February 2005


Where are we: Drakensberg, South Africa

Date: 1st February 2005

End GPS: S28 39.602 E29 01.984

Total Kilometres: 45, 716km

Weather: Sunny daytime, MASSIVE thunbderstorm in evening

Camping: Hlalanathi Campsite

Yesterday we hiked right to the bottom of the amphitheatre; a route entitled “The Gorge”. Not as challenging as the “Crack” and “Mudslide” which required a lot of scrabbling and climbing of rope and chain ladders. The route takes you along the river with the Devil’s Tooth and Amphitheatre as your spectacular view ahead. The day was hot and we sweated our way up the path, to reach the gorge required a hike of 11 km up and 11km back down, so whilst not as demanding technically, it was physically draining. The whole hike took us a total of 5 hours and was worth the effort as the views we got of the amphitheatre were stunning. We felt like ants as the shear rock face rose over 1500 metres above us. We opted to return through the gorge tunnel, this required us to strip off our shoes and socks and to drop 6 feet into a pool of cold mountain water after which we clambered our way through the narrow gorge that the water had carved over centuries. After our walk we decided to have a few rest days and moved to Hlalanathi campsite which was a fraction of the cost of the official Royal Natal park and came with much better facilities, including a pub and restaurant, swimming pool, laundry, and golf course.  We were pleased that the pub and restaurant were there as we fell victim to a massive thunderstorm which had us hiding in the landie as the lightning struck around the camp. The rain was torrential and once again threatened to snap the side awning from its mounting brackets. Kat made a dash into the rain to drop it down and we then decided that as a river was running through the back awning to give up on our attempts at cooking dinner, a pub meal and a beer would be just fine until the storm abated……..which it finally did 3 hours later……after having cut off the electricity which had us sitting in a candle lit bar……..very romantic……naturally we stayed for a few more beers after the storm moved on.


Gestern hatten wir wieder einen anstrengenden aber schoenen hike, “The Gorge” (Die Schlucht) unternommen, wobei wir bei einem Abschnitt, direkt bei der Schlucht, durchs Bauchtiefe Wasser, mit den Rucksaecken und Boots ueber unseren Koepfen, wandern mussten. Das war cool und schoen erfrischend. Heute haben wir dafuer einen Ruhetag eingelegt und unsere Waesche gemacht und David hat am Landy gefummelt – wie immer….

Der Campingplatz hier war unter privater Leitung und wunderschoen gelegen mit Blick auf die Drakensberge oder The Berg wie die Einheimischen das nennen. Ausserdem war er billiger, hatte saubere Sanitaeranlagen und einen schoenen Swimmingpool. Abends hat David gerade angefangen zu kochen als ein gewaltiger Sturm auf uns zu kam und es aus Eimern geregnet hat. Wir befanden uns ploetzlich mitten in einem Fluss und haben uns kurzerhand entschlossen das Kochen aufzugeben, uns unsere wasserdichten Klamotten angezogen und sind bei Blitz und Donner zum Pub gelaufen. Hier war der Strom schon ausgegangen und ueberall waren Kerzen und Camper die sich vom Wetter verstecken wollten. Also hat man sich unterhalten, ein paar Weinchen getrunken, Steak und Salat gegessen und gemuetlich unterm Reed gesessen als draussen im Nassen….


Where are we: Drakensberg, South Africa

Date: 2nd February 2005

Weather: Sunny day

Camping: Hlalanathi Campsite

Ah we’re on holiday so what’s one more rest day? A day spent sunbathing, reading, swimming and washing. I ended up reading the whole of Richard Leakey’s auto biography on his time running the Kenyan Wildlife service. I finally put the book down at 3:30 in the morning……..that’s what I love about having time on your side, you can do what you want when you want.


Wir haben uns entschlossen unseren Muskeln noch mehr Ruhe zu goennen, und haben den Tag mit Lesen und Schwimmen verbracht.


Where are we: Sani Pass, South Africa

Date: 3rd February 2005

End GPS: S29 39.724 E29 27.368

Total Kilometres: 45, 997km

Weather: Hot and sunny, blue skies

Camping: Sani Lodge Backpackers

We shall enter Lesotho via the famous Sani Pass, this rises over 1500 metres, reaching an altitude of 2888 metres at its end, making it the highest pass in Southern Africa, the pass then ascends further as it snakes its way through Lesotho. The drive up is rewarded by a beer at the highest pub in Africa. Our day had started at 10:00 am when we departed the Royal Natal Park and started heading south west skirting the Drakensberg range, providing a spectacular backdrop. The gravel tracks had us climbing and descending various passes offering us a thousand photo opportunities which we naturally took. It’s great driving and made all the more entertaining as we now have an MP3 player so we can listen to music even when bouncing and shaking our way over the rough tracks. It was a long day in the saddle and we finally arrived at the bottom of Sani Pass at 17:00, to late to go through the border so we sought a home for the night at the Sani Pass backpackers. 


Heute sind wir lange gefahren. Wir wollen Richtung Lesotho und zwar ueber den Sani Pass welcher sich in den suedlichen Drakensbergen oder Maluti Mountains befindet. Die Strecke geht durch einige Doerfer und rollende Huegel mit winkenden Kindern am Strassenrand, sehr schoen! Es tut gut wieder Musik hoeren zu koennen waehrend wir fahren…. Wir sind kurz vor Lesotho in der Sani Lodge angekommen, wo wir fuer 40 R pp campen koennen, nicht billig aber leider kann man hier immer noch nicht bushcampen. Wir haben leckeres Gulasch gekocht, ein Glaeschen Wein genossen, und uns ueber andere Gaeste amuesiert.


Where are we: Somewhere in Lesotho

Date: 4th February 2005

End GPS: S29 35.747 E28 43.383

Total Kilometres: 46,133km

Weather: Cloudy, cold as we are at 3000 metres

Camping: Bushcamp, quarry

We drove the 5 km down the track to the border post, all very straight forward. The SA border is at the bottom of the pass and Lesotho’s at the top. Sani pass use to be a trade route plied only by donkey, then in the late 40s an intrepid RAF pilot stationed in SA decided to try and cross the pass in his Jeep. It took him over 12 hours to negotiate his way over the rock strewn, steep slopes to the summit of the pass. The route was subsequently widened and opened to commercial traffic. The pass is only possible by 4X4 from the SA side, not because 4X4 is necessary but because the south Africans have imposed a law stipulating the pass only is accessible to 4X4 vehicles, if you come from the Lesotho side you can come down the pass in whatever vehicle you want; but preferably one with brakes.

The pass starts at about 1000 metres and the first few kilometres are gently climbs and turns. It is only in the last 1000 metres from the top that the pass then starts to twist and turn tightly and the gradient increases. The pass is very accessible and is by no means as dangerous as the incredibly steep Van Zyll’s pass nor tight and sheer drops as the Swartberg pass, but nethertheless it is the highest and even better has a pub at the top where one can rest and enjoy a Lesotho brew and awe at the view. Sadly when we arrived at the top the cloud had descended and our view was limited to a white mist that swirled around and drifted eerily in through the windows of the pub.

We continued on over the track, stopping briefly at a hut to buy some bread from a local lady. The track led us ever higher and we were soon above the cloud and in bright sunshine again. We reached the lofty heights of, a staggering, 3257 metres, a new height record for the DuK who as ever performed without any complaint.

We are on the track to Tsaba Teseka, whether we took a wrong turn or if the track is always in such bad condition, we found our speed dropped to 15kph for 10 kilometres as the track became deeply rutted and washed away. The Duk rode the way well and we dropped in and out of wash outs and heeled over at mighty angles as we twisted our way onward. The track eventually rejoined a more graded piste that carved its way through the mighty mountains of Lesotho. These rise magnificently like green Gods into the blue skies, white fluffy clouds cast long dark shadows that race over the green grasslands that cover the hills and the red snaking road leads us deeper into the mystery of this enchanted land.

Wellington boots, beautifully woven woolen blankets and shining large safety pins are In Vogue for the Lesotho herders. They look regal in their traditional costumes as they sit atop a hill playing their oil can guitars. Others look more banshee, as they glide over the hills and out of the shadows on horseback, cloaked in their shrouds, their faces hidden from view by a Stetson style cowboy hat, only the fancy white Wellingtons subtract from this Shadow rider image.

The herders wave and smile as we pass them by, however Lesotho is a changed land from by gone days. The innocents of a people is being lost as more and more people venture into the rolling hills of their land. The children have learnt one very important English word that is shouted at you as they race towards the road as you approach……..”Sweets…….Sweets!!.........Sweets!!” they scream.

The road to Tsaba Tseka is proving more enduring than we at first thought. What is a relatively short straight line distance magnifies over 10 times as the road follows the contours of the mountains and valleys. We reached the settlement of Molumung where there is a basic lodge where we can camp. Bushcamping in Lesotho is quite difficult as the road is normally cut into the hillside with seriously steep slopes, as such there is little in the way of flat land where one can pull off and set camp. They wanted 60 Rand to pitch up, there is little facilities and the attitude of the lady managing the place stunk so when she told us we couldn’t use the kitchen or sitting room as we were camping (we were the only guests by the way) we broke camp and hit the road again. We drove another hour and a half without finding anywhere to bushcamp, then we rounded a corner and found a small quarry where we drove in. Not exactly hidden from the road but it was getting dark. As we started to cook dinner some local guys came upon us. They told us a story that the local Chief wanted to know who we were and then went on to tell us a cock and bull story about it not being safe and how other people had been attacked when they stayed here. They angled for a fee to be our security for the night, but we told them that the people obviously didn’t like outsiders and we would drive to the next village where we were sure the Chief would be more accommodating. They laughed as we drove off into the pitch black of a moonless Lesotho night, the last laugh was on them as they were obviously aware of the distance to the next village!!! After an hour of driving on steep descents and twisting gravel roads with sheer drops we had had enough. The night was so dark the headlights hardly penetrated the way ahead. We felt like we were floating through the air and it was surreal as things seemed to float past the window. The track panned out onto a small plateau and we tentatively eased the DuK off the track and headed into the night. We could not venture far for fear of literally driving off a sheer drop. We could see only a few metres and even when we stopped and shone torches we could make out little of the geography. We managed to level the DuK back into a small excavation that hid us slightly from the track and spent a very uncomfortable night sleeping in the back. Not the best of bushcamping and not what we expected of Lesotho or its people.


Nachdem wir leckeres Fruehstueck gegessen haben wurden wir von Charles und Tina, unseren neuen Amerikanischen Freunden, ueberfallen und haben noch eine Weile Reisegeschichten ausgetauscht, bevor wir losgefahren sind und um 10:41Uhr bei der SA Grenze waren. Von hier windet der Pass wunderschoen, und steil in einigen Abschnitten, den Berg hoch. Leider hat sich der Himmel schon wieder zugezogen und somit koennen wir vor lauter Wolken den Ausblick gar nicht richtig geniessen. Um 11:40 Uhr waren wir oben und 2890 m hoch, der hoechste Punkt fuer unsere DuK bisher. Die Grenzueberschreitung verlief normal und von hier kann man schon den hoechsten Pub Afrika’s sehen; natuerlich mussten wir dorthin und anstossen…. Wir haben lunch gegessen und gewartet, in der Hoffnung, dass die Wolken vorbeiziehen und wir etwas bessere Aussicht haben, aber leider war dem nicht so. Waehrend ich gluecklich losphotographiert habe, habe ich leider unsere Kameratasche verlegt und spaeter war sie weg! So ein Aerger, da war noch eine zweite kleine Karte fuer unsere Photos drin, aber kann man nichts machen…

Wir sind dann weiter gefahren und es war erstaunlich wie bleak und kahl die Berge waren. Die Landschaft war wunderschoen immer Huegel rauf und runter auf Schotter- Sand- und Matschpisten, aber es gab nichts ausser schoene gruene Berge! Bis zu 3254 m sind wir hochgefahren, ein neuer Rekord fuer DuK!

Wir sind in der Molumung Lodge angekommen, die das typische Afrika Syndrom erlitten hat – die Besitzer waren nicht da und die Managerin hat sich nicht wirklich fuer Touristen begeistert und das hat sich auch an der Lodge gezeigt, somit sind wir weitergefahren….und immer noch weitergefahren. Letztendlich haben wir einen Platz zum Campen gefunden, haben gerade angefangen zu kochen, und wurden dann von einer Gruppe Jugendlicher darauf aufmerksam gemacht, dass der Chief gerne gewusst haette wer wir waeren und was wir hier wollen und dass vor kurzem auch Aussenseiter hier waren und von den Schaefern belaestigt wurden und die Frau fast vergewaltigt wurde….. Man konnte mit denen nicht wirklich verhandeln, also haben wir unser halbgekochtes Essen wieder eingepackt und sind im Dunkeln auf diesen kurvigen Wegen weitergefahren. Es gab einfach keine Moeglichkeiten zum Buschcampen obwohl hier so viel Platz ist, aber immer ueberall Berg und tiefe Wasserstrassen. Um 20:05 Uhr haben wir endlich eine kleine Kiesgrube gefunden, immer noch sichtbar von der Strasse und nicht sehr gerade aber es war ok. Es war arschkalt und windig und wir haben uns hinten im Landy verkrochen und dort geschlafen….


Where are we: Reitz, South Africa

Date: 5th February 2005

End GPS: S27 48.035 E28 25.870

Total Kilometres: 46,622km

Weather: Sunny, cloudy later

Camping: Royal Hotel

The day started early as we found it difficult to sleep in the cramped conditions of the back of the DuK. We had our usual spector as we packed up camp. A charming lady who sat inquisitively and waved and smiled as we departed. The journey to Thaba Tseke took another hour, here we refueled with much needed diesel which was good news as it meant we could detour to Katse Dam. The day was sunny and our mood was good. We arrived at the dam, quite impressive and its initial size was hidden as the waters filled the valleys hidden behind the hills that surrounded us on all sides. We stopped made something to eat and  a Café Latte and discussed what to do next. Lesotho was incredibly beautiful but because it is so mountainous you get a real feeling of claustrophobia from it, this coupled with the lack of good bushcamp opportunities and constant begging for sweets (worse that any other country we have visited) led us to decide to head along the tar road to the North and SA. The drive out of Lesotho was incredibly scenic and we climbed higher and higher as we navigated pass over pass. We finally reached the top of the world and then down the longest pass descent to date. It was over 10 kilometres down hill and we engaged our low gears to save over heating the brakes. As we headed into the north of Lesotho the landscape changed from the mountains to lowland interspersed by rocky outcrops. The people changed as well, gone are the herders in their traditional costume, now the people are dressed in trendy western clothing.

We reached the border back into SA at 14:29 and headed for a pretty town could Clarens, which it seems is home to many artists and galleries. It was nice but all a bit clichéd with Nicey’s and Darlings so we stayed but for something to eat and drink. Off again we crossed over the Golden Gate National Park, made very dramatic by thunder clouds and silver light that cast weird contrast over the land.

We drove as far as Reitz where we stayed at a cheap hotel with clean rooms where we cooked ourselves dinner and watched a bit of Telie. We are anxious to get out of Southern Africa as we have now been in this hemisphere for over 6 months and whilst it is beautiful and there are so many places to see it is hard on the wallet and to us it is not the Africa we enjoy so much. We must however stop in Jo’berg to get our fridge fixed as it has developed an acute case of split personality, on Mondays and Wednesday’s it’s a fridge but the rest of the week it cross dresses as a freezer. It’s all too confusing for our milk, cheese and meat who are chilled one minute and frozen the next. We shall also get the roof tent zippers and the side awning fixed.


Wir sind aufgewacht wie die alten Leute – steif und aechtzend tat uns alles weh! Wir sind sofort weiter zum Katse Dam gefahren wo es angeblich ganz toll sein soll. Der Damm war schon riesig und beeindruckend aber nicht unbedingt eine lange staubige Wellblechpistenfahrt wert! Hier haben wir endlich angehalten und Café Latte und Fruehstueck gemacht. Alle Menschen die wir bisher in Lesotho getroffen haben fragen nach “Sweets” und “Money”, schlimmer als in Staedten in Mali! Wir haben einige von den Pferdereitern gesehen, die sehr elegant in ihren langen Wolldecken mit einer Sicherheitsnadel befestigt, aussehen und immer freundlich winken. Auch die Schafherder waren alle immer freundlich und haben gewunken, aber die Dorfbewohner waren sehr fordernd und mir hat das nicht gut gefallen!

Heute haben wir viele wilde Sonnenblumen gesehen – das erste Mal in Afrika, schoen! Beim Damm gab es keine Unterkunft. Da wir nicht sehr beeindruckt von Lesotho waren, obwohl es wunderschoen ist, aber die Tatsache, dass es kaum Moeglichkeiten zum Wildcampen gibt und die Menschen so nerven zusammen mit dem Stand der Strassen, haben wir uns kurzum entschlossen wieder nach SA zu fahren und endlich gen Norden zu reisen….

Somit haben wir es wieder geschafft, dass wir keine Campingmoeglichkeit gefunden haben, da wir nicht gut geplant haben und man in Suedafrika auch nicht bushcampen kann…Um 20:00 Uhr sind wir in Reitz angekommen und haben uns dort ganz feist ein Zimmer mit Fernseher genommen. Fuer 180 R mussten wir nicht im Regen campen, aber haben dafuer gemuetlich auf unserem Bett vorm Fernseher gesessen und es genossen! Richard und Denise haben uns angerufen und wir haben einen schoenen Abend gehabt.


Where are we: Heidelberg, South Africa

Date: 6th – 7th February 2005

End GPS: As before

Weather: Overcast, grey and humid

Camping: Heildelberg, Aventura Resort Heidelbergkloof

Back to Heildeberg for an overnight stay; turned into 2 nights!! It is so peaceful here and we enjoyed a day catching up on things before going back to Jo’berg.


Wir haben wieder mit unserem Kocher im Zimmer Kaffee gekocht und David hat leckeres Fruehstueck gemacht, dann sind wir um 11:11 Uhr Richtung Heidelberge gefahren wo wir um 14:15 Uhr auf dem Aventura Heidelbergkloof Campingplatz angekommen sind. Hier wollten wir heute relaxen und Tagebuch schreiben, da Sonntag war und wir sowieso nicht alles in Johannesburg erledigen koennen. Am naechsten Tag sind wir auch noch hier geblieben und haben Januar fertig geschrieben.


Where are we: Jo’Burg, South Africa  

Date: 8th – 10th February 2005

Weather: hot, humid, thunderstorms

Camping: In Africa Backpackers and camping at Rocky’s of Fourways

A few days spent in Jo’berg as we get the roof tent zippers fixed by Eezi Awn, the fridge fixed by Outdoor Warehouse and the Awning Fixed by 4X4 warehouse.

Thanks to Toni and all the crew at Eezi Awn who repaired and serviced the roof tent free of charge, your generosity and after sales service are excellent and we highly recommend you to all other overlanders. We DO NOT recommend however Hannibal who charged us 150 Rand to fix the awning (a job I would have done myself had I known they intended to charge for what is a design error in there product). Sorry but Eezi Awn 10 points Hannibal Null Piont!!!!

Very very Special thanks to Claude at Outdoor warehouse, not only did he work on our fridge for a day changing all the components for new ones free of charge, but when the fridge still insisted it was a Freezer he arranged for us to have it sectioned and replaced by a brand new fridge free of charge. What’s more he threw in spare cables (as I keep shutting them in the door) and a insulation jacket to improve performance. What amazing after sales service. Where else does a company exchange your broken product, with which you have had for 3 years intensive use, for a brand new one. To all at Outdoor Warehouse a big thankyou and to Claude….”You’re the Man” we shall enjoy many cold (rather then frozen) beers and toast your good health and prosperity. Thank you so very much!!!!!!


Wir haben unser Januar Tagebuch und Photos fertig gemacht, versucht unseren Kuehlschrank reparieren lassen, aber leider war der total schrott…. Die Jungs beim Outdoor Warehouse in Boksburg waren super! Die sind der Vertreiber von Waco in Sued Afrika und haben uns so einfach einen neuen Kuehlschrank gegen den alten ausgetauscht! Claude war sehr hilfsbereit und hatte unseren schon total auseinandergenommen, nur um rauszufinden dass er voellig kaputt ist. Dann hat er kurz mit seinem Boss gesprochen und ploetzlich hatten wir einen nagelneuen Kuehlschrank, zwar 2 L kleiner, aber dafuer funktioniert er, ist ein neueres Modell und wir haben noch Kabel und eine Isoliertasche so umsonst mitbekommen – echt cool!

Ansonsten waren wir schon wieder zweimal im Kino – wir koennen es einfach nicht lassen….. Und in Johannesburg am Flughafen haben wir Teke mit Freunden getroffen, da wussten wir dass wir zu lange in einem Land gewesen sind, wenn man schon so einfach Leute aus Kapstadt in Johannesburg trifft…..


Where are we: Gaborone, Botswana

Date: 11th – 16th February 2005

Weather: Hot, humid and dry

Camping: a bed in Marc’s House

It seems we owe much to many people on this trip, but none more so then Marc and Kerrie. Not only did Marc arrange for us to stay at his families flat throughout the duration of our stay in Cape Town, but on arriving in Gaborone he welcomed us into his home for a wonderful relaxing 5 days. Amazing generosity especial as Marc and Kerrie are the proud parents of Rouke who is the new addition to the family becoming the new “Bro” to Russel. Marc and Kerrie you are truly wonderful people and we owe you so much. We look forward to repaying you kindness and hospitality when you come to Europe. We must also thank John and Sue, Marc’s parents for a delightful Sunday lunch and afternoon at their house. Special thanks to Sue for here treatment and diagnosis with the SCIO electromagnetic doctor.

We arranged our permits to allow us to drive north through the Central Kalahari Reserve, this will take us back out into the bush that we have so come to enjoy on this trip. There is something about being in a place where few people venture and where you hear mother nature all about you. We will be totally self sufficient for the next week or so as we traverse the expanse of bush and sand tracks that’s shall lead us to the Pans of Botswana and then Chobe. It gives us a renewed feeling of adventure and a new challenge along the road. Look out Kalahari here comes the DuK!!!


Heute ging es endlich weiter nach Gaborone, Botswana. Die Strasse war gerade und langweilig aber guter Asphalt und somit sind wir gut voran gekommen. Zwischendurch haben wir auf einer Raststaette zum Mittag angehalten und Sandwiches gemacht als wir unser neues Kuehlschrankkabel schon kaput gemacht haben…. David hat es repariert und dann ging es weiter zur Sued Afrikanischen Grenze wo jeder schlecht gelaunt war und der Customs Officer uns noch kurz ueber den Tisch ziehen wollte, aber wir haben das natuerlich gemerkt und ihn gleich darauf aufmerksam gemacht, frech!  Weiter gings und um 16:20 Uhr sind wir in Gabs angekommen. Gaborone ist eine verbreitete Stadt die sich in den letzten Jahren vom Dorf zur Stadt gemacht hat. Wir haben den Bush&Bull Pub gefunden, ein paar Biere getrunken und versucht Tubs (Marc, in dessem Wohnung wir in Kapstadt gewohnt haben) zu erreichen. Wir haben gerade unsere Pizza bekommen, da rief er auch schon an, und bestand darauf zu ihm nach Hause zu fahren.

Marc und Kerrie wohnen mit ihren beiden Soehnen, Russel (2 Jahre) und Rourke (5 Wochen!) in einem Vorort, 20 km ausserhalb von Gabs. Hier sind wir ueber das Wochenende geblieben und haben schoen gegrillt, viel gelacht und gekloent und ich wollte sofort Babies haben… Am Montag haben wir unsere Erlaubnis fuer den Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR) beantragt und auch gleich bekommen und konnten somit am naechsten Tag weiterfahren.


Where are we: Kalahari, Botswana

Date: 16th February 2005

End GPS: S23 22.062 E024 37.800

Weather: sunny and hot with hot desert wind

Camping: bushcamp just outside Khutse Game Reserve

So after a refreshing stay in Gabs we are heading north, homeward bound. We cannot come through Africa and not drive across the Kalahari, Pans and Chobe Reserve, so that is what the next week or so shall be about. The trip through Central Kalahari will require us to have a fuel range of 1300 km. That is right at the limit of Duks fuel capacity, and so as ever thanks to Marc who kindly donated two 25 litre jerry cans. We now have a comfortable fuel reserve for the journey ahead.

The Central Kalahari is majestic land, covering over 5 280 000 ha of open woodland, sandveld and scrub, the reserve is the second largest conservation in the world, surpassed only by Selous in Tanzania. The reserve was once home to the San (or Bushmen) tribes. The area was originally proclaimed as a reserve for the San and Bakgalakgadi hunter gatherers. Sadly the San have been driven from the Kalahari by the Botswana government in the name of “Conservation” and “Protection” for the wildlife with which this indigenous people use to live side by side with in a balanced harmony as hunter gatherers. This equilibrium between man and animal was forever destroyed by the governments so called “Conservation” programme. As the San tribes where literally forcibly evicted from “THEIR” land and incongruously “re-settled” outside the reserve, a way off life that had remained unchanged for centuries came to an abrupt and undignified end. As ever there was an hidden motive for moving the San……..”Diamonds”. I am sure the Bots government upon the discovery of diamonds in the Kalahari reserve didn’t want any land rights issues or proceedings that may see their little nest egg of glittering wealth be contested and possible lost. What easier way then to move the San out of the equation entirely by relocating them. How ironic that conservation and preservation was the tool by which they destroyed and made extinct a way of life. How absurd that conservation and preservation can be used today as a weapon against a people who knew more about environmentalism than we shall ever hope to learn. How disgusting that a government does not see the value and wealth that such a people brings to their country and culture in the form of tourism. Ask any tourist one of the reasons for coming to this region of Africa and I am sure 8 out of 10 will name the San (Bushmen) as one of their top 10 reasons, ironic that a government destroyed one of its greatest tourism assets in the belief some diamonds would be more rewarding.

What is left for the San, they have been relocated to New Xade, a barren area where water has to be pumped from over 40km away, a land where there is no indigenous herds of Antelope, where little grows in the soil, a place of little hope and dying traditions and customs. The San’s original home at Xade is however a fertile land, a place where the antelope grazes and the grasses and root vegetables, upon which the San use to hunt and gather, are plentiful. What is in Xade now? It is an entrance gate to the reserve!! A place that is polluted with the rubbish of the rangers and staff that manage the gate, a place in which the government is building modern housing for its staff along with accommodation for wealthy tourist to come and spend their money.  Xade and its traditional balance between man and nature, like the San, I fear shall slowly fade and die. Where is the equilibrium between a husband and wife sipping G&T’s on a sundeck overlooking the azure waters of a chlorinated swimming pool of a luxury lodge, as a lone Impala walks across the grassland. Sadly the parasite has started to infect the Kalahari reserve and I am sure that after the building of the nice entrance gates, staff accommodation and initial government run lodges, shall come the tar or gravel roads and the private luxury lodges. This like the Delta will effectively signal the exclusion, not just of the indigenous San people, but of the average citizen who cannot afford to visit modern managed mother nature. Let us hope my pessimistic outlook is just that.

The Kalahari is often mistakenly thought of as a desolate land of sand and desert, it covers 1.2 million sq km and is a mix of low veld scrub and trees. The rivers that use to flow across the sandy deposits dried from the surface many moons ago, but life to the land is maintained by ephemeral rivers that burst into life with the coming of the summer rains. Our journey through the Kalahari shall take us from south entering via Khutse game resave, then north across the sandy tracks of the Central Kalahari reserve, before we enter the Makgadikgadi and Nxai pans and then exit the north of Botswana having traversed the Chobe Game reserve.

We stopped just outside the gate to Khutse reserve and found a bushcamp in a clearing in the scrub for the night. The reserves here are unfenced and the animals free roaming so we made ourselves a nice fire to ward off any unwanted predators on their night shifts. We enjoyed a wonderful evening under the stars enjoying the solitude and silence that is the Kalahari. Our evening was only disturbed by a ranger who came past and stopped to warn us of lion whom he advised us were roaming the area. We chatted for a while and on his departure stoked the fire a little higher, later in the evening we did indeed here the territorial cry of the lion near by but alas they chose not to pay us a visit. We found out the next day they had been 2 km up the road at the staff camp and entrance gate to the reserve.


Nachdem wir uns verabschiedet und bedankt haben sind wir zur Apotheke gefahren um noch mehr Doxycycline (antimalaria Tabletten) zu kaufen. Dann haben wir Marc in Gabs bei Worldfood, ein Supermarkt mit Waren aus der ganzen Welt, insbesondere viele Deutsche Waren, getroffen. David hat ganz erfreut Gruehnkohl aus der Dose und Bratwuerste eingekauft, Marc hat uns Toffifee gekauft und dann sind wir endlich losgefahren. Wir haben noch zwei plastik 25L Kanister von Marc bekommen und somit ueber 200 L Diesel getankt und Wasser aufgeladen und sind dann zur Kalahari gefahren. Wir waren so super schwer auf dem Dach, fast schon beaengstigend; DuK ist wie ein Schiff durch die See geschaukelt…

Der Asphalt hoerte irgendwann auf und kleine Huetten und Laeden haben moderne Haeuser ersetzt und ich wurder wieder “Mama” und “Sister” genannt.

Wir sind um 17:40 Uhr am Khutse GR gate angekommen und haetten noch fuer heute Eintritt bezahlen muessen. Also haben wir einen Kilometer vorher ein bushcamp gefunden, Feuerholz gesammelt und einen schoenen Abend in der Kalahari verbracht. Wir hatten ein riesiges Feuer und ploetzlich kam einer der Rangers vom Eingang und hat uns vor den Loewen gewarnt, die sie schon seit Wochen tracken und sich in dieser Gegend aufhielten…..und mitten in der Nacht hat sich das bestaetigt, da wir sie lauthals bruellen gehoert haben….


Where are we: Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR), Botswana

Date: 17th February 2005

End GPS: S22 22.252 E023 30.318

Total Kilometres: 48 134 km

Weather: hot and sunny, 44 C

Camping: bushcamp in CKGR, 60 km before Xade

An early start for us today. The tracks leading us north are sandy and in a poor state and we are expecting to make passage at a mere 15km. We entered the gate to Khutse reserve, paid our 350 Pula (about £40) for a day and camping (not cheap by any stretch) and set off into the reserve. We were rewarded with Gemsbok (long time since we saw these guys), wildebeest, heartebeest, springbok, ostrich and a large tortoise. The openness of Khutse soon gave way to denser foliage as we crossed the imaginary line between Khutse and Central Kalahari. As the bush grew thicker so did the sand and we stopped to deflate the tyres to a more suitable pressure. The grass is high and we are thankful of the radiator grass seed protector which stops grass seeds from clogging the radiator and causing overheating. We did however still have to stop frequently to brush the seeds from the netting. The sand got deeper as the day went on and any hope of animals sightings diminished as the veld hid any clear view.

We made much better progress then expected and reached our proposed camp at Bape at 13:30. To early to stop we chose to push on. The Kalahari is lonely and we didn’t see any other vehicles or people all day. Forget nice campsites or shops or garages, this is nature and you are on your own out here, albeit for a fee!!  It’s so cool…… We pushed on through the sand making our turns on cue. As we started west toward Xade we caught sight of smoke rising ahead of us. As we approached we saw large bush fires to our left. The bush to the right had been burnt to the ground and the land became a smoldering lunar landscape. We were about 5 km further up the road when we saw that the bush fires here were still on the north side of the track and with the wind blowing southerly they were racing toward and across the track. We hesitated and considered turning around, but with the unpredictability of the wind direction we could not be sure that a bush camp back to the east would be safe. We decided to race through the fires and hope that they didn’t go too far along the track which we couldn’t see. We entered the fire zone with fire on both sides of the vehicle, it made for a few moments of concern as the heat intensified, fortunately the fires were only for a short passage and after a kilometre we had them in our rear view mirrors. We continued on our way wanting to put as much distance between us and them as possible.

The driving was fun and we had a good day exercising the DuK and her 4 wheel drive. We stopped just 60km from Xade and made a bushcamp. Very quiet night and good spag bol for dinner with a good fire to illuminate the land. After dinner we adjourned to the roof terrace for a night cap and we were visited by a lone Duiker as he foraged his way through the bush.


Heute sind es 2 Monate ohne zu rauchen – herrlich! Nachdem wir die Loewen so nahe gehoert haben konnte ich gar nicht mehr richtig schlafen….Wir sind um 5:50 Uhr aufgestanden und haben den Sonnenaufgang in der Kalahri genossen, Kaffee gemacht und sind zum Eingangstor gefahren. Der Park ist nicht so ganz billig, wie die meisten Sachen in Botswana und es gibt keine Moeglichkeiten Wasser zu bekommen. Es gibt markierte Campingplaetze wo man Campen soll, aber die sind meistens nicht mehr als ein Buschcamp, ausser einige, die Plumsklos und Eimer zum Duschen haben. Die Wege waren softer tiefer Sand und nicht befahrbar fuer keine gelaendetuechtigen Autos. Wir haben ein paar Gemsboecke, Gnus, Hartebeest, Springboecke, Strausse und Schildkroeten gesehen! Das war toll, aber man konnte die Tiere nicht oft sehen, da es zu dichter Busch war.

Sobald wir von Khutse GR zum CKGR gekommen sind haben wir kaum noch Tiere gesehen und die Wege wurden auch noch schlimmer! Trotzdem sind wir schon am Bape Bushcamp, wo wir fuer registriert waren, um 13:20 Uhr angekommen. Hier war nichts und wir haben uns entschlossen weiterzufahren. Es war megaheiss und ein langsames Vorankommen, so dass wir unsere Reifen auf 2bar runtergelassen haben. Wir haben ein paar Chongalolos (grosse schwarze Tausendfuessler), Paviane und Geier gesehen. Das Grass ist so hoch in der Mitte des Weges, dass unsere ganze Lueftung beim Landy vorne die Grassamen eingesammelt und verstopft hat, obwohl wir schon den Grasschutz hatten…

Um 17:50 Uhr sind wir bei einer Buschkreuzung angekommen und haben hier ein schoenes Buschcamp gemcht, Feuerholz gesammelt um uns von irgendwelchen hintertuchsigen Raubkatzen zu schuetzen. David hat die Heizung auseinander genommen und noch Moskitonetz davor gemacht. Dann haben wir mit unserer Dusche im Busch geduscht – herrlich! – gekocht, und uns auf unsere Dachterasse mit ein Glas Wein gesetzt, sobald das Feuer ausging, und die Stille der Wueste und den Lauten des Busches gelauscht…..


Where are we: CKGR, Botswana

Date: 18th February 2005

End GPS: S21 47.569 E23 12.880

Total Kilometres: 48 256 km

Weather: hot and sunny in the day, BAD Thunderstorm and heavy rain at night

Camping: Pipers Pan Campsite

It’s beautiful out here. Solitude, nature, and tranquility, the sound of the DuK seems alien and amplified in this land. The landscape is changing again going back to more open grasslands and dry pans from which the sunlight shimmers casting illusions of refreshing lakes of water that entice you to speed toward them like Sirens of the sea. The sandy tracks betray those that trod their path in the dark of the night, they are long gone but their impression shall saty until the next rains wash them clean. We saw spore of many antelope and then very fresh spore of a Cheetah walking toward the Xade pan, sadly we didn’t get to see him. As we drove the sandy track I had another close encountger on my side with a very hissed off snake, bright green and black he reared up as we went past. I thought it was a large green mamba but upon reaching Xade gate and speaking with the ranger we were advised it was more likely a Baumslang. Whatever, it stood up pretty damn tall.

The landscape from Xade heading north is beautiful, a mosaic of grasslands, scrub and open ghost pans. The wildlife is becoming more abundant and we are seeing large herds of Gemsbok, Springbok, Heartebeest and Wildebeest. Still we are unlucky and haven’t seen the famous brown hyena, Kalahari lion or cheetah. We are approaching Deception Valley, the site of Delia and Mark Owens 1974 to 1981 brown hyena study, which was made famous by the publication of the book “Cry of the Kalahari”.  We stopped short of the valley at Pipers Pan. It’s a good campsite with a basic drop toilet and a bucket shower, we were the first people here since they built the faciluties, I won’t tell you how we knew this fact………Sadly our nice evening under the stars was cut short by a thunderstorm that raged around. Our nice fire was drenched and we ended up spending the evening sitting in the cab. 


Ich hab supergut und tief geschlafen und wir sind erst um 9 Uhr aufgestanden, haben Tee und Kaffee mit unserem Kelly Kettle gemacht und sind dann um 11 Uhr weitergefahren.  Es hat ein bisschen geregnet und war sehr drueckend. In Xade mussten wir wieder 350 Pula! bezahlen und die Strassen waren alle schlammig und rutschig wie die gelbe Strasse in Gabon! Dann hat sich der Busch etwas geoeffnet und es wurde mehr Savannen aehnlich. Wir sind um 15:54 Uhr bei den Pipers Pan angekommen, wo wir bei dem einfachen Campingplatz mit Buschdusche und nagelneuem Plumsklo campen konnten.

Hier oben in den Salzpfannen sieht man endlich mal mehr Tiere, Antilopen und noch mehr Schildkroeten und es kommt einen eher wie die Wueste und nicht wie der Busch vor.

Das Buschcamp hier war schoen und wir haben unser Zelt aufgebaut und es mit Wasserfestiger eingepinselt. David hat viel Holz gefunden und wir haben es uns so richtig schoen am Camp gemacht. Ich hab David’s Haare gescheert und dann haben wir mit der Eimerdusche im Busch geduscht. Wir wollten gerade anfangen zu kochen, da haben wir schon Blitze am Horizont gesehen. David konnte gerade noch das schoene Feuer anzuenden, da kam der Sturm….das Gewitter war wieder im Kreis gefangen und kam immer wieder. Wir haben unser Camp aufgegeben und es uns mit einem Whisky und Sandwich im Landy vorne bequem gemacht, Photos runtergeladen, und sind irgendwann enttaeuscht ins Bett, in ein nasses (trotz Wasserfestiger!) Zelt, gegangen.


Where are we: CKGR, Botswana

Date: 19th February 2005

End GPS: S21 17.532 E23 42.535

Total Kilometres: 48 396 km

Weather: sunny, overcast, humid, and WORSE Thunderstorm and HEAVIER rain at night!

Camping: Leopard Pan Campsite

We left camp and continued our journey north. The sandy tracks give way to a combination of hard baked clay and soft bogs as we cross the pans. We are now on Deception pan and the going has been made a little harder going from the rains of yesterday. We slip and slide our way over the pan and then enter an innocent looking stretch of water, the water starts shallow and then suddenly we are diving down, not knowing what lies further we abort and make a sharp turn to the right, leaping us from the water and into the bush where we bundi bash our way back to the track where the water has subsided. This is rainy season and so we can expect a lot more deep encounters like this. The pan is home to a variety of antelope, wildebeest, gemsbok and predators but sadly we never saw the lion, cheetah or hyena. We pushed on past the pan and headed to Leopard pan where we made a nice camp with a spectacular fire. It was lovely to sit and watch the animals on the pan as the sun set. We enjoyed a good meal and then retired to bed.

We heard it coming before it hit us, a roar in the distant night that raced through the bush toward us, then it hit. The rooftent rocked violently and the wind ripped at the rain cover, tearing the metal supports from their housing. Then the rain came, not a gradual escalation but rather a cloud burst. As the torrent beat at our door the tent became illuminated by bright light that buzzed and hissed for 5 seconds or more, this was followed instantly be an earth shattering burst of thunder that had us scrabbling from the tent. The storm had circled us earlier in the night but not threatened, but like a hungry lion it approached as we retired to bed. It took us perhaps 15 seconds to rech the sanctuary of the back of the landie but in this time we were soaked and another 3 bolts of lightning struck around the camp. The rain was so intense that the roof hatch was overcome and we had a waterfall in the cab. The storm raged above us for about 30 minutes and then decided to leave us alone. It moved of south, the rain stopped only to then return 10 minutes later. It stayed all night not as a drizzle but as a torrent. We eventually returned to the rooftent and thankfully slepted through the remainder of the storm. This was truly the worst storm I have ever endured and to be honest I hope it shall be the last as it was truly frightening.


Wir sind um 8:30 Uhr aufgestanden und sind zur Pipers Pan gefahren. Es war ein schoener morgen, wir haben einige Antilopen gesehen und die Strassen waren sehr rutschig, besonders auf den salzigen Pfannen mit dem feinen schleimigen Staub, wie Eis!

Wir haben Daenen getroffen, die schon seit 4 Jahren um die Welt fahren – die ersten Menschen die wir im Park getroffen haben und nicht hier arbeiten! Wir haben ein paar stories ausgetauscht und dann weitergefahren. Ueberall sehen wir Loewenspuren und hoeren sie nachts, koennen sie aber nicht sehen. Deception Pan ist beruehmt fuer seine ganzen Tiere, aber wir haben nur ein paar Oryx, Gnus und Springboks gesehen. Als wir weiter zur Leopard Pan gefahren sind haben wir “bat-eared foxes”, kleine Fuechse mit riesigen Ohren, die sind sehr sues, und Schakale gesehen.

Bei dem Campingplatz haben wir wieder Holz gesucht und Camp gemacht und ich hab frueh Thai Green chicken curry gekocht. Somit waren wir schon vor der Dunkelheit fertig mit allem und konnten den Abend im Busch geniessen. So haben wir uns das jedenfalls gedacht, bis der Sturm kam….

Wir waren schon um 20:10 Uhr im Bett und da kam das Gewitter, es war unglaublich! Sowas hab ich noch nie gehoert, gesehen oder gefuehlt! Der Regen war so hart und die Blitze haben das ganze Zelt erleuchtet wie Tageslicht fuer Minuten!! Der Sturm hat alles durch die Gegend gewirbelt, ausser erstaunlicherweise unser Zelt, und der Donner hat fuer immer gerollt und gedonnert – beaengstigend! Nachdem das halbe Zelt durchgeregnet hat und die Blitze nicht aufhoerten, haben wir uns entschlossen uns ins Auto zu verkriechen. Innerhalb einer halben Minute waren wir klitschnass! Das ganze Gewitter war einfach unbeschreiblich! Unser Sonnendach hat so geleckt, dass wir einen Kaffebecher innerhalb ein paar Sekunden gefuellt haben. So lagen wir hinten im Landy und haben uns gewundert was aus uns wird….

Um 22:15 Uhr wurde es endlich weniger und wir haben uns wieder ins Zelt getraut, das war natuerlich pitschnass! Das Gewitter hat aber lange noch nicht aufgehoert und am naechsten Morgen hat es immer noch geregnet……


Where are we: Maun, Botswana

Date: 20th – 21st February 2005

Weather: sun, clouds, rain, thunderstorm

Camping: Audi Camp

We woke to a very wet camp and a flooded Kalahari. The rains were relentless only stopping at 7:00, I have never witnessed 10 hours of torrential rain. The rooftent held up surprisingly well considering. We ditched any idea of driving further around the Kalahari,  the trails that were sand are now under 2 or 3 feet of water and the conditions are slippery as hell. We headed off toward the trial for the exit gate, a journey of 40 km that, in the end would take us nearly 2 hours to cover. The water is difficult as it is impossible to get a bow wave and as a consequence the water is invading the engine bay and shorting the alternator charging circuit, it appears to be a short circuit but nevertheless a red light on the dash is needless worry. Then things very nearly went seriously wrong. The DuK is equipped with a breather snorkel and as such we have waded her successfully on many occasions, however unbeknown the breather pipe connecting the snorkel to the air box had perished and was littered with small holes. As we drove the suction from the engine intake sucked more and more water into the air box and filter and then to my horror I lost power and on looking into the rear view mirror had the gut wrenching sight of thick black and grey/blue smoke pouring from the exhaust. We had ingested water through the turbo and into the cylinders. Luck was so on our side today, we stopped immediately and on opening the air box found a good litre of water. The engine had recovered to normal, she ran sweet as ever and had full power. We did a check to see if the water had contaminated the oil but again luckily we found no trace. It appeared that the water had entered as vapour and had actually worked to decoke the engine. We were so lucky, had we ingested more water it could have blown the engine and spelt the end of our trip. After our scare we proceeded with extreme caution and drove wherever possible to keep the air intake out of the deep water.  The episode spelt the end to our quest to go from the South Kalahari all the way to the north side of Chobe. We can not take the chance that we won’t encounter deep water again and as such we are diverting to Maun to get a replacement air intake pipe, I simply will not feel comfortable taping the perished one up.

We drove the 160km to Maun and returned to Audi camp where we stayed nearly 6 months ago. We shall have a couple of days here to get the hose and to restock on fuel, food and water.


Wir waren so angenervt vom Regen und Gewitter, dass wir alles nass zusammengepackt haben, ein Brot fuer die Fahrt gemacht haben und dann weiter gefahren sind. Die Wege waren einfach nur unglaublich und jetzt haben wir auch noch einen Riss in der Luftleitung entdeckt! Somit koennen wir eigentlich nicht durch Pfitzen fahren, aber die gibt es hier reichlich…David manoevriert den Landy sehr gut wie immer durch diesen rutschigen Match, Schleim und Wasserloechern. Um 11:30 Uhr sind wir am Ausgang angekommen und der Parkwaerter hatten keinen Stift und konnte uns also nicht aus dem Park rauszeichnen und somit mussten wir auch nicht fuer den letzten Tag bezahlen (gut fuer uns!). Weiter ging’s nach Raskop wo wir unsere Reifen wieder aufgepumpt haben und dann zur Leroo Le Tau lodge wo wir campen wollten. Hier hat sich keiner um den Campingplatz gekuemmert und es fing schon wieder an zu gewittern, also haben wir uns kurzerhand entschlossen nach Maun, wieder zum Audi Camp, zu fahren. Hier sind wir um 17:45 Uhr ankamen, haben sofort zwei kalte Biere bestellt, in der Bar ein Steak gegessen, und sind um 20:05 Uhr ins Bett gegangen und sofort eingeschlafen.

Am naechsten Tag hat David eine neue Leitung besorgt und angebracht und ich war im Internet. Abends haben wir dann unseren Gruenkohl mit Wuersten und Bratkartoffeln gekocht und David war sehr happy!


Where are we: Baines Baobabs, Botswana

Date: 22nd February 2005

End GPS: S20 07.072 E24 45.888

Total Kilometres: 48 986 km

Weather: hot, sunny, 36.4 C, lovely no rain!

Camping: Bushcamp across the salt pan from Baines Baobabs, beautiful spot!

With the air intake fixed a full load of fuel and water and a larder stocked to the brim we drove the 136 km back to the turn off that will take us to Nxai Pan. We first made a detour to Baines Baobabs. The track is again sandy but at least dry. The drive was rewarded with sightings of Gemsbok and then Elephant. They were pretty agitated so we kept a distance and allowed them to go at their pace as they crossed the road ahead of us. Baines Baobabs proved to be a fantastic bushcamp. The baobabs sit in a cluster atop a small island in an ocean of dry pan, they were formerly known as the Sleeping Sisters and were immortalised in paintings by artist and explorer Thomas Baines during his ventures through Africa in the 1800’s. The pans are the remains of a large inland lake, larger than lake Victoria, which covered most of northern Botswana half a million years ago. The whitish-grey surface of the pans stretch out into the distance, through the shimmer we watch a small herd of Gemsbok stroll over trhe baking surface. Sadly it is no longer possible to camp beneath the baobabs due to the irresponsibility of previous visitors who have recklessly scribed their names into the bark of the trees. Why people need to graffiti such a natural beauty is beyond my understanding. The campsite is now across the pan about 100 metres from the trees and it provides a wonderful terrace from which to observe as the light changes the landscape from hard white to yellow, then orange and then a magical rose tint. We found Baines to be one of the most romantic bushcamps in Botswana and the solitude and tranquility were invigorating. 


Wir haben ein paar Kaffee getrunken, und dann unsere Visa fuer Zambia, durch einen Backpacker in Livingstone, uebers Telefon, organisiert. Dadurch spart man sich die 50US$ fuer’s Visa, muss dann aber 2 Naechte in dem Backpackers bleiben, egal ob camping oder Zimmer.

In Maun haben wir noch schreckliche Passphotos machen lassen und draussen ist kurz mal die Elektrische Leitung angebrannt….Wir mussten ca. 150km auf Asphalt fahren, dann kam ein Abzweiger und die Strasse wurde wieder sandig. Um 13:53 Uhr sind wir bei den Baines Baobabs, die zur Nxai Pan National Park gehoeren, angekommen. Die waren sehr schoen riesig und man kann verstehen warum Thomas Baines diese malen wollte. Unterwegs haben wir Elephanten und Gemsboecke gesehen. Wir haben Photos geschossen und sind dann ueber die Salzpfanne zu dem markierten buschcamp gefahren. Hier hatte man schoene Aussicht ueber die Salzpfanne und auf die Baobabs – ein wunderschoenes buschcamp und mit einer meiner Lieblingsplaetze auf diesem Trip!

Wir haben alles aufgebaut und den Nachmittag damit verbracht zu relaxen, die Stille und Aussicht zu geniessen und Photos gemacht. Es war traumhaft und so entspannend! Die Sonne hat silbrig auf der Pfanne geschimmert und abends der Sonnenuntergang war ein Traum. Dann haben wir mit dem Potje auf dem Feuer gekocht, mit Mami und Papi vom Satphone gesprochen, und hatten fast Vollmond, der auf der Pfanne schimmerte, und der Abend war perfekt!


Where are we: Nxai Pan, Botswana

Date: 23rd February 2005

End GPS: S19 56.207 E24 46.606

Total Kilometres: 49 115 km

Weather: mixed – sun & thunderstorm

Camping: South Camp, Nxai Pan

The pan is speckled with umbrella Acacias and resembles in some way a small Serengeti. The pan provides excellent close encounter sightings of herds of animals. Gemsbok, Zebra, Springbok, Impala and much more; they are all here, as are the lion, cheetah, bat eared fox and wild dogs. The elephants and giraffe are absent from the pan at the moment as they seem to have gone on holiday to Baines Baobab. Our first game drive took us around the pan bringing with it sightings of many antelope and herds of zebra. We returned to south camp and enjoyed a nice evening before the thrunder and rain once again cut short our evening. Unbeknown to us the next morning would bring with it a marvelous and inspiring sighting.


Um 5:30 Uhr sind wir aufgestanden um den Sonnenaufgang auf der Pfanne zu photographieren, aber leider war der gewuenschte Effekt nicht so ganz da, also sind wir wieder ins Bett gekrochen. Spaeter sind wir aufgestanden, haben schoen gefruehstueckt und sind zum Nxai Pan National Park gefahren, wo wir um 11:00 Uhr ankamen, unterwegs haben wir noch Gemsboecke gesehen. Hier mussten wir wieder 350 Pula fuer den Eintritt und Uebernachtung im Park bezahlen. Wir sind als erstes zum South Camp gefahren um zu sehen wo die Daenen von einem Loewenrudel von 11 Loewen ueberrascht wurde! Wir haben unser Feuerholz und Kanister abgeladen, Mittag und Kaffee gemacht und sind dann auf Safari gefahren. Schon bald hat es in der Ferne schon wieder Gewittert und die Wege waren wieder eine einzige Rutschpartie. Wir haben schoene Zebraherden und tausende von Springboecken gesehen; ausserdem noch ein paar Giraffen, Schakale und kleine Schildkroeten.

Um 16:35 Uhr sind wir wieder zum Camp gefahren, muede vom Herumgucken und Gewitter. Wir haben unser Zelt und Markiese aufgebaut und ein grosses Feuer gebaut, worauf wir auch Kochen wollten. Dann kam das Gewitter zurueck – aetzend! Unser Sonnendachleck hat den ganzen Topf fuer die Spaghettis innerhalb von Minuten gefuellt, unglaublich! Als es endlich wieder weniger wurde haben wir schoen gegessen und danach ums Feuer gesessen und ueber Afrika, Europa und unsere Zukunft geredet…..


Where are we: Maun, Botswana

Date: 24th February 2005

Total Kilometres: 49 359 km

Camping: Audi Camp

We rose early to get a game drive in before leaving the reserve. We headed up the western road leading us north, 3 km from the gate Kat caught sight of something in the bush to our left. We stopped and to our absolute delight spotted a cheetah, then another, then another and another and would you believe another. We had stumbled upon a mother with her 4 offspring on an early morning stalking lesson. They weren’t at all bothered by us and walked right up and past us. It was such a beautiful thing to watch 5 Cheetah walking across the open plains of Africa, in the morning sunlight. We felt so priveledge and we sat and watched them learn and play together for 20 minutes. Like domestic cats the young chased and jumped onto eachother having a ball whilst mum sat with her head in her paws wondering how on earth she was ever going to teach these reprobates the way of life on the wild side. Fantastic!!!!!!

With the northern exit to Chobe apparently no more we have to retrace the 136km back to Maun where we can pick up the road north to Chobe. The short circuit is back as our oil light is stuck on. I tested to ensure we had oil pressure and oil. After pouring a lot of fresh water over the connectors and sender unit and 10 km down the road the light finally went out. Thanks to Gritt und Lorenz, overlanding in an EFA truck, for stopping to see if all was OK.


Wir sind heute um 6:00 Uhr aufgestanden, haben schnell zusammengepackt und sind auf Safari gefahren. Der Himmel war wunderschoen und die Luft klar und feucht. Das fruehe Aufstehen hat sich gelohnt, die Landschaft war nicht nur wunderschoen in dem Licht, sondern wir haben auch noch Geparden gesehen! Erst hab ich wieder die Bateared Fuechse gesehen und dann ploetzlich aus meinem Augenwinkel hab ich eine Katze aus den Bueschen schleichen gesehen. Wir haben angehalten, sind zurueckgefahren und haben eine Gepardenfamilie gesehen! Die waren direkt neben unserem Auto und wollten ueber die Strasse. Das war so toll! David hat den Motor abgeschaltet und Mami und Papi Cheetah sind ueber den Weg spaziert und haben auf der anderen Seite am Baum gewartet und diesen markiert. Die drei Kinder – so sues mit ihren Irokesenharrschnitt, obwohl nicht mehr so jung – haben gespielt wie unsere Katzen zu Hause, und einer war ganz neugierig und wollte sich auf’s Auto stuerzen, hat es sich dann doch noch anders ueberlegt als seine Mutter ihn miauend gerufen hat… Das war echt genial! Dann wollten die Eltern ihren Kindern zeigen wie man jagt und sich benimmt wenn man auf eine Herde Zebras mit Jungen stoesst. Erst sind die drei ihren Eltern gefolgt und haben brav nachgemacht was die machen, dann wurde es diesen aber zu langweilig und sie haben sich gegenseitig auf sich gestuerzt und getobt wie die verrueckten. Die ganzen Zebras waren aufgeregt, haben ihren Alarmruf geschrien und sind in alle Richtungen gejagt – das war zu komisch. Mama Cheetah war nicht so beeindruckt von ihren Zoeglingen…..

Das war natuerlich ein supertoller morgen und danach sind wir auf Loewensuche gefahren, da wir sie morgens gehoert haben, konnten sie aber nicht finden. Dann gings zurueck zum Camp wo wir Fruehstueck gemacht haben und noch ganz aufgeregt von unserer Safari waren. Danach ging’s weiter Richtung Maun. Leider mussten wir wieder die selbe Strasse zurueckfahren, da der Weg gen Norden geschlossen war wegen zu vielen umgekippten Baeumen. Als wir nach einer Weile wieder Asphalt erreichten mussten wir erstmal anhalten, da unser Oelwarnlicht immer wieder ankam. David hat alles gecheckt aber es war ok, war wohl nur die Elektrik nach dem ganzen Wasser wo wir durchgefahren sind.

In Maun haben wir erstmal Mittag gegessen, getankt und waren bei der Bank und dann war es schon wieder so spaet dass wir uns entschlossen haben wieder zum Audi camp zu fahren und morgen dann frueh los Richtung Chobe und Zambia zu fahren.

Wir haben wieder Gritt und Lorenz hier getroffen, die in ihrem Ifa Truck (wie Andreas im Senegal) von Wiesbaden die Ostkueste runtergefahren sind, und haben uns lange mit denen unterhalten und Reiseinformationen ausgetauscht.


Where are we: Kasane, Botswana

Date: 25th February 2005

End GPS: S17 48.533 E25 08.696

Total Kilometres: 49 711 km

Weather: hot and sunny

Camping: Chobe Safari Lodge

Heading north toward Chobe we had about 20 km of good tar and then the road went to a sandy track. We made good progress but then the track started to deteriorate not too bad at first but we did have to negotiate puddles and deeper sand and mud, then the track just went to hell. The puddles and swamp land increased to the point that we couldn’t avoid wading through them. Fine but the water was getting deeper and the mud more slipper and we weren’t even at the gate of Chobe. When we did arrive at the gate we found nobody there, just a sign saying to drive to the next scout camp. Chobe south is not very frequented by tourists in the wet season and the road through the south park in the rainy season is the reason why. Our challenge for the day was to drive through water splashes that came over the bonnet, drop into deep mud filled gullleys and avoid herds of seriously territorial elephants that dominate Chobe. Believe me try to navigate the DuK through mud and deep water and outrun elephants is not as easy as it may sound. It was great fun but at one point we really did consider turning around as at the rate of progress we were making it would take us near 12 hours to transit south to north through the park, our average speed was a wonderful 15km. We persevered and after submerging the nose of the DuK on 2 occassions the water started to subside and our progress improved as the track became more solid and reliable.



Because it is the wet season all of the game parks are thick bush which means seeing game as you drive the main tracks is hard, we did however see a lot of trumpeting elephants that made the journey exciting. Chobe is a nice reserve the south being quite inaccessible as the the main tourism comes in from the north gate. Our progress was swift as we hit the soft sand and DuK blasted her way through. We ended up transiting the park and arriving in Kasane at 18:30 where we stayed at the Chobe Safari Lodge with its superb facility that caters for all budgets and is set right on the rivers edge, indeed in the night we were visited by a friendly hippo as he came out to graze by the Duk. We have arranged our visas for Zambia via a backpackers in Livingstone, this is excellent as it saves us having to spend nearly $100US on visas as the lodges get the visas free of charge, so come the morning we will be off to Zambia and Livingstone to visit the Vic Falls, go white water rafting on the Zambizi, bunji jump, microlight over the falls and have a good time.


Nachdem wir die ganze Nacht Esel, Hunde und Haehne kreischen gehoert haben sind wir endlich um 8:45 Uhr weitergekommen. Wir sind ca. 20 km gefahren und der Asphalt wurde zu einer Schotterpiste und dann zu einem Sandweg wie irgendwo mitten in West Afrika. Wir haben schon einige Elephanten gesehen und waren besonders geschockt die umgeknickten Baeume und die Zerstoerung von Elephanten zu sehen, echt unglaublich! Um 12:01 Uhr sind wir am Mbababe Tor vom Chobe Park im Sueden angekommen, da war aber niemand. Die Wege waren unbeschreiblich, dies sollte eine Hauptattraktion fuer Touristen sein??! Und wie diese Touristen diesen Park befahren war uns ein Schimmer, allerdings waren wir auch hier mitten in der Regenzeit….wie immer gut geplant! Und dafuer soll man soviel Geld bezahlen, eine Enttaeuschung von Botswana bisher mit all diesen Parks! Es gibt schlechte Wegbeschreibung, keine unterhaltenen Wege und keine Information, keine Karten und trotzdem wollen die so viel Geld nur damit man das Gefuehl kriegt im Busch zu sein – das hatten wir 1 Jahr lang umsonst!!

Na-ja, nachdem wir mitten in einem Elephantenstau steckten und immer wieder von den grossen gewarnt wurden, die ihre kleinen schuetzen wollten, haben wir es nach ueber einer halben Stunde endlich durch geschafft. Ausser noch mehr Elephanten und zwei grosse Schildkroeten haben wir nicht mehr Tiere gesehen. Wir sind aus dem Park rausgefahren, an ein paar Doerfern vorbei und dann wieder auf einer geteerten Transitstrecke von Namibia kommend, durch den Chobe Park durch bis nach Kasane gefahren. In Kasane sind wir um 18:10 Uhr angekommen und haben uns zum Camping in der Chobe Safari Lodge eingecheckt und waren genau zum Sonnenuntergang ueber dem Chobe Fluss an der Bar – traumhaft!

Die Chobe Safari Lodge ist echt cool, bietet Unterkunft in allen Klassen an und alle duerfen sich mischen und Pool und Restaurant benutzen. Wir haben Spaghetti gekocht und die in der Bar gegessen, da ueberall Warnschilder von Krokodilen war. Mitten in der Nacht sind wir beide aufgewacht weil wir es im Busch knacken gehoert haben – ein Hippo war direkt vor unserem Kuechenzelt und hat schoen am Grass geknappert….

Where are we: Livingstone, Zambia

Date: 26th – 28th February 2005

End GPS: S17 50.875 E025 51.242

Total Kilometres: 50,100 km

Weather: hot and sunny, rain at night

Camping: Jollyboys Backpackers

“Doctor Livingstone I presume?”

So here we are in Zambia, Livingstone, adrenalin hangout of Africa. Whatever you want to do you can do it here provided you have the money and the nerve. Try for example a canyon swing which involves stepping off the gorge top plummeting 60 metres where the climbing rope then tensions and swings you out across the gorge over the Zambezi river, or try shooting the 25 rapids on the Grade 5 listed Zambezi. Not your cup of tea? How about a headlong fall off the bridge strapped to a bunji cord. If that isn’t enough then try boogie bording rapid 11 (overland truck eater) which provides a perfect tube wave. Still not enough then why not skydive, microlight, go James Bond up the Zambezi gorge in a jet ranger helicopter, do aerobatic over the falls in a Tiger Moth?........oh, and if you want you can just walk to the falls…………….

So what are we doing here, well we did the white water, Kat did the bunji, we did the microlight and who knows I may even do a canyon swing……..hah ha and then again maybe I won’t.

Here are some of the highlights of the time in Livingstoner and Vic Falls……….enjoy the photos


Zambia wir kommen! Wir haben erst mal schoen ausgeschlafen, Fruehstueck gemacht und uns die Lodge angeguckt. Dann sind wir um 11:16 losgefahren. Es war sehr heiss, 40.1 C, und wir warne um 11:30 Uhr an der Faehre nach Kasunga. Die Faehre kam eine halbe Stunder spaeter, wir haben noch unsere letzen Pula mit einem Jungen gegen Kwacha getauscht und haben auf der anderen Seit problemlos unsere Visa fuer einen Monat fuer Zambia bekommen. Wir mussten noch eine kleine Strassensteuer und 20US$ fuer die kurze Faehrenueberfahrt bezahlen und waren dann auf dem Weg nach Livingstone. Die Zambians an der Grenze waren alle sehr freundlich und die Leute am Strassenrand auch, wir hatten ein sehr gutes Gefuehl durch Zambia zu reisen.

Wir waren wieder in Afrika – Huehner werden lebend am Strassenrand verkauft oder ueber Kopf hinten auf dem Mofa mitgenommen! In Livingstone sind wir zu Falty Towers Backpackers gefahren, die unser Visa fuer uns umsonst organisiert haben, konnten dort aber leider nicht mit unserem Auto campen, obwohl wir dies vorher gecheckt haben….Also sind wir ein wenig herum gefahren und letztendlich in Jollyboys Backpackers gelandet wo wir fuer 4US$ pp im Parkplatz campen koennen. Das Campen ist nicht das Beste aber der Backpackers sehr nett und relaxed mit einer coolen Bar und Reisebuero die alle moeglichen Aktivitaeten organisieren. Ausserdem sind da Yoda, die Katze, die immer auf unser Dachterasse liegt und Stellung haelt und morgens zum Kuscheln ins Zelt kommt, und Mole, der Hund der unsere Schluesselanhaenger liebt und glaubt das sind die besten Spielzeuge auf der Welt, insbesondere wenn David ihn immer im Kreis dreht bi ser nicht mehr gerade stehen kann – der Arme….

Und das haben wir die naechsten Tage gemacht:

-          Victoria Falls, eines der Weltwunder. Wahnsinn wie weit und riesig diese Wasserfaelle sind. Unglaublich wie nass man wird von dem ganzen hochgespritzten Wasser, wie als staende man unter einer Dusche! Teilweise konnten wir keine Photos mehr machen, da die Kamera total nass war und die ganze Lense vollgespritzt und verschlagen war, schade! Vielleicht gehen wir nochmal zurueck!

-          Wir sind durch die Zambische Grenze und auf die Bruecke nach Zimbabwe gegangen. Leider koennen wir nicht nach Zim, da die 55US$ pp fuer ein Visa nehmen und wir dann auch wieder ein Zambisches Visa braeuchten. Bescheuert, dass die nicht 5US$ Tagespaesse ausstellen! Na-ja, wir waren auf der Bruecke und hier macht man Bunjee jumping. Ich wollte mir das unbedingt genau angucken und endlich kam auch jemand der springen wollte. Zwei Spanier haben es gemacht und dann musste ich es auch machen. Boar, ich hatte aber schiss! Und billig ist es auch nicht, 75US$ fuer Minuten Panik! So wie David das ausdrueckt….Tsja, es war schon panisch und auch cool als der Schwung und das hochkommen weniger wurde, aber es gab mir einen totalen Headrush. Als ich wieder sicher oben auf der Bruecke stand, dachte ich meine Augen springen gleich aus meinem Kopf und fuer den Rest des Tages stand ich leicht neben mir, konnte meinen Kopf absolut nicht bewegen und haben noch jetzt nach 2 Tagen Kopfschmerzen! Weiss nicht ob das normal ist, aber ich wuerd es nicht wieder machen, schon gar nicht fuer den Preis, dann lieber Fallschirmspringen!!!


-          White River Rafting auf dem Zambezi – supercool! Das macht echt total spass und ist echt toll wenn an manchen Stellen auch etwas beaengstigend und auf jedenfall des Geldes wert US$95. Man wird dafuer ueberall abgeholt, bekommt Fruehstueck, Mittag und Abendessen und kann nach dem raften soviel trinken wie man will, was man auch macht. Wir waren zu 8 und unser Guide Choongo. Ein Maedchen ist nach der dritten Stroemung wegen Panikattake abgesprungen und jemand musste sie wieder nach oben auf Land bringen. Dann waren wir zu acht mit unserem Guide und haben uns alle gut verstanden und waren ein gutes Team, haben gepaddelt und uns manchmal von dem Strom im Wasser nur mit unseren Schwimmwesten treiben lassen, uns gegenseitig nassgespritzt und sind weiter auch nicht gekentert. Das hat echt viel Spass gemacht.

Jetzt sind wir noch hier und wuerden am Liebsten noch den Helikopterflug und das Fallschirmspringen machen, aber das ist ziemlich teuer und Fallschirmspringen wird nur in Zimbabwe gemacht wo man dann wieder fuer Visa haetten bezahlen muessen. Bei den ganzen Aktivitaeten hier kann man echt arm werden! Wie ihr schon merkt, der Doller hat hier Oberhand und ich glaub das wird jetzt so bis nach Aethiopien bleiben….

Heute und morgen werden wir unser Tagebuch fuer Februar zu Ende machen und vielleicht nochmal zu den Vic Falls gehen, vielleicht ins Livingstone Museum, dann noch zu Foleys Africa (die Firma wo wir in UK unseren Landy gekauft haben), und heute Abend zum Sundowner ins Royal Livingstone Hotel mit einem Paar das wir hier kennengelernt haben, Flavia und Michael. Angeblich ist das hier das absolute Luxushotel und man fuehlt sich wie Karen Blixen in Jenseits von Afrika oder wie David Livingstone selbst, wenn man da hingeht. Brauch wohl nicht zu erwaehnen dass mein bestes Kleidungsstueck, mein alter Leinenrock!, draussen haengt um faltenfrei zu werden und dass ich jetzt erst mal meine Flipflops waschen werde…..mehr davon koennt ihr naechsten Monat lesen (ist naemlich schon der 1. Maerz!)….






DuK © Site sponsored by