloody tourists” for she rose to her feet walked a few paces for the paparazzi to capture her smooth, athletic lines and then she slunk again to the floor pointing her ass straight at us.  Ah such is the life of the famous and beautiful. We stayed for 10 minutes observing her and learning all about the breeding programme and its hidden complexities.

A walk on the wild side

After our audience with a King, it was off for a game walk with a little difference. Not too many animals about but plenty of spoor and droppings to study and learn about, then the reason for the absence of any animals. Out of the veld stomped a young male lion, then curiously a Labrador who seemed intent on trying to jump the lion, what on earth……then we saw the other ranger. This was Impi, the reserves 8 month old lion. As a young cub he had developed a vitamin deficiency and had had to be removed from the pride to undergo continuous vitamin treatment. The constant human contact had meant that he became more use to humans then lions, as such he will spend his formative years walking with humans and dogs until he becomes too big and boisterous at which time he will go and form his own pride of woman folk in the lion breeding centre. It was so cool to walk through the veld with a lion swiping at you feet and wrestling with the dog. We stopped so he could pose for photographs, which in the process of I nearly lost our camera case to the jaws of Impi. A quick wrestle and I had won, however, I don’t think that will be the case in a few more months.

Searching for Savanna

We returned to the lodge and ate a hearty breakfast and then it was time to head off into the veld for another game drive. We were going in search of the illusive Savanna. She is an orphaned Cheetah that has lived at the lodge for over 4 years. Like Impi she was accustomed to people, indeed she liked nothing better on a hot sunny day to laze around the pool and be stroked or fed the odd ice cream or two!!!!. Savanna is however a bit of an  oddity in the animal kingdom as she now lives in both worlds, choosing that which comforts her the most. When she is tired or a little stressed by life on the wild side she seeks sanctuary in the security of the lodge and the affection of Wendel and the other rangers and staff. However, when domestic life becomes to constrained she ventures back into her world and disappears into the bush where she hunts and becomes self sufficient like any other wild cheetah, a truly unique creature. She had been in the veld for some days now and had been seen occasionally by the rangers on some drives, but there was speculation that she may be pregnant, having been the test case for the scientists IVF treatment.  We drove the park which it seemed all the animals had gone on holiday from. Just as were becoming despondent that we would see nobody, out of the bush she popped. Slunking her way toward us. Wendel jumped out and greeted her like the old friend she is. We were then invited to also jump out and meet Savanna the beautiful. What an honour to be able to stand next to such a fine animal in her habitat, rather just watch from the security of a vehicle. She was truly adorable and for me it was instant love. She is so graceful and has the most wonderful amber eyes that are always surveying the land around about. When you scrubbed her neck she purred like a big baby, just like a couple of boysies at home do. She was thirsty so Wendel handed us some bottles of water which we poured slowly into our hands from which she then drank. Amazing. We spent about 20 minutes with her before we reluctantly climbed back into the open top 4X4. I jokingly said to Wendel perhaps she would like a lift back to the lodge as she looked so tired of tramping through the bush. No sooner had I finished then there was a clatter and commotion from behind me and as I looked around there sat Savanna between Ingrid and Heiner. What on earth? Wendel explained that she sometime used the vehicles like a chauffeur service to shuttle her back to the lodge when she was fed up of the bush. So off we set with 8 guests, one ranger and a cheetah on safari. I don’t think there are many cheetah in the world that get personally chauffeured around their reserves to view good hunting opportunities.  

Trunk Call

We had gone about 10 minutes down the road when rounding a corner we came upon a herd of 3 adult and one juvenile elephant. We stopped to watch them at which point one of them caught wind of us and started over toward us at a pace. Savanna was quickly out of the vehicle and went scampering into the bush, lying low about 20 metres off. Cats and elephants don’t exactly get on. I had though this would halt the elephants approach but no she kept on coming. At this point I want to ask Wendel to kindly start the engine and beat a hasty retreat, but instead her turned to his bagged and pulled out 8 oranges which he dispatched to each of us. Great now we were scented targets. Then he climbed from the vehicle and as elephant and man met they amazingly greeted each other as friends do. We then noticed the little out of control and very manic baby elephant close in tow.  This it turned out was again one of the orphaned elephants which the reserve had taken in. She had in the past also accompanied guests on the bush walk, can you imagine, 1 elephant, 1 lion, 1 Labrador and 8 nervy guests. That was then for now she had found love with a bull and another elephant and as such she had effectively returned to the wild where she had become a proud mother. She did however forget her wildness and allowed herself and her baby to be the centre of our camera lenses, in returned for which we had to make payment of one orange. Take the photos however and not make payment resulted in a very long, hair and slobbery trunk reaching right into the vehicles and then frisking you until the payment was located, extracted and consumed.  

Savanna hunting safari

We sat in awe, no sooner had payment been made then off she trooped with baby in tow and back to her men where she once again assumed the role of big bad mean wild elephant. Savanna and the bull where having a cat and mouse game and when we started our engine, Savanna made the best get away a cheetah can from a mad bull, she jumped back in the 4X4 and was whisked off to safety. Ah how the modern world has corrupted these animals. Our game drive was over and we headed back toward the lodge, but one more treat and adventure awaited us down the track. As we came though some thicker bush someone in the back got very excited and then we all saw why. A herd of antelope stood right in the road in front of us. Now Impala are not stupid animals and at the sight of a cheetah will scatter in as many different directions as there are points on the compass. Now normally Cheetah are seen sneaking through the bush or coming full pelt out of the savannah, they don’t normally sit surveying their lunch from the comfort of a game vehicle. Thus our Impala friends were a little complacent to the arrival of a game vehicle, “bloody tourists” we heard them tutt. “They can wait for us to cross, we ain’t running for nobody”……or so they thought. You should have seen the mayhem and chaos as one very fast and hungry cheetah launched herself headlong from the vehicle and gave chase. I sure I heard an Impala screech “What the………that’s not game”. Even with her distinct advantage the result of the chase was Impala  none Savanna knackered.  She was caught between the two worlds unsure whether to give up and return to the lodge courtesy of Wendel or stay in hope of a second try. She opted for the latter and so we bid her a warm farewell.


Wendel had one last surprise up his sleeve, as we drove into the camp we made a sharp right and stopped oytside a house. “Come on” he proclaimed. “Just go in there I’ll be there in a moment”. As we opened the gate and entered the garden we were hounded by a dog. No worries Wendel called him to heel and he duly oblidged. Then we were under attack again, this time from the cutest ankle nipper in town. Meet Zimba the 3 month old lion cub. How cute do they come. This little raskle was a bundle of fun and we ended up rolling and sparring on the grass. Wendel came in and introduced us all formally to Zimba who was more interested in launching herslef at us and trying to nibble our ears off. Then Wendel introduced us to another little bundle of fluff, a beautiful Serval cat who was more intersted in escaping the confines of the garden, but who did enjoy a good cuddle and stroke from Heiner.

Our time at Tshukudu was at an end but what an absolutely amazing time we had had. It was great to take Heiner and Ingrid to such a place for their first introduction to safari, we had some exceptional encounters and experiences which we all shall never forget. This afternoon we shall head to Kruger for our self drive safari. It has a lot to live up too. No worries however as we spied Giraffe and Elephant on the way to Letaba camp. Indeed as we set up camp a very large bull with huge tusks ambled along the fence just 10 metres from us. Later that night as I checked what was on the other side of the fence I caught a hyena right by the fencei it next to some other campers braai. Had it not been for the fence their food would have been a goner.


Heute war ein besonders schoener Tag! Wir sind um 5:30 Uhr aufgestanden und sind mit Wendel in ein Gepardengehege gegangen, wo sie versuchen den King-Cheetah zu zuechten. Wir haben alles ueber diese huebschen Kreaturen gelernt waehrend wir nur ca. 5 m weiter weg standen. Dann sind wir weiter durch den Busch spaziert und wurden ueber einige Spuren aufgeklaert und haben dann Impi, den 8-Monate alten Loewen kennengelernt. Impi geht mit den Touristen und seinen Freund, einem Hund, durch den Busch spazieren! Das war unglaublich, obwohl er noch jung ist kann man schon sehen was fuer eine starke unabhaengige Katze er ist!

Danach ging es zum Fruehstuecken zurueck zur Lodge und dann wieder im Auto auf Safari. Diesmal waren wir nur zu siebt – wir vier, das Brasilianische Paar, mit denen wir gestern noch ein wenig gkloent haben und Wendel unser Ranger. Wir konnten alle gut sehen aber leider haben sich alle Tiere versteckt. Die Fahrt war trotzdem schoen und dann ploetzlich kam Savanna, der Gepard aus dem Gebuesch. Savanna ist auf der Lodge grossgeworden und halb wild und halb zahm. Sie ist an Menschen gewoehnt und sonnt sich auch gerne mal am Swimmingpool neben den Gaesten. Zu 60% jagt sie selber und verkruemelt sich in den Busch, ansonsten freut sie sich wenn die Angestellten sie mit Eiscreme fuettern….

Es war unglaublich, die ist so schoen und grazil und elegant! Wir konnten Wasser in unsere Haende fuellen und sie hat daraus getrunken und tierisch laut geschnurrt, wie Katzen nur lauter! Als wir sie alle gestreichelt haben und weiter wollten, ist sie ploetzlich bei Papi hinten auf den Sitz, fast auf seinen Schoss, gesprungen! Wahnsinn! Sie wollte Platz haben, also musste Papi sich mit mir und Mami die Bank teilen und so sind wir dann mit einem Geparden im Auto weiter auf Safari gefahren…..Wir kamen zu den Elephanten und einer dieser war auch ein Weisenkind und wurde von uns allen von Orangen gefuettert. Sie ist mittlerweile Mami und sobald sie die Orangen verschlungen hat verzieht sie sich wieder in die Wilderness mit ihrem suessen kleinen Baby….Savanna wurde von den Elephanten weggescheucht ist dann aber ploetzlich wieder auf die Bank direkt neben mir gesprungen! Dann kamen wir an einer Herde Impalas vorbei und Savanna wurde immer angespannter und ist ploetzlich fast ueber David’s Kopf hinweggesprungen und hat gejagt….Sie hat keinen Impala gefasst, da diese zu verstreut waren; nun wollte sie aber nicht mehr mit zur Lodge da sie zu aufgeregt war…

Das war vielleicht ein tolles Erlebnis! Wir waren alle noch ganz aufgeregt als Wendel mit uns zu seinem Haus gefahren ist um ein 3-Monatiges Loewenbaby und Servalbaby kennenzulernen! Oh waren die suess!!!! Unglaublich wie grosse Pranken der Loewe jetzt schon hatte und wie verspielt wie ein Welpe er war und mir meine Klamotten vom Leib reissen wollte….  Bei der Lodge haben wir noch etwas getrunken und die Photos fuer die Brasilianer, deren Kamerabatterie leer war, auf CD gezogen, wofuer ich dann einen Talismann (eine Brasilianische Kette mit Gluecksbringern, suess!) bekommen habe. Dann haben wir uns verabschiedet und sind dann Richtung Krueger Park gefahren.

Wir haben in Letaba Camp angehalten, gegrillt und wurden von einem riesigen Elephantenbullen, auf der anderen Seite des Zauns, beobachtet. David hat auch noch eine Hyaene gesehen; wir waren alle muede und sind frueh ins Bett gegangen und der Sturm kam auch schon wieder….


Where are we: Kruger Park, South Africa

Date: 13th January 2005

End GPS: S24 23.659 E31 46.545

Total Kilometres: 42814 km

Weather: sunny, raining later

Camping: Satara Camp, Kruger

We had a lazy morning over a long breakfast and lots of coffee. We hit the road at 12:00 not a great time for setting out on a game drive due to the heat of the sun which sends most animals running for cover and shelter and as such out of sight of us. We didn’t need to worry however, 5 minutes up the road we pulled of the main track onto an area where we could survey the river bed beneath us. There we saw a herd of Waterbuck, they seemed agitated and so we looked around to see why they we so nervous. We saw 3 large crocs in the water next to where they were drinking and assumed it was these guys. Then out of the bush on the other bank strolled a lone lioness. She swaggered to the water, winked at the waterbuck and then had a drink before magically disappearing back into the bush. No wonder the buck were wary.

The rest of the day brought us sightings of Hippo fighting in the water, eagles, Marabou storks, Giraffe, grazing Hippo, Wildebeest, Zebra and even Terrapin. After Olifonts camp we saw 3 magnificent Kudu bulls, a beautiful antelope, and the very flamboyant secretary bird. We ended our day at Satera camp where we enjoyed a rainless night under the stars, ate a fine array of tapas cooked up by everyone and listened to the calls of distant lion. Excellent!


Alles war schon wieder nass! Mami und Papi mussten ihre Matratze trocknen und sind erst um 12:00 Uhr weitergefahren. Schon nach 20 Minuten haben wir auf der anderen Seite des Flusses Wasserboecke, Krokodile und Hippos gesehen und dann kam ploetzlich eine Loewin zum Trinken und ist genauso schnell wieder verschwunden.

Weiter ging’s auf Safari durch etwas dichteren Busch aber immer am Fluss entland und wir sahenAdler, Marabou Stoerche, Sekretaervogel, Wasserschildkroeten, Gnus, Zebra, Giraffen und dann drei wunderschoene Kudubullen. Um 18:15 Uhr sind wir im Satara Camp angekommen und es wurde schon wieder windig und wolkig….Wir haben Tapas gekocht, jeder hat etwas gemacht und wir waren etwas muede und genervt von dem Wetter. Spaeter haben wir dann wieder Loewengebruell gehoert, das war toll! Ich hab noch einen Pudding fuer Mami’s Geburtstag morgen gemacht und dann sind wir ins Zelt gekrochen.


Where are we: Blyde River Canyon, South Africa

Date: 14th January 2005

End GPS: S24 30.116 E30 50.181

Total Kilometres: 43029 km

Weather: hot and humid

Camping: Moholoholo lodge

Today is Ingrids birthday and Heiner has treated us to breakfast at the camp. We enjoyed a relaxed affair and Kat brought out the lemon cake she had made as a birthday cake for Ingrid. Lots of happiness and photos and then off on safari again. We are heading out of Kruger today to celebrate Ingrids birthday at Blyde River canyon. The drive to Orpen gate was a little disappointing in the amount of game we saw, although that said we did see a boisterous bull elephant, a family herd, plenty of Impala, Wildebeest, Reedbuck, Steenbuck, Kudu, Giraffe, Zebra and Warthog. The big cats are elusive as many are bearing young and as such are hiding the cubs from the males, who would otherwise kill them. Shame but still magical to be in Kruger. We left Kruger and arrived in Blyde river were we stayed at a lovely lodge in a self catering chalet. We had the whole lodge to ourselves and made ourselves at home. Heiner had a skinny dip in the pool, whilst Kat and I prepared a birthday meal for Ingrid of Kassler on the braai, Bratkartoffeln and a Greek salad all washed down  with some fine red wine and whiskies later. It was a lovely evening sitting out on the terrace enjoying good conversation and laughter. Happy birthday Ingrid!!!!!!!

Tomorrow we shall head up to the top of the canyon and visit God Window which Mark told us is very similar to Tundavala in Angola


Heute war Mami’s Geburtstag und es war ein schoener Afrikanischer Morgen! Wir sind zum Fruehstueck in das Restaurant gegangen, haben Postkarten geschrieben und sind dann wieder auf Safari gegangen. Wir haben grosse Elephantenbullen gesehen und eine kleine Elephantenherde, Rietboecke, Impalas, Giraffen, Zebras, Gnus und Warzenschweine. Es war ziemlich drueckend und heiss und wir haben bei einem Aussichtspunkt angehalten, Colas getrunken und die Aussicht genossen, aber leider keine Loewen oder grosse Katzen gesehen…

Weiter gings und wir haben kaum irgendwelche Tiere gesehen. Bei einem Picknickplatz haben wir angehalten, Mittag gegessen und auf Mami’s Geburtstag angestossen und einen Elephanten nicht weit von hier gesehen. Auf dem Weg aus dem Kruegerpark haben wir nur noch Steinboecke, Kudus und Strausse gesehen. Wir wollten Richtung Blyde River Canyon fahren und unterwegs was schoenes zum Uebernachten finden. Papi wollte auch gerne schoen Essen gehen, aber leider konnten wir nicht das Richtige finden und wurden alle etwas genervt. Dann haben wir eine Lodge (selbstverpflegung) gefunden, die wunderschoen war und wir sind dort geblieben. David und ich haben dafuer fuer Mami Abendessen gekocht (Kassler im Potje auf dem Feuer und Bratkartoffeln mit Salat). Wir haben guten Wein getrunken und das Feuer und die Lodge genossen und somit war Mami’s Geburtstag doch noch ein Erfolg!


Where are we: Pilgrims Rest, South Africa

Date: 15th January 2005

End GPS: S24 54.338 E30 45.237

Total Kilometres: 43203 km

Weather: all over the show

Camping: Pilgrims Rest, District 6 Miner's Cottage

Ah how nice to sleep in a comfortable bed in a house, we are spoiling ourselves…..We only woke up at 09:45, and set about making a lazy breakfast. We still have the entire lodge to ourselves. It is very pretty with a few stone chalets, a restaurant and bar overlooking the Blyde river, and a chapel. It is set amongst acres of lush green lawns and shady trees. The only down side are the army ants that protect our vehicles…….unfortunately they see us as a threat and so every time we need something from the car we get a full on attack.  We eventually left the lodge at 11:50……we are so good at early departures……. We stopped at a few craft shops on the way and then started the climb up toward the top of the canyon. As we did so the weather closed in on us again, this is just unreal, we have never seen so much rain and English weather since leaving England……….We arrived at the 3 Rondavals view point just in time for the full force of the storm. We again hid in the double cab with Heiner and Ingrid, eventually the rain clouds lifted just enough to give us a break and we scurried to the view point to take a photo, as we did the heavens opened again and so it was very much a “been there, seen it, tick it off” and then we were, off to our next stop… Bourkes Luck Potholes…….well they seemed to bring a bit of good luck as the clouds parted and out came the sun. This is an area where the river has eroded the rock into perfectly circular potholes within a canyon……….it’s impossible to explain in words so look at the photos. After this we headed for God’s Window. When we arrived God had very much shut up shop for the day and we had the most amazing view of CLOUD!!!!! Oh, well never disheartened. We headed for the Pilgrims Rest , a very quaint village that has been preserved in its original state when it thrived as a gold mining town. We chose to rent an old gold miner cottage and ate in the old tavern where we enjoyed a good potje and then a few good brews in the pub.


Wir haben alle ausgeschlafen! David hat Fruehstueck gemacht und immer wenn man von der Terasse zum Auto wollte wurde man von den Soldatenameisen angegriffen – da waren Tausende! Um 11:50 Uhr sind wir losgefahren und das Wetter wurde schon wieder grau. Die Fahrt fuehrte durch wunderschoene hueglige Landschaft am Blyde River Canyon entlang. Wir haben bei einigen Kunststaenden angehalten und Mami hat Mitbringsel fuer Chrischi eingekauft. In der Ferne haben wir Gewitter gehoert und es wurde abartig heiss und schwuel! Es fing tierisch an zu regnen und als wir bei den Three Rondevals ankamen hat es aus Eimern gegossen. Wir haben uns alle hinten in Mami&Papi’s Auto versteckt und gewartet bis es aufhoert um wenigstens ein bisschen von dem Ausblick zu erwischen….

Wir sind kurz rausgelaufen, haben Photos gemacht, da wurde es schon wieder schlimmer. Also sind wir dann zu den Bourkes Luck Potholes gefahren und auch hier fing es schon wieder an zu regnen…aetzend!

Weiter ging’s zu Gods Window doch das Wetter war definitiv nicht auf unserer Seite und es war so grau und ungemuetlich und somit konnte man gar nichts von dem spektakulaeren Blick sehen!! Wir haben schon gewitzelt und gesagt God’s Window ist heute geschlossen, er hat die Vorhaenge zu!!! Wir haben in Graskop dann bein einem Getraenkemarkt angehalten – was soll man auch sonst machen bei diesem Scheisswetter!? – dann sind wir nach Pilgrim’s Rest ueber einen Pass im Nebel gefahren! Pilgrim’s Rest ist eine alte Mienenstadt und ein einziges Museum, gut erhalten wie damals und sehr suess. Hier haben wir bei einem Pub angehalten und uns ein altes Mienencottage fuer die Nacht organisiert.

Dann sind wir in ein Restaurant gegangen und haben originale Sued Afrikanische Gerichte gegessen, kurz in der Bar einen genommen und sind dann zum Cottage gefahren. Das war sehr einfach aber total suess und wir haben gemuetlich im Wohnzimmer gesessen und schoen gekloent und geredet wie ich es immer vermisst habe…


Where are we: Kruger Park, South Africa

Date: 16th January 2005

End GPS: S24 59.684 E31 35.708

Total Kilometres: 43323 km

Weather: rain

Camping: Skukuza Camp, Kruger

We head back to Kruger for the southern area today, we shall enter via the Phabeni gate. Kruger is in its wet season at the moment and as such the land is lush with green foliage, all very nice but it makes game sitting much more difficult. Further many of the animals are having young and so are very aloof. Still no sooner had we entered the gates then we happened upon a couple of white rhino, they caught wind of us and barged through the bush, we gave pursuit down a parallel track and came upon them again where we were able to watch them for a good 10 minutes until they eventually disappeared off into the thick veld. We later saw elephant, kudu, Buffalo, Hippo, Crocs, Vervet Monkey, and a lion who appeared to have been chased up a tree by buffalo. We stayed in Skukuza camp this evening and enjoyed a meal out at the local train station which has been converted into a restaurant and bar, it was very nice. Rained again this evening, unbelievable weather………….


Wir sind alle mit leichtem Schaedel aufgewacht und sind durch den Ort gefahren, wo David und ich zwei geschnitzte Giraffen von den einheimischen Damen gekauft haben – eine dunkle fuer Mami zum Geburtstag und eine fuer uns, beide muessen sie aber mit nach Deutschland zurueck nehmen…

Das Wetter war immer noch zugezogen, also hatte es keinen Zweck wieder zu God’s Window zu fahren, und somit sind wir wieder zurueck in den Krueger Park gefahren und haben auch sofort zwei Weisse Rhinos gesehen! Dann Paviane, Elephanten, Bueffel, Kudu, Hippo, Crocodiles, Vervet Monkeys und eine Loewin im Baum auf der anderen Seite des Flusses.

Wir sind zum Hauptcamp Skukuza gefahren und haben erfragt ob man in den Bushcamps campen kann, aber das ging leider nicht. Also haben wir unseren Landy hier gelassen und sind mit Mami und Papi hinten drin gefahren, haben aber nicht mehr viele Tiere gesehen.

Wir sind zu dem alten Bahnhof, was ein Restaurant ist, gegangen und haben eine Kleinigkeit gegessen und sind frueh ins Bett gegangen bevor es wieder regnete…


Where are we: Malelane, just outside Kruger Park, South Africa

Date: 17th January 2005

End GPS: S25 27.855 E31 32.329

Total Kilometres: 43511 km

Weather: humid and overcast, clearing later

Camping:  Malelane Golfcourse

Another day another game drive, offering regular sightings of Giraffe, Elephant and plenty of Antelope. We have been disappointed not to have seen the large herds that people rave about in Kruger. For Kat and I we firmly believe that Kruger is actually a poor relation to Hluhluwe Umfolozi in SA and well behind Etosha in Namibia and miles from a Serengeti experience. That said it is not meant as criticism merely our observation, I think the time of year had a lot to do with it. We did find one very nice area just outside of Lower Sabi camp, which is by and far the prettiest of the main camps. A large waterhole where we could park and just watch allowed us to watch as hippos frolicked, fought and played, crocs sunbathed, Impala and Warthog came to drink their thirst away and the Elephant came to cool off. This was more like Etosha where you can drive to a waterhole and then spend an hour or two just watching the coming and goings. As we drove to the gate of Kruger we came upon a poor old Warthog who somehow managed to survive even though his rear leg had been bitten clean off. He wasn’t the fastest hog in the park but he must be one of the wisest to survive in his state.

We camped at a golf club just outside the gate and Kat treated us to a fabulous chicken curry complete with popandums and relishes……


Nachdem es die ganze Nacht wieder geregnet hat sind wir aufgestanden haben Kaffee gekocht und Brote gemacht und im Regen zusammengepackt. Dann haben wir auf dem Weg ein paar Antilopen und Geier gesehen und ein altes armes Warzenschwein mit einem fehlenden Hinterbein, es konnte sich kaum fortbewegen…Kurz vorm Lower Sabie camp war ein Wasserloch wo viele Hippos waren und gekaempft und gespielt haben. Wir haben diese eine Weile beobachtet und auch viele Krokodile gesehen. Dann sind wir in das Lower Sabie camp gefahren und hatten uns gewuenscht hier die Nacht verbracht zu haben, da es ein sehr schoenes Camp ist mit der Bar ueber dem Fluss und Aussicht auf Tiere!

Wir sind weitergefahren und haben noch vereinzelt Elephantenbullen und Giraffen gesehen. Zwei Schildkroeten sind unter unserem Landy gelaufen, die David gerettethat,  und spaeter haben wir noch eine Warzenschweinfamilie gesehen. In meiner Hoffnung doch noch die seltenen und vorm Aussterben bedrohten Wildhunde (Hyaenenhunde) zu sehen, sind wir in die Suedwestliche Region gefahren, doch erfolglos. Also sind wir aus dem Malelane Gate wieder aus dem Krueger Park rausgefahren und auf den Malelane Golfkurs zum campen gefahren mit schoenen Ausblick auf den Fluss und Krueger Park. Wir waren ein bisschen entaeuscht vom Krueger Park – so viele Tiere haben wir nicht gesehen und erst recht nicht in grossen Herden, schade! Vielleicht lag es an der Jahreszeit und wie dicht bewachsen der Park ist, obwohl wir ja im mittleren und suedlichen Teil waren….

Ich hab Indisches Curry gekocht und David hat dazu Popadums gemacht. Wir haben leckeren Rotwein getrunken und uns unterhalten. Dies war der erste Abend seit Mami und Papi hier waren, dass wir einen richtigen Afrikanischen Sternenhimmel hatten – das haben wir genossen!


Where are we: Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, Swaziland

Date: 18th January 2005

End GPS: S26 29.630 E31 11.112

Total Kilometres: 43698 km

Weather: sun, rain, sun, rain - huge thunderstorm!

Camping: Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary

We are heading south east now through Swaziland on our way to St Lucia and the coast. The border crossing went smoothly and we stopped at a wonderfully named craft centre, Piggs Peak. We have decided to head to Mbaane, capital of Swaziland, although I don’t know why we bothered as once again the skies opened and down came the torrents of rain and cloud to obliterate our view and enthusiasm. We abandoned plans to explore the city and its markets and hit the road to Mlilwane Wildlife sanctuary.  This is a must see if coming to Swaziland. It offers beautiful scenery and an array of antelope, zebra and other animals. The best thing is you can walk around the reserve if you want, go by horseback or drive. It has a very good feel to it, even when it is under a major thunderstorm……………


Wir sind bei Sonnenschein aufgewacht! Papi hat wieder den ganzen Morgen Kaffee gekocht und ich hab meine Waesche im Afrikanischen Stil auf dem Rasen zum Trocknen gelegt. Als wir mit allem fertig waren sind wir um 9:52 Uhr losgefahren. Nicht viel spaeter waren wir schon an der Grenze mit Swaziland und haben unsere Grenzueberschreitung ohne Probleme hinter uns gebracht und dabei noch einen Chief mit Swazigewand gesehen. In einem Dorf haben wir angehalten und uns die Kunst-und Dekorationsgegenstaende angeguckt und in einem Café lecker Mittag gegessen mit wunderschoenen Ausblick.

Danach haben wir uns auf dem Weg nach Mbabene, der Hauptstadt, gemacht und es fing schon wieder an zu regnen, der Himmel war schwarz! Wir konnten es kaum glauben und sind somit durch Mbabene gefahren anstatt am Markt anzuhalten. Es ging ueber einen hohen Pass und die Landschaft wurde immer gruener und sehr schoen!

Kurz vor Milwane haben wir an Marktstaenden angehalten und Mami und ich waren in unserem Element und wollten ueberall rein! Wir haben ein wenig gehandelt und Mami hat was fuer sich und Chrischi gekauft und wir haben ein Tuch und eine Trommel gekauft, alles zum guten Preis! Dann sind wir in die Milwane Wildlife Sancutary gefahren. Es war total schoen hier, ueberall liefen Zebras mit Babies rum, Blessboecke und Gnus und das Camp war direkt im Busch. Wir hatten gerade unsere Zelte aufgebaut und waren in der Bar, da fing es schon wieder an zu schuetten ohne Ende und die Blitze waren so hell wie Neonlicht.

David hatte es geschafft, eine Huette (Beehive, traditionelles Zulu-und Swazihaus) fuer meine Eltern zu organisieren. Nachdem wir im Restaurant ein Buffet gegessen haben, mussten wir dann das Beehive finden. Das war so lustig, wir hatten schon ein bisschen Wein getrunken und es war stockdunkel und alle Huetten sahen gleich aus und man konnte die Nummern nicht finden….Irgendwann haben wir es gefunden und Mami und ich haben im Dunkeln auf die Maenner gewartet, die Sachen von den Autos holen wollten – wir hatten soviel Spass und konnten nichts sehen, Mami und ich und haben uns totgelacht!!

Die Maenner sind gekommen und wir haben es uns auf den Betten bequem gemacht und rumgealbert, bis David und ich spaeter in unser nasses Zelt geklettert sind…


Where are we: St. Lucia, South Africa

Date: 19th January 2005

End GPS: as before

We crossed the border back into SA after a short game drive around the park, astonishingly we arrived in St Lucia to bright sunshine? A good time was had here by all,  enjoying fine weather, good food, the beach, walks and chit chat.


Wir hatten alle einen Whiskykater und sind durch den Park auf Safari gefahren. Viele Tiere hatten Babys und wir konnten auch ein bisschen mit meinen Eltern offroad fahren – ein schoener Park!

Dann sind wir weitergefahren und waren um 13:40 Uhr wieder in Sued Afrika und sind um 15:05 Uhr in St. Lucia angekommen. Wir haben uns eine Pizza schmecken lassen und sind dann zum Campingplatz gefahren. Wir haben im Estuary Hippos gesehen und sind ueber eine Bruecke zum Strand gelaufen, wieder an den Krokodil- und Hippowarnschildern vorbei!

Abends haben wir ein Feuer gemacht und eklige Wuerstchen gegrillt und Salat gegessen…


Where are we: Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park

Date: 20th January 2005

End GPS: S28 18.466 E31 51.796

Total Kilometres: 44198 km

Weather: sunny, cloudy, hot

Camping: Mpila Camp, safari tent

One last game reserve to visit on Heiner and Ingrid’s SA tour of duty, Hluhluwe Umfolozi is just round the corner, as is my wife’s 30th………..good lord where have the years gone…….when I stole her away to England she was but a mere baby……….what a beautiful, elegant, diplomatic and robust woman she has become…….naturally from having such a wise worldly hubbie……… The reserve is for me a highlight, I first came here nearly 7 years ago with another fine young woman……..Joannie………when working for Lloyd’s Register. It was first ever safari and I instantly fell in love with it. How wonderful to return with my wife and parents in law to share the wonder that is Umfolozi and to celebrate Kat’s 30th in such a magical game reserve. Umfolozi is so scenic, beautiful green rolling hills, flowing rivers, savannahs and breath taking vistas. The land is lush but more open then Kruger and there are more waterholes which you can easily gain access too, as such you have not just more sightings but you get much closer and have much more relationship with the animals. We saw the lot here white rhino with young, buffalo, zebra with babies, blue wildebeest with young, warthog, giraffe, waterbuck, elephant herds, nyala, hyena but sadly no leopard or lion. If it hadn’t been for the conservation and breeding programmes that Imfolozi undertook in years past the white and black rhino species may well have been extinct by now. Instead the rhino are flourishing in the park and many are relocated to restock other parks and reserves.

That evening we stayed in luxury ensuite tents with an adjoining outdoor kitchen and deck. As we cooked our dinner we were joined by a hungry hyena who came right up to the railings, thank goodness the deck was a metre of so of the ground otherwise I think he would have just walked on in on our party.


Heute hatte ich schon eine midlife crisis, morgen ist es so weit, ich werde 30! Furchtbar!! Na-ja, wir haben schoen gefruehstueckt und Mami und Papi sind an den Strand gefahren waehrend David und ich versucht haben mehr ueber den Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park rauszufinden, aber erfolglos. Wir haben Mami und Papi abgeholt und sind dann um 12:27 Uhr im Safari Park angekommen. Der Park ist total schoen, sehr huegelig gelegen und mit guter Aussicht ueberall hin. Wir haben an einem Picknickplatz angehalten und leckeren Thunfischsalat mit Bier verspeist. Danach haben wir auch schon Warzenschweine, Wasserboecke, Bueffel und Rhinos gesehen! Das war echt toll, die Rhinos waren direkt vor uns, Bueffel in Mengen und Zebras mit Babies!! Wir sind zum Hauptcamp, Mpila Camp, gefahren und haben dort Safari Tents fuer die Nacht gebucht. Zum Glueck hatten die noch genau einen Komplex frei. Das sind zwei Zelte auf Stelzen, die durch die Terasse und Kueche getrennt sind und mitten im Busch liegen.

Dann sind wir wieder auf Safari gegangen und haben Giraffen, einen grossen Elephantenbullen und Herden von Zebras, Gnus und Impalas gesehen. Bei einem Unterstand haben wir leider keine Tiere gesehen, sind dann aber einen 4x4-Weg gefahren, der direkt an den Zaun des Parks fuehrt und ganz hoch entlang geht. Papa hat alles gut gemeistert! Hier haben wir einen schoenen Nyala-Bullen und Kudu gesehen. Leider wurde es dunkel und wir mussten uns ploetzlich total beeilen, um nicht zu spaet am Camp anzukommen. Zwei Hyaenen lagen mitten auf der Strasse und haben sich schwer getan sich zu bewegen…

Um 18:54 Uhr, sechs Minuten bevor man da sein muss, waren wir wieder am Camp.

Nachdem wir geduscht haben und David Abendessen gekocht hat, habe ich Photos runtergeladen und mit Mami ueber die Hyaenen geredet, als sie immer wieder sagt, Katja, guck mal da ist eine! Ich war so weggetreten und hab sie gar nicht richtig ernst genommen, als sie ploetzlich ruft:”David, David, look! There is Hyaene!” David guckt und dann gucken Papi und ich auch  und da war sie, direkt unten neben dem Zaun, und der Zaun war nur ein Holzzaun zur Deko oder so – unheimlich! Die arme Mami hat immer gerufen und keiner hat sie wahrgenommen. David hat Steine geschmissen aber das hat die Hyaene nicht gekratzt, sie hat nur unser Essen gerochen und wollte was abhaben! Der Grill war direkt unten wo sie war, was wohl passiert waere wenn wir gegrillt haetten…..

Wir haben noch ein bisschen den Abend ausklingen lassen und sind dann ins Bett gegangen. Ich hab nur an Mami gedacht die glaub ich kein Auge zugemacht hat die Nacht….


Where are we: Isinkwe Bushcamp, Bushlands, South Africa

Date: 21st January 2005

End GPS: as before

Weather: hot and humid, 29C

Today is my beautiful wife’s birthday. We made her breakfast whilst she opened all her cards and presents, then we toasted her good health and prosperity for now and the future. It’s going to be a good day today and we shall celebrate more tonight at Isinkwe camp where we shall head later today. Another good safari and then at 13:35 (12:35 in Germany) we stopped at a viewpoint and again popped a cork of sekt to celebrate the time that Tinky was born. She was now officially 30 years young. We meandered our way to Hilltop lodge and there enjoyed a nice birthday lunch in the panoramic restaurant. After lunch we headed out of the park and drove the short distance to Isinkwe where we partied long into the evening. It was a great day and we had a lot of fun, it was wonderful that Heiner and Ingrid where here to celebrate their wonderful daughters 30th, very special birthday present.


Heute war der grosse Tag und ich bin URALT! Mami hat einen schoenen Geburtstagstisch fuer mich gedeckt und sogar Blumen gepflueckt wo gestern Abend noch die Hyaene war!! Papa und David haben Fruehstueck gemacht und ich hab alle Karten und Geschenke von Freunden von zu Hause aufgemacht. Das war vielleicht schoen wenn man ploetzlich liebe Worte von Freunden liest und selbstgebastelte Sachen von den Kindern bekommt und weiss dass an einem gedacht wird! Vielen Dank an alle, besonders Andy, der Organisator J ! Nun habe ich auch noch zwei neue Klamotten, ein tolles T-shirt von meinem Schatzi, mein Bruder, und eins von Andy fuer David und mich mit unserem Logo!

Es war heiss und drueckend und wir sind wieder auf Safari gefahren. Um 13:32 Uhr haben wir angehalten und mit Sekt auf meinen richtigen Geburtstag, um 12:35 Uhr Deutscher Zeit, angestossen. AmHilltop Camp, das Hauptcamp im Hluhluwe Park, haben wir schoen zu Mittag gegessen und sind danach aus dem Park raus nach Bushlands, zu Isinkwe Backpackers gefahren.

Mami und Papi haben sich ein Chalet genommen und wir sind an die Bar gegangen, um auf die Bushbabies zu warten, die ja hier immer so gegen 19:00-20:00 Uhr ankommen und Bananen oder Marmeladenbrote essen. Irgendwann, aber spaeter sind sie auch gekommen udn die sind so suess zu beobachten! Einige Leute haben angerufen und mir gratuliert, was mich sehr gefreut hat und wir haben ein bisschen gefeiert…..und noch ein bisschen mehr gefeiert und ploetzlich waren wir alle skinny dipping, naktbaden, im Swimming Pool….Mami und ich haben uns schon wieder totgelacht, David ist spaeter mitsamt unserem Handy in den Pool gesprungen und danach ins Bett gegangen – danach konnte uns keiner mehr anrufen….aber ein toller Tag und lustiger Abend! Ich war froh, dass ich nach so einer langen Zeit diesen Tag mit meinen liebsten Menschen feiern durfte, schade nur dass noch einige, besonders Chrischi, gefehlt haben!!!


Where are we: Bethal, The Lodge, South Africa

Date: 22nd January 2005

Sadly we are heading back to Jo’berg as Heiner and Ingrid fly home on the 23rd. We had a lazy morning over breakfast and swam in the pool, then at 12:15 hit the road north west. It was a long days driving and we finally stopped in a small non descript town where we took rooms at a lodge and enjoyed our last night in Africa together.


Autsch, der Kopf!! Es waren 42C und die Sonne knallte, ausgerechnet heute, mit hangover! David und ich haben uns bei Mami und Papi auf dem Sofa unter den Ventilator gelegen und nochmal versucht zu schlafen, aber erfolglos. Papi hat Fruehstueck gemacht und ich hab den Morgen im Pool verbracht. Um 12:16 Uhr sind wir losgefahren und hatten eine lange Fahrt vor uns. Wir haben unterwegs zum Mittag angehalten und Apfelschorlen und Cola getrunken.

Um 18:30 Uhr sind wir in Bethal, 50km oestlich von Johannesburg, angekommen und haben uns in eine Lodge eingemietet. Mami und Papi wollten den letzten Abend bezahlen und es war schon wieder so nass ueberall, dass wir nicht campen wollten….

Wir haben uns alle ein wenig ausgeruht und Fernsehen! geguckt und sind dann spaeter in ein Restaurant gegangen, wo wir nochmal schoen zusammen Abend gegessen haben. Danach sind wir auf unser Zimmer gegangen und ich habe Mami und Papi die Photos von unserer gemeinsamen Tour gezeigt. Aber das sind so viele und wir waren alle muede, dass wir um 23:00 Uhr aufgehoert haben und ins Bett gegangen sind.


Where are we: Johannesburg, South Africa

Date: 23rd January 2005

End GPS: S26 01.119 E27 59.784

Total Kilometres: 45003 km

Weather: thunderstorms

Camping: Rocky's of Fourways

A sad day saying farewell to Heiner and Ingrid. We shall miss their company on the long road home. But home is where we too are heading. We hope to be back in Germany by July or August. After saying our goodbyes Kat and I headed off to a backpackers and to visit Eezi Awn to get the roof tent repaired and serviced. This they did all free of charge, Thanks to everyone at Ezzi Awn in particular Tony it rare to get something for nothing these days, it really will make the trip much more comfortable.  We also had the awning repaired as it had broken off its hinges during a big thunderstorm, however, Hannibal do not offer the same after sales service as Eezi Awn and we got charged 150 rand for drilling two holes and fitting two bolts, something I could have done myself for zero charge…….Next time we are buying everything from Eezi Awn and to any prospective overlanders I strongly recommend the Eezi awn brand above all others.  We also called in at Outdoor warehouse to get the Waeco fridge repaired as it is stuck on freezer. Unfortunately they did not have the spare parts and so could not fix it this time. We shall however return after our short trip to Lesotho (more on the amazing outcome of this in Februaries diary).


Heute war ein trauriger Tag, Mami und Papi mussten wieder zurueck und ich fuehl mich als hatten wir gar nicht genug Zeit zusammen verbracht, da wir soviel gefahren sind und dann immer getrennt waren, schade!!

Wir haben das Auto abgeliefert und wir sind vorgefahren um noch etwas zu erledigen und die Photos auf CD’s zu ziehen. Spaeter haben wir die beiden mit ihrer Mumie (die beiden Holzgiraffen) am Schalter getroffen, zusammen Kaffee getrunken und Mittag gegessen und uns dann leider schweresherzens voneinander verabschiedet! Das war schlimm und traurig, am Liebsten wollten wir mit!!

David und ich sind dann nach Johannesburg in eine Herberge gefahren und haben uns ein Zimmer genommen, es hat auch schon wieder Bindfaeden geregnet….


Where are we: Johannesburg - Heidelberg, South Africa

Date: 24th - 26th January 2005

Total Kilometres: 45188 km

Camping: Diamond Diggers Backpackers in Jo-burg, Heidelberg Campsite in Heidelberg

We headed out of Jo’ber bound for the Natal Drakensberg and Lesotho. This is heading south but we really want to see these places before we leave southern Africa. We stopped in Heidelberg at a very nice campsite.


Wir sind in Johannesburg geblieben und haben unser Dachzelt und unsere Markiese reparieren lassen, leider konnten die hier unseren Kuehlschrank noch nicht reparieren.

Am 26. sind wir dann 50km ausserhalb von Johannesburg, nach Heidelberg, auf einen Campingplatz gefahren.


Where are we: Royal Natal Park, Northern Drakensberg, South Africa

Date: 27th - 31st January 2005

Weather: beautiful days, thunderstorms in evenings

We are at the Royal Natal park in the Natal Drakensberg. This is a most stunning place. The northern Drakensberg are home to the Sentinel, Devils tooth and the Amphitheatre a most beautiful range of mountains that rise to over 3000 metres. We are spending the time here hiking the area and have enjoyed spectacular walks up the Crack and down the Mudslide, Tiger falls and to the Gorge and Amphitheatre.  I shall let the photos describe how beautiful it is here.


Wir sind am 27. nachmittags im Royal Natal Park in den noerdlichen Drakensbergen angekommen. Die Landschaft ist traumhaft schoen und sobald wir unser Dachzelt und Markiese aufgebaut hatten, fing der Sturm und Gewitter auch schon wieder an…jeden Tag gegen 16:00 Uhr wurde es grau und dann schwarz bevor der Donner und Blitze dann den Himmel beherrschten!

Wir haben drei Wanderungen hier unternommen, alle ziemlich hoch in die Berge und anstrengend war es, immer so fuer 5 Stunden. Wir haben viele Wasserfaelle gesehen und schoene launische Photos von Bergen und Wolken gemacht. Einen Tag haben wir uns ausgeruht und in einem B&B uebernachtet, wo es leckere Pizza gab und das tollste Fruehstueck seit langem. Unsere Muskeln waren muede und taten weh, aber ist ja auch kein Wunder wenn man sonst immer nur auf seinem fetten Arsch sitzt und durch die Weltgeschichte faehrt….

Wir hatten viel Spass und es tat gut sich mal wieder zu bewegen und haben auch neue nette Leute, Michelle und Brad, kennengelernt…

Nur der Regen und Sturm ging uns zu nahe und wir wollten uns weiter auf den Weg nach Lesotho machen…





DuK © Site sponsored by