Where are we? Morocco: Meknes to Rabat

Date: 1.12.2003

Start GPS: N33 52.808 W005 33.357

End GPS: N34 02.115 W006 49.734

DuK Kilometres: 3630

Duk Average Speed: 62.5 K/H

Duk Driving Time: 62.5 Hours

Weather: Rain 11 - 13 degrees

Camping: Sale

So we left Meknes in search of a cure for our illusive oil leak. Heading for Rabat and Land Rover the weather didn’t relent. Torrential rain hampered our progress and we soon discovered new ventilation / drainage holes in the DuK. I am sure we will be glad of them in the heat further south. We arrived in Sale, Rabat at 12:45 and seeing a sign for Pizza Hut we immediately indulged ourselves with a hot spicy one. We also stocked up on supplies and the all essential red blood. Rabat is a very western influenced city. French supermarkets and wide boulevards with chic boutiques. It appears the preaching of Islam is a little diluted with wine and beer, cigarettes and designer labels here.

We drove to Land Rover who as Land Rover dealers always do told us to come back in 3 days. If it had been an obvious oil leak I would have gone to a bush mechanic and had the problem fixed in an hour, but since our leak was from a part of the engine where no oil exists I wanted a qualified second opinion (so why was I at Land Rover…….more on this later as my confidence and appreciation of bush mechanics now far exceeds any Land Rover official mechanic!!) Peeved at the thought of 3 days in Rabat we headed for the campsite at Sale on the beach. What a toilet!! and made the more exciting by a full on storm with gale force winds. We sought shelter in the kitchen and cooked up a nice meal hiding from the storm. We had introduced ourselves to our neighbours, Vinka and Zane and invited them over to ours as they had no shelter in which to hide. Four people squeezed into the kitchen area made for a cosy evening of story telling and laughter. Good fun people we hope to meet later to go to Senegal.


Wir sind um 8.30 Uhr aufgestanden und es regnet Bindfaeden, zum Kotzen – die Waesche ist schon wieder nass! Nachdem wir Kaffee gemacht haben packen wir alles im Sturm und Regen zusammen, bezahlen und machen uns auf dem Weg nach Rabat auf die Suche nach Landrover. Steffi hat eine sms geschickt und geschrieben dass der kleine suesse Welpe in Meknes zum Weggeben war – wir wollten ihn sooo gerne mitnehmen und waren auch schon drauf und dran umzukehren… Es hat so wahnsinnig gepisst dass es mal wieder ueberall reinregnete und Toddi’s Dachlucke hat den Haertetest auch nicht ueberstanden – war schon echt sehr komisch. Um  12.45 Uhr sind wir in Rabat angekommen, sehr westeuropaeisch. Landrover sagte uns wir sollen Donnerstag wiederkommen, heute war Montag! Also blieb uns nichts anderes uebrig als nach Sale auf den sehr oeden Campingplatz zu fahren, aber nicht bevor wir bei Marjane, franzoesischer Supermarkt, angehalten und mit Wein aufgestockt haben. In Sale war es sehr windig und die ganze Situation hat unsere Laune nicht gerade verbessert. Also haben wir natuerlich unsere Stimmung, zusammen mit Vinka und Zane, die auf dem Weg nach Ghana sind, in riesen Maengen von Alkohol ertrunken.


Where are we? Morocco: Rabat

Date: 2.12.2003

Weather: Raining

Camping: As above

Waiting on Land Rover the weather will not give us an easy time. We have been trying to dry our washing for over 2 weeks now. We looked around Sale and found an internet café but we still are unable to get our computer to connect to upload the web site. Sale is the poor relation of it bigger brother Rabat. Whilst Rabat has been entwined by modern capitalism and consumer demand, Sale has remained pretty much untouched. I found it quaint and quite charming with very friendly locals and good market and shopping. Kat bought herself a local Geleb to combat the cold weather and has proven excellent value and service.  


Regen, regen, sturm, regen und hangover! Also haben wir bis um 16.00 Uhr Nachmittags gar nichts gemacht. Vinka und Zane haben mir Salzstangen gebracht da wir am Abend davor davon geredet haben, dass das meine einzige Hilfe beim hangover ist… Dann sind wir nach Sale in die Medina gegangen und waren im Internet café. Ich habe mir ein Geleb, ein Kashmirgewand mit riesen Kaputze, was hauptsaechlich Maenner tragen, gekauft, welches sich bis jetzt echt bewaehrt hat. Abends haben wir vegetable curry gekocht und waren um 20.30 Uhr im Bett.


Where are we? Morocco: Rabat

Date: 3.12.2003

Weather: Raining

Camping: As above

Waiting on Land Rover, we had to abandon the roof tent this night as the weather deteriorated and we had a full on force 9 gale. We slept in the downstairs bedroom and fell asleep to the roar of the wind and hammering of the rain on the DuK.


Regen! Haben lange im Bett gefaulenzt und gelesen. Kurz in die Stadt gegangen, abends haben wir wieder scharfes Curry gekocht. Wieder frueh im Bett nur um nach einer halben Stunde wieder aufzustehen, da es Gewitter war und wir Windstaerke 8 hatten – Dachzelt und Seitenmarkiese musste eingepackt warden, hinten im Landy alles umgeraeumt werden, damit wir darin schlafen koennen! Leider haben wir in der Nacht unser Waschbecken verloren und noch einige andere Sachen sind weggewirbelt. Aber dank Chrischi haben wir ja noch eins!


Where are we? Morocco: Rabat

Date: 4.12.2003

Weather: Raining

Camping: As above

Guess what its raining!!! DuKs appointment at Land Rover finally dawned. Mohammed took charge of the DuK. A very gentle and friendly man who speaks excellent English (always a help when trying to explain a phantom oil leak). We left the DuK in capable hands and went off for lunch and a quick visit to the souke in Rabat. Nice but a lot more hassle then elsewhere. We returned to Land Rover at 4:00 as instructed, they were still working on the DuK, 2 hours later they were closing up for the night, but DuK was still in bits………we explained our dilemma that DuK was home and we were homeless, Bless Mohamed……no problem he and his mate would work until DuK was back together and road tested…..we left at 8:00 with a dry engine void of any unofficial oil leak. All at Land Rover and us were mystified as there was no obvious cause. The front of the engine and timing belt cover etc had been removed but with no cause found…. put back……and hey presto no oil leak!! IT’S A LAND ROVER !!!!!!!!


Regen!!! Sind um 7.30 Uhr aufgestanden um heiss zu duschen, aber der Campingplatz Mann hat verschlafen und somit mussten wir im Regen auf unsere Dusche warten und kamen um 10.00 Uhr viel zu spaet bei Landrover an.  Wir haben da ein bisschen gewartet und sind dann zum Supermarkt und in ein Restaurant gegangen wo wir Mittag gegessen haben, und dann Kaffee… Um 16.00 Uhr war es endlich Zeit wieder zu Landrover zu gehen, aber leider waren die noch nicht fertig und wir haben bis um 19.00 Uhr da gewartet. Die armen Jungs haben Ueberstunden gemacht und haben es reparieren koennen. Also zurueck zum Supermarkt nur um rauszufinden, dass man nach 19.00 Uhr kein Alkohol kaufen kann, na-ja, morgen dann…Auf dem Campingplatz haben wir nur noch schnell Brot gegessen und haben uns dann mit unserem Buch nach hinten verpflanzt, frueh eingeschlafen.


Where are we? Morocco: Rabat to Midelt


End GPS: N32 40.683 W004 44.238

DuK Kilometres: 3964

Duk Average Speed: 60 k/h

Duk Driving Time: 54 hours

Weather: Raining 13 degrees and then snowing minus 1.5 degrees

Camping: Midelt Municipality

With DuKs nose bleed cured and wanting to escape the misery of West coast weather we jumped in the DuK and headed South East for the fringes of the Sahara and the only big dunes in Morocco at Mirzouga. This would prove a rewarding drive as we left the Rif and west coast and headed inland toward the High Atlas. Morocco is a country of astounding geological and cultural contrasts ranging from the heavily populated European influenced west coast, Rif highlands still relatively untouched by western tourism, barren mid Atlas plains, snow capped high Atlas mountains (rising more spectacularly then the Alps) and the arid sand and desert of the Saharan fringes. Spectacular scenery today with the occasional glimpses of distant snow capped peaks. We travelled for some 6 hours stopping at the foot of the climb to the high Atlas pass. From Midelt we had seen that the rain of the west had been translated to snow on the mountains and whats more shed loads of the stuff. It was getting dark and we were tired so we stopped in Midelt at the camping municipal,  otherwise known as a car park!!! Bit of a wild town this we hid DuK behind to buses and tried to blend in to the scenery. Security paramount we opted to use the downstairs sleeping quarters. Simple dinner of bread and water and an early cold night.


Wir sind aufgewacht und es hat immer noch geregnet. Wir haben unseren Computer geschnappt in der Hoffnung dass wir unsere Website uploaden koennen. Zwei Stunden spaeter sassen wir immer noch im Internet café – erfolglos! Also muessen wir immer CD’s zu Chrischi schicken und hoffen dass die unterwegs nicht verloren gehen. Wir woollen ueber den Atlas Richtung Merzouga fahren, aber vorher nochmal beim franzoesischen Supermarkt mit Wein und Essen aufstocken – heute ist Freitag und da kann man kein Alkohol kaufen! Um 15.30 Uhr hatten wir nur noch 4 C und um 16.50 waren wir 2156 m hoch und hatten ueber einen Meter Schnee und – 1.5 C! Um 17.30 Uhr hatten wir unsere erste Polizeikontrolle, wovon wir noch Tausende ueber die Monate hinweg in Afrika haben werden, allerdings wohl nicht immer so freundlich wie diese…Wir haben um 18.00 Uhr in Midelt im Atlasgebirge auf dem Municipal Campingplatz gehalten und waren die einzigen da. Der Mann dort hat uns ganz lieb Feuerholz gebracht und wir haben versucht unser erstes Feuer zu machen, doch leider war das Holz nass! Wir haben Tee getrunken und Brot gegessen und waren um 20.00 Uhr im Bett, hinten im Landy.


Where are we? Morocco: Midelt to Merzouga

Date: 6.12.2003

Weather: Hot

Camping: Ksar Sania

We woke to a beautiful untouched azure sky and brilliant fireball sun glimmering sharply off the corniced peaks. Spectacular yet daunting, I drank my coffee with a little apprehension of what lay ahead. DuK had never been mountain tested and I had concerns over how she would cope with the long climb, sub zero temperature and thinner air up high.… concerns were laid to rest by wifey who did the proper thing and looked at the map. Today we would climb to a mere 1800 metres, a fraction of the 3000 metres of the high peaks. We departed for the long climb and soon found ourselves enveloped by a winter wonderland that even Santa’s Rudolf would have been proud……..1 metre of snow….in Africa….amazing when we knew that a few hundred km further down the track it was a sweltering 31oC. We climbed for an hour or so then levelled out before a steep winding descent to the east of the range. We arrived in Merzouga, via Erfoud, at 17:00. What a day of contrast from 1 metre of snow to 150 metre sand dune and blistering heat. Our first puncture today, a slow bleed from the tube simply down to old perished rubber. Decided to change it ourselves, luckily as the tires are new the bead was easy to break and we had the tyre and tube out in 10 minutes and a new one, re-infalted in another 15 minutes, not bad for our first tyre change.


Ein sehr schoener und abwechslungsreicher Tag! Nachdem wir aufgewacht sind und uns den Arsch abgefroren haben, haben wir Tee gekocht und Cappuchino getrunken. Von hier konnte man das Hohe Atlasgebirge mit viel Schnee durch den klaren Himmel sehen – sehr schoen! Als wir um 11.23 Uhr in dem Ort getankt haben wurden wir ohne Ende angebettelt und belaestigt und wussten, dass wir uns langsam leider daran gewoehnen mussten… Ueberall war Schnee und David wollte Skifahren! Wir sind gen Sueden gefahren und kamen um 17.00 Uhr in Merzouga an – wahnsinn, Duenen wie im Bilderbuch und 17 C! Der Campingplatz Ksar Sania muss einer der schoensten und saubersten in Marokko sein. Wir haben direkt mit unserem Dachzelt hinter den Duenen gestanden, wunderschoen! David hat Chicken Curry gekocht und danach sind wir in die Lounge vom Campingplatz (wie im Afrikanischen Hotel, sehr schoen und relaxing) gegangen und haben Bier bestellt und ich hab mir alle Bilderbaende von Marokko und Dekoration etc. angeguckt – sehr entspannend. Wir haben hier Michael, einen Pinneberger, und Simon und Lisa mit ihren BMW Motorraedern kennengelernt und abends noch mit Simon auf seinen Geburtstag angestossen und Kuchen gegessen.


Where are we? Morocco: Merzouga

Date: 7.12.2003

Weather: Hot and sunny 17 degrees

Camping: Ksar Sania

I shall let the photos do this place justice. Needless to say a beautiful tranquil walk to the top for sundown photos then back to camp for dinner, beer and wine. A very chilled relaxed day here in paradise. Finally we did our washing and dried it!!!!! We have met up with two bikers from England, Simon and Lisa who are on a 4 year global quest raising funds for charity. They have already conquered the Northern Cape, western Russia and Baltic states. Their attention is now focused on Africa and then South America before a tour of Asia. Unfortunately they chose to ride BMWs and as a consequence are stuck in Merzouga awaiting a replacement for the unbreakable drive shaft.

Bonus day today as well as Steffi and Phillip arrived after bush camping outside town last night. They are great fun and excellent travelling companions that we just wish were going all the way to South Africa. We hope to spend some days on the piste leading along the Algerian border South West toward Mauritania.

For us tomorrow we pack up camp for the day and test drive the DuK in true sand and dunes. Nervous……..I’ll let you decide.


Herrliches Aufwachen, obwohl ich den Sonnenaufgang verpasst habe. Ich hab gelesen und David geschnarcht, dann heiss! geduscht und Brot gekauft und Fruehstueck gemacht. Heute haben wir aufgeraeumt, gewaschen und David hat an seiner 2. Liebe, DuK, rumgefummelt. Gegen Mittag sind ploetzlich wieder Steffi und Philip aufgetaucht und wir sind zusammen in die Duenen spazierengegangen und ich hab tausende von Photos gemacht – einfach ein Traum, aber sehr hart da hochzuklettern! Abends sind wir alle in die Bar gegangen und haben da Sandwiches gegessen und uns am Bier und Wein erfreut.


Where are we? Morocco: Merzouga

Date: 8.12.2003

Weather: Hot and sunny

Camping: Ksar Sania

D day (Dune Day) has arrived, Phillip, Steffi, Jose, Kat and me will venture into the dunes today heading across to the large dune where we walked the day before. Jose is from France and having been to Merzouga for the last 5 years has been appointed lead guide and professor. We bled the tyres of their pressure dropping to 1.5 bar, checked oil and water levels, engaged low range and headed into the dunes. The more I drive a Land Rover the more impressed I am by the multitude of terrains they can handle. Tixover in the UK was muddy, sticky and slippery, Denmark was sanding but this was true soft sand dune driving and the DuK simply sailed through it. After 5 minutes all apprehension was gone and the fun began. Steffi and Phillip in the big green monster (BGM) faired just as well. I can say I was extremely impressed by such a large, old creature. Only once did the BGM decide enough was enough but a quick dig, sand ladder under the rears and out she roared. We gave a lift to 3 local children on the way back. Hanging on the back they clung on with giggles and excitement. Rounding one dune however we were faced by a sheer 5 meter drop directly in front us. Gas off, a gradual turn to the left and DuK dug her claws into the sand, kicking the back end out sharply. Never having seen a Moroccon boy flying through the air with the greatest of ease I was at first bewildered by the sight in my rear view mirrors. Olympic high board diving judges would have scored him a perfect set of 10’s for execution but probably marked him down on technique which only failed him upon gravity bringing him back to earth with a bump. We stopped a little way down the track to the hysteria of his friends not out of concern but out of laughing. Poor Mohammed suffered a bruised arm and probably a dented ego with his friends, for me he was a true high flyer.

We decided to head to the salt lake for sundown, amazing sunset and some 5 km off the tarmac, no sooner had we stopped then the familiar buzz of mopeds descended on us from all corners of the compass. “Not for buying just for looking” like vultures cornering their prey we were soon surrounded. No option but to abandon the sunset and start engines we raced our 25cc friends out of the sands back to camp for a lazy evening of joviality at camp DuK joined by Steffi, Phillip, Jose, Simon and Lisa. Tomorrow we prep and depart with the BGM and Jose for the piste running South West towards Zagora along the Algerian border before picking up the old Paris Dakar piste to Touzounine about 500km in total.


Wir sind um 9.00 Uhr aufgewacht und es waren schon 22C. David hat auf meinem Wunsch Turkish Breakfast gemacht und wir haben ewig gesessen und mit allen Kaffee getrunken. Dann haben Philip & Steffi, David & ich und Jose, ein Franzose der allein in seinem Landrover unterwegst ist, uns bereit gemacht um die Duenen mit unseren Fahrzeugen zu testen. Wir hatten sehr viel Spass und waren alle froh, dass Jose so erfahren war und wir noch was lernen konnten! Philip hat seinen grossen Truck in Sand eingefahren und die hiesigen Kinder haben geholfen ihn wieder auszubuddeln waehrend ich Video gedreht habe. Auf dem Rueckweg zum Campingplatz sind 3 Kinder auf unserer hinteren Leiter stehend und am Ersatzrad festhaltend mit quietschendem Vergnuegen mitgefahren – seitdem haben sie uns auch nicht mehr auf dem Campingplatz mit Fossilen oder Stilo (Kugelschreiber) genervt! Abends hab ich Chicken Thai green curry gekocht und wir haben alle zu 7. gegessen und es uns gut gehen lassen. David hat in Simon einen Verbuendeten gefunden und die beiden haben sich kaum mehr einkriegen koennen mit ihrer Nachahmung von Monthy Python!!


Where are we? Morocco: Merzouga to somewhere over the rainbow

Date: 9.12.2003

End GPS: N30 44.785

DuK Kilometres: 4328

Duk Average Speed: 54

Duk Driving Time: 63 hours

Weather: Hot and sunny 24 degrees

Camping: Bushcamp at Auberge

A great day, the piste is hard pack and stony. Initial progress was hampered as we encountered the washed away piste leading us along and escarpment. No problem for the Landies but the BGM in trying to keep the same pace bounced her way to internal destruction. Steffi and Phillip having a long wheel base and about 5 tonnes more then us took a real pounding that resulted in a broken bed and water cell. We turned east and picked up a newer piste making life a little easier going. We stopped at sun down at Auberge Ksar Sam and enjoyed tagine, tea and Berber drumming before a long and contented sleep.


Heute sind wir frueh aufgestanden, da wir mit Philip&Steffi und Jose Piste fahren wollten. Simon & Lisa haben auf Ihren Kardanwellenantrieb aus Casablanka gewartet und mussten leider da bleiben. Wir sind den ganzen Tag ziemlich heikle Piste gefahren, hatten aber einen heiden Spass. Leider ist be Philip im Auto ziemlich alles kaputtgegangen, da der Innenausbau nicht wirklich auf sowas vorbereitet war. Sogar mitten in der Saharah kommen ploetzlich Kinder und Leute von irgendwo her und verlangen cadeaux (Geschenk) oder stilo (Kugelschreiber), was ziemlich nervig ist. Wir sind 3 km neben der Algerischen Grenze gefahren und hatten so ziemlich jeden Untergrund den man sich vorstellen kann, ausser Teer! Um 18.20 Uhr sind wir an einer Auberge angekommen die von Berbern gefuehrt wurde. Hier konnten wir die Nacht verbringen und deren Sanitaeranlagen benutzen. Wir haben Tagine gegessen und sehr suessen Pfefferminztee getrunken und waren um 20.30 Uhr im Bett, aber nicht nachdem die Berber nochmal darauf bestanden haben uns ihre eigene Trommelmusik vorzuspielen was sehr rhythmisch, laut und fantastisch war.


Where are we? Morocco: In the desert!!

Date: 10.12.2003

End GPS: N29 55.033 W005 30.147

DuK Kilometres: 4524

Duk Average Speed: 50

Duk Driving Time: 68 hours

Weather: Hot 24 degrees and sunny

Camping: Bushcamp


Another day another piste. Tension filled the air the longer the day went on. The BGM and Jose could not find a balance in driving speeds. Jose’s full on full throttle mode of driving simply did not suite the BGM. Steffi and Phillip had yet more breakages as the BGM bounced its way along the stony piste and they soon had to abandon their reserve batteries which had broken loose and spilt battery acid in the back living quarters. Kat and I sat in the middle, feeling truly sorry for the BGM. It was obvious that Jose wanted to cover as much ground each day as possible and whilst being in a Landie for us this was possible even we began to question the necessity for such haste. It is unfair when travelling in convoy for the faster not to slow the pace to a more suitable one for the slower heavier vehicle. The body language and absence of Phillip at dinner that night spoke louder then words and it was obvious something would break. We bush camped outside Zagora where we would re-supply on fuel, water and food before heading back into the fringes of the Sahara and the Algerian border area.


Wir sind frueh aufgestanden und dann losgefahren. Sehr huebsche Landschaft, fast wie man es sich auf dem Mond vorstellt, viele Duenen, manchmal Geroell und dann wieder fast Savannah-maessig. Wir sind den ganzen Tag gefahren mit Jose als unser Fuehrer. Philip & Steffi  fanden es etwas hart da deren Auto laenger, hoeher und schwerer ist und nicht fuer solche Zwecke ausgebaut ist, trotzdem haben sie versucht mit uns mitzuhalten, obwohl wir natuerlich immer gewartet haetten, und dadurch ist bei denen im Auto fast alles zerbrochen (Bett, Werkzeugkiste, etc). Dadurch war abends nicht so gute Stimmung als wir endlich angehalten haben und Philip hat kein Wort mehr mit Jose oder uns geredet und sich nicht mehr blicken lassen. Jose hatte einen Berber von der Auberge, wo wir am Abend zuvor gehalten haben, mitgenommen, da dieser Pistenfuehrer dieser Region der Saharah werden moechte. Hassan hat an dem Abend Feuer gemacht und mit Jose gegessen. Wir haben Mirakoli gekocht und Henning’s Schnaps aufgemacht und waren um 20.30 Uhr im Bett.


Where are we? Morocco: Still in the desert and finally to Zagora

Date: 11.12.2003

End GPS: N29 50.291 W005 45.750

DuK Kilometres: 4704

Weather: Hot and sunny 24 degrees

Camping: Bushcamp

We drove into Zagora early morning. Steffi and Phillip wanted to stop and make repairs and so we said a sad goodbye in the hope we would meet up again. We enjoy their company so much as they are laid back and easy going and like us happy to bumble along and take each day as it comes. We made repairs, bought supplies, turbans and ate a tagine lunch before heading out of town with Jose to find some dunes to camp the night. The day was too long in the tooth to make much progress on the piste and the sun was setting right in our eyes. We found a secluded spot in some low dunes and endured our first cold bush shower. Invigorating but refreshing. An early night, ready for a long day tomorrow.


Heute haben wir uns auf dem Weg nach Zagora gemacht, wo wir fuer unsere naechste Pistenfahrt aufstocken koennen. Philip und Steffi wollten hierbleiben und ihr Auto auf Vordermann bringen. Waehrend David und Jose shoppen waren hab ich im Auto gesessen und war von einem Dutzend Kindern umgeben die alle cadeaux, ballon, stilo oder sonst irgendwas wollten. Fast hab ich schon das Fenster wieder zu gemacht bis ein ca. 12-jaehriger Junge anfing mit mir auf English zu quatschen. Er wollte wissen wie die Haeuser in England aussehen und nachdem ich ihm erklaert habe, dass die gar nicht so gross sind wie er sich das vorstellt und das wir keins mehr haben aber DuK unser Zuhaus ist, hat er gestaunt und wohl so ein bisschen verstanden, dass wir Reisende nicht alle im Geld schwimmen und auch simple leben koennen. Danach war er ganz aufgeregt und wollte uns anderen Englaendern vorstellen, die aber Australier waren. Dann hat er mir immer high five gegeben und sich total gefreut. Als wir weiter wollten wollte er mir unbedingt einen Kuss auf die Wange geben, was er dann auch getan hat, das fanden die anderen kids soo urkomisch, dass mich ploetzlich alle kuessen wollten und ein kleiner sogar meine Hand gekuesst hat! Dann fragte er mich ob ich seine Hautfarbe mag (Schwarz) und als ich das mit ja beantwortet habe, sagte er ich waere sehr nett und hat gestrahlt und uns gewunken. Wenn die Kinder so sind ohne irgendwas zu Verlangen, moechte man ihnen gerne was geben aber dieses ganze Gebettel geht echt auf die Nerven. AlsNachdem wir nochmal Tagine im Restaurant gegessen haben und alles erledigt hatten sind wir weiter auf die Piste gefahren. Die Sonne stand schon ziemlich weit unten und somit war es hart zu fahren und wir konnten die ganzen Sandhuegel ueberhaupt nicht mehr sehen. Also sind wir nur etwas weiter weg von dem letzten Dorf gefahren und haben mitten in den Duenen gecampt, kalt geduscht und die naechsten Tage geplant.


Where are we? Morocco: Zagora and back to the desert

Date: 12th December 2003

End GPS: N29 41.933 W007 01.918

DuK Kilometres: 4883

Duk Driving Time: 78 hours

Weather: Sunny 20 degrees

Camping: Bushcamp

We awoke at 6:45 after a very cold night with no wind and clear clear skies revealing a vortex of stars. The piste was soft soft sand and the going was full on as we raced to stay ontop the sand. DuK performed brilliant and has proved very easy to handle even when getting a little out of shape and going sideways on the piste. Excellent fun driving at 60km through small interlinking dunes, DuK flew from side to side and we hung on for the wild bronco ride of our life. Fantastic!! Soft sand eventually gave way to the more usual Moroccon stony piste. We sighted distant 4X4’s and Caravans that we soon recognised as Saudi’s. Ever year they come to Morocco with their large trailer homes, fuel tankers, military escorts, 4X4 and Falcons to hunt the >>>>>> bird. A delicacy back home in Saudi where one bird can be sold to the dinner table for 600 euros. When a bird is caught by the falcon it is immediately despatched to the airport and flown to Saudi to adorn the table of the rich and richer. As we approached we were caught in a pincer move by the Saudi’s. Cutting our path and blocking the piste the armed military escort clearly did not want us around. They spoke no English, No French just Arabic, however there body language, side arms and gesticulations made it abundantly clear they wanted us gone. Needles to say we beat a hasty path detouring to give a wide birth.

We stopped at a dried up cistern in the desert having spotted some 10km earlier our first Japanese tourists on camel back in the desert complete with Nikon. Apparently on their way to Timbuktu (only another 150 days trekking to go then). Eating lunch  two local berber came out of the desert looking for water. As it was dry we refilled their bottles and they went happily on their way, coming from where going to somewhere, I am truly amazed at how they navigate, and endure the relentless sun so far from anything.

Later that afternoon we came to a small village where we were invited to drink tea with the local Islamic Iman of the mosque. We felt very privileged. They explained that a local girl was ill with a bad infection on her arms. We agreed to drive to her house to see if we could other some western sterile bandages and iodine solution. Indeed on arriving the girl was brought out with what looked like septic wounds that were not heeling as they were open to the flies and dirt. Jose cleaned them with iodine and bandaged them and we left a supply of bandages and iodine for them to carry on the treatment.

We carried on crossing lake Iriki and joining the old Paris Dakar piste driving until around 16:45  as the sun began to drain of its energies for the day. I had noticed over the last hour that I was having difficulty changing down the gears from 4th to 3rd. Putting it down to tiredness and laziness of my left foot I ignored it and crunched my way onward. However just as we stopped for the night I went to disengage the gear only to find it well and truly stuck. I had no option bar driving into the back of Jose, or to stall the DuK. Stony silence and that “Uh Oh” feeling enveloped the cab,  I dipped the clutch, it went half way and then was locked tight. Nothing! We had lost our clutch,  with the car stuck in gear, 150 km from nowhere and 200 km from the nearest town. The phrase “Don’t Panic DFon’t Panic” ran through my mind but my hands were already sweating for fear of having to leave DuK to seek assistance.  I started DuK in low range still stuck in gear and she burst into life rolling forward I was able to disengage the gear. Inspections revealed no obvious fault. The master and slave cylinders where operating fine. It meant that the probable cause was the clutch release bearing fork, not something I could bush repair. We agreed we would limp out the 200km the next day to Tata and seek a good bush mechanic. Needless to say I had a crap nights sleep worrying about how I was going to get DuK to safe ground.

Kat made Bauernfruhstuck of which I had 4 portions and we enjoyed a cold beer before retiring to bed. I love my wife. Even when I loose my head she simply cooks up a treat and washes it down with a good beer.


Wir sind um 6:45 Uhr aufgewacht und kurz danach aufgestanden – es war superkalt und klare frische Luft. Nachdem wir gefruehstueckt haben sind wir um 8:45 Uhr in die Wueste gefahren, wovon wir 20 km nicht anhalten durften, da der Sand so weich war und man sich sonst total festfaehrt. Die Landschaft war schon wieder ein Traum und wir mussten uns immer kneifen um zu begreifen, dass wir wirklich hier waren, ganz anders wie man sich das vorstellt aber einfach unglaublich schoene und vielseitige Landschaft. Als wir so froehlich durch die Gegend fahren kamen uns ploetzlich Saudis im Jeep entgegen und gaben uns in Ihrer eigenen Sprache und mit einem riesen Typen mit miesem Grinsen und fettem Gewehr zu verstehen, dass wir hier nicht weiterfahren duerfen….aber es war die Piste und die Saudis haben mitten auf der Piste mit ihrem eigenem Benzintank-LKW gestanden und niemanden naeher kommen lassen – die Saudis haben ein Abkommen mit den Marrokanern, dass sie einen speziellen Vogel jagen duerfen, den sie in Saudi Arabien fuer mehrere tausend Euro als Aphrodesiak an reiche Leute (die keinen mehr hochkriegen) verkaufen – sobald der Vogel geschossen wurde wird er sofort in ein gekuehltes Flugzeug verfrachtet und nach Saudi Arabien geflogen…

Also mussten wir einen Umweg machen und uns selber eine Piste suchen. Der Tag der guten Taten begonn: Als wir zum Mittag gestoppt haben, kamen Nomaden vorbei und haben nach Wasser gefragt, was David ihnen auch grosszuegig gegeben hat. Spaeter sind wir wieder auf die Piste gekommen und sind durch ein kleines Dorf gefahren – die Kinder kamen sofort an und wollten cadeaux und haben sogar meine Tuer einfach aufgemacht. Wir haben bei der Moschee angehalten und der Iman (Oberhaupt der Moschee im Islam) hat uns zum Tee eingeladen. Eine Decke und Kissen wurden sofort neben unserem Auto im Schatten ausgebreitet, die Gasflasche kam zum Vorschein und Tee wurde aufgesetzt und, nachdem das typisch marrokanische Verfahren mit 20 Mal von Teekanne in all die Glaeser und wieder zurueckgiessen beendet war, mit ca. 1 Kilo Zucker getrunken! Das war sehr interessant und sehr nett, dafuer haben sie uns gefragt, ob wir zu einer Familie etwas weiter weg fahren koennen und dem kleinen Maedchen helfen koennten, dass irgendwelche offene, eiterige Stellen hatte, was wir dann auch gemacht haben und sie mit Jod und Verbaenden, und Gummibaerchen fuers Mutigsein, versorgt haben. Weiter gings auf der alten Paris-Dakar Piste als wir entdeckten das unsere Kupplung nicht mehr richtig funktionierte und wir als die Sonne unterging nur noch im ersten Gang fahren konnten – Jose und David unter dem Auto, haben versucht sie zu reparieren waehrend ich schoene Photos vom Sonnenuntergang gemacht habe… Leider waren die Jungs erfolglos und somit haben wir uns entschieden am Morgen nochmal zu gucken und jetzt erstmal Abend zu essen – Bauernfruehstueck und jeder ein Bier und ein Schlueckchen Schnaps fuer David und mich bevor wir um 20:45 Uhr ins Bett gegangen sind.


Where are we? Morocco: there's still a lot of sand so it must still be the desert?

Date: 13th December 2003

End GPS: N29 44.826 W007 58.437

Weather: Sunny

Camping: Municipal Camping Tata

Today a new driving technique would be employed, we could only get DuK moving by starting her in gear and stopping her by turning the ignition off. Driving then consisted of 1st and 2nd gear as even with gear and road speed matched we could not engage any other. Top speed was an amazing 20km and our eardrums were soon beaten by the roar of the engine. DuK plodded on regardless of her disability and we soon found a new method rather then stopping. Instead we simply went into a holding pattern minus the roundabout. Very interesting for pee stops as one could stand in the middle of the circle and whilst peeing be circled by the DuK. All went well and Duk even managed to cross a river with one and a half foot potholes that she quite happily dropped into and rose out of (OK she stalled half way across but in low range fired up and drove herself out). No need for a driver even. We made excellent progress and actually reached Tata in 5 hours having found an extraction point early leading onto tarmac where we managed to lock into 5th gear and made a good 90k/h all the way. We found the mechanic on entering Tata and within 10 minutes the fault was diagnosed, within 2 hours the gearbox was out and the clutch fork on the work top, an hour for lunch and then 4 hours later we were back on the road with a working clutch. Never again will I question bush mechanics nor their knowledge. BIG lesson learnt!! We found the local municipal showers and enjoyed a hot shower. The whole town seemed to come out to watch as Kat was an honorary guest of the male only facilities. After a tagine at the local café, tea at the local carpet seller (I know!!!) then to bed at the local camping. Tomorrow we head for Agadir to restock before the long drive south to the Western Sahara and Mauritania.


Wir sind um 7:00 Uhr aufgestanden, haben Kaffee gekocht und Brote fuer die Fahrt gemacht und uns entschlossen im 2. Gang der jetzt wieder ging fuer 10 std. durch die Wueste nach Tata zu fahren, wo es eine Werkstatt gibt. David konnte nicht anhalten, da es schwierig war DuK wieder in Gang zu bekommen, also musste er jedesmal wenn ich zur Buschtoilette musste im Kreis in der Warteschlaufe fahren und ich mussste dann wieder aufspringen. 30 km spaeter kamen wir zu einem Checkpoint wo uns gesagt wurde, dass der Rest der Piste jetzt geschlossen waere und wir eine andere Route Richtung Teerstrasse nehmen muessten. David und ich waren erleichtert, da es leichter ist Asphalt zu fahren wenn man Kupplungsprobleme hat – und siehe da, wir konnten den 1., 2. und 5. Gang benutzen, was trotzdem Komplikationen hatte, da wir durchs Antiatlasgebirge mussten und es manchmal brenzlig wurde die Berge hochzukommen. Um 12.15 Uhr sind wir in Tata angekommen und haben auch gleich die Werkstatt gefunden. Wahnsinn, solche Werkstatt wuerde es in Europa niemals geben, einfach unglaublich wie die hier arbeiten koennen…Als wir uns noch entscheiden wollten ob wir nach Agadir zu Landrover fahren sollten, hatten 4 Leute schon angefangen unsere Sitze auszubauen und 2 Std. spaeter war das gesamte Getriebe ausgebaut, der Fehler gefunden und die Kupplungsgabel extra afrikanischen Strassen gerecht verstaerkt und wieder eingebaut! Um 19:15 waren wir fertig und nur 100 Euro los fuer die ganze Arbeit. Die Jungs hatten sogar organisiert, dass wir alle in den oeffentlichen Duschen, die nur fuer Maenner sind, heiss duschen koennen. Das hat sich rumgesprochen wie ein Lauffeuer und als wir 5 Minuten spaeter da ankamen, war das ganze Dorf da um sich anzugucken und darueber zu staunen und sich amuesieren, wie eine Westliche Frau in die Maennerduschen geht… Danach haben wir in einem Café, wo auch nur Maenner sitzten duerfen in ganz Marroko was es etwas komisch manchmal macht wenn man da rein geht, Tagine gegessen, waren danach noch in einem Teppichladen und haben Tee bekommen und haben dann den Campingplatz gefunden und waren spaet, 21:30 Uhr, im Bett. Irgendwo war eine Hochzeit und die ganze Nacht waren Trommeln und Gesang zu hoeren.


Where are we? Morocco: Tata to Agadir

Date: 14th December 2003

End GPS: N30 25.394 W009 36.506

DuK Kilometres: 5318

Duk Average Speed: 46 k/h

Duk Driving Time: 85 hours

Weather: Hot Hot 29 degrees

Camping: Agadir

We arrived Agadir just it time for rush hour, very entertaining driving trying to avoid the oncoming traffic on our side of the dual carriageway. But nothing compared to London driving. Top tip: to prep for African driving live and drive in London for 10 year it will prepare you for anything the worlds worst can throw at you. The drive revealed air still in the clutch hydraulic system so I had a job for the morning. The drive to Agadir was interesting as it took us through the land of the Argan tree and tree climbing goats. The goats eat the leaves from the tree that they partially digest, the locals then collect the goat dropping and from this extract an oil which is sold in Europe for an extortionate amount of money. Who said there is no money is shit!!

 We arrived at the camping at 18:30 and immediately spotted a familiar sight. The BGM and Horst’s big white camper (whom we had last seen in Chefchouen). It was great to see old faces and catch up on all the gossip. Tensions between Jose and Steffi and Phillip had cooled and a very enjoyable night ensued. What a small world overlanding is.

The camping site is brilliant. The (WP GCW) White Plastic Geriatric Camper Ward was a sight to see. Zimmer frames abounded as did garden fences, carpets, knomes and palm tress adorned in western Christmas tree tinsel and gaudy coloured flashing lights. It reminded me of Mexico in 1992 when every town had a contest to find the most bad taste Chrimbo deco’s. The jingle bells chiming lights then won the day. Here it was a close competition between the fake plastic guard dog and the garish palm tree. The palm tree won by a branch.


Nachdem wir aufgestanden sind haben wir erstmal aufgeraeumt und die halbe Saharah aus DuK gefegt. David hat Getriebeoel abgelassen und sich liebevoll um DuK gekuemmert. Dann haben wir Mittag gegessen und sind Richtung Agadir gefahren. Die Strecke war wunderschoen, alles Asphalt aber durch den Antiatlas mit seinen roten Gebirgsketten und an vielen Arganbaeumen vorbei, die bekannt fuer ihr wertvolles Oel sind und fuer die Ziegen, die auf die Baeume raufklettern und die Blaetter und Fruechte essen. Um 18:33 Uhr sind wir in Agadir auf dem Campingplatz angekommen und hatten erneut einen Kulturschock erlitten: Ein Platz mitten in der Stadt, neben einer 4-spurigen Strasse, voll mit Deutschen und Franzosen und kitschigen Weihnachsdekorationen! Wir haben geparkt und ploetzlich Steffi und Philip wiedergesehen, die auch gerade angekommen waren. Die Freude war gross und die beiden haben uns und Jose, fast als Friedensangebot, zum Abendessen (1 Kilo Ziege) eingeladen. Jose, David und ich haben uns auf die Suche nach dem Alkoholshop, wie die hier heissen, gemacht und auch gleich gefunden und ein illegales Alkoholdealing von Moslems mitbekommen. Die rufen vorher an, fahren mit dem Auto vor und bleiben sitzen, einer kommt aus dem Laden mit einer schwarzen Plastiktuete raus, oeffnet den Kofferraum und laesst die Tuete dort verschwinden, geht zum Fahrerfenster, nimmt Geld entgegen und weg sind sie wieder…. Sehr spannend! Auf dem Campingplatz wurde unsere Terasse wieder zum Mittelpunkt und wir haben Kerzen angemacht, Wein geoeffnet und Philips leckeres Gericht, wie Gulasch mit Couscous, gegessen und es uns gutgehen lassen.


Where are we? Morocco: Agadir

Date: 15th December 2003

Lazy day watching the geriatrics play Ball and zimmering their way around the campsite and fixing the hydraulics. Kat cleaned DuK and made home. Then in the evening we all went for a Pizza (minus any bacon) at the local Italian Islamic Pizzeria where dishes included the ‘Allah Hot & Spicy’, the ‘Agadir der der der with Pineapple and some prayer’ and my favourite the ‘Sloppy Mohammed’.


Heute hatten wir einen Faulenztag, ich jedenfalls waehrend David weiter an DuK gebastelt hat. Horst, den wir schon in Chefchouen getroffen hatten, war auch da und dann haben wir noch Hanno kennengelernt und haben den ganzen Tag nur Kaffee und Cappuchino getrunken und Hanno’s Stollen und Obladen gegessen – sehr relaxing, obwohl Steffi und ich, glaub ich, Hanno ein bisschen verunsichert haben, al ser anfing ueber Afrika und seine Gefahren geredet haben. Die alten Franzosen haben alle Boules gespielt und wir uns ueber die und deren Schosshuendchen lustig gemacht, besonders Kadze fand diese ganz toll aber die Besitzer hatten alle Angst vor ihm, dabei ist er so suess! Abends sind wir zum Pizzaessen nach Agadir reingegangen.


Where are we? Morocco: Agadir to Sidi Ifni

Date: 16th December 2003

End GPS: N29 45.060 W009 53.575

Weather: Sunny

Camping: Bushcamp

With Germain – Franco relations repaired we all agreed to team up again and head south. The old crew was back together and for me I felt a warmth of friendship and excitement that being on the road brings. We stopped to re-supply at the supermarket and managed to spend a fortune. We drove South East toward Sidi Ifni on the coast. We decided on a piste and after 10 attempts to find the turning going back and forth finally located it. A lazy drive with no real highlights. We arrived at the coast to find the piste now covered in smooth black stuff. Like so many piste in Morocco, modernisation and tourism is bringing new infrastructure. Piste on the west coast are now an endangered species as the desire of the westerners in camper homes drives them further south of Agadir. I am sure in 10 year the coast as far as Dahkla will have been transformed as the North West quadrant already has. We found a spot off the road on the beach secluded from the road and there made camp and a good bush fire. Tomorrow we push on to Sidi Ifni and Plage Blance.


Jetzt waren wir wieder alle vereint und sind gemeinsam Richtung Sidi Ifni gefahren, allerdings nicht bevor wir in Marjane nochmal aufgestockt haben – sehr teuer! Wir sind etwas Piste gefahren und dann entlang der Kueste. Um 18:25 Uhr haben wir ein nettes Fleckchen zum Bushcampen gefunden, jeder hat sein eigenes Essen gemacht und wir haben unsere erstes Bushfeuer gemacht. Kadze hat sich gefreut, dass er so viel rumlaufen kann wie er will, bis er unsere Aufmerksamkeit so ausgenutzt hat und so heiss auf uns alle war, dass er wieder rein musste….Sehr schoener Abend!


Where are we? Morocco: Sidi Ifni to Disneyland

Date: 17th December 2003

Headed for Sidi Ifni along the coast road. Here the sea has eroded the rock at numerous places into vast arches like weathered Cathedrals standing in the sand. We stopped for photos and very nearly got the DuK stuck on the beach. We arrived at Sidi ifni at 13:20 and immediately spotted Asami and Sabine who had originally travelled with Steffi and Phillip. Whilst they caught up on recent events we headed to the fish market. After a short stop we pushed on, finding the piste that lead South towards Plage Blanche. The piste wound along the coast the usual combination of sand and stone. We had fun crossing one dried up river bed with very a steep angle of attack exits. OK for the lightly loaded 90 but just a metre to much for DuK. After the 3rd go I opted to find another exit point. Sure enough DuK sailed up the slope and out. Next was Phillips turn in the BGM, it took 3 goes but sure to form out she came and we pressed on. It was getting toward the end of the day and so we opted to detour to a camping site just inland. Unbeknown to us however the piste we were on had been washed away some time earlier in the year and as we entered a clay quarry like area the ground subsided and wide gashes opened up revealing deep crevasses that would happily swallow the front axle of a Landie, indeed some the whole Landie. We carried on regardless only to round a corner and find the whole piste had been swallowed up in a hole. No option but to turn around and back track to find another piste. So annoying when you are just 5km from the finish point. An hour and another river crossing later we finally reached the camping place. A Disneyland look-alike miniature castle emblazoned in light. It was a nice place and the cold beer was a welcome after what had turned out to be quite a hard drive. We made camp, showered and Kat set about the best Thai Green curry which was scoffed down by all with great gusto.


Nachdem wir um 8:30 Uhr aufgestanden sind haben David und ich zu Jose’s Entsetzen Ruehreier und Croissants gegessen (das kann ein Franzose einfach nicht verstehen wie man sowas essen kann und nicht einfach nur Marmelade mit Croissants.. J) und sind gegen 11:00 Uhr losgekommen. Wir sind an den beruehmten Felsen mit Riesenloechern, die durch das Salzwasser entstanden sind, vorbeigekommen und waren um 13:20 Uhr in Sidi Ifni. Eine der saubersten Staedte in Marroko und ehemals Spanisch. Wir wollten hier Fisch kaufen zum Grillen, aber leider gab es keinen frischen Fisch mehr. Jose hat Mittag gegessen und sich amuesiert dass wir 3 Deutschen und 1 Englaender kein Mittag essen sondern nur eine Cola trinken… Hier sind wir wieder auf Asami und Sabine in ihrem Mercedes gestossen was etwas bitteren Geschmack auf Philip und Steffis Zungen hinterlassen hat. Um sie wieder aufzuheitern und weil es in Sidi Ifni nichts zu tun gab, wollten wir weiter und am Hafen vorbeifahren um zu sehen ob wir hier Fisch kriegen. Jetzt wussten wir auch warum die Stadt so sauber war, als wir ein bisschen hoeher durch die Muellhaide der Stadt fuhren – furchtbar! Der Hafen war abgegrenzt und somit hatten wir kein Glueck mit unserem Fisch. Weiter auf Piste um zu erfahren dass diese gewisse Piste einfach nicht befahrbar war, also umkehren und eine ander finden, durch einen Fluss durch und da haben wir auch schon den Campingplatz mitten im Nichts gefunden, der im Fuehrer als Disney land beschrieben wurde. War auch sehr nett, aber teuer. Haben 2 Biere getrunken, dann zurueck zum Camp und ich hab fuer alle Thai Green Curry gekocht.


Where are we? Morocco: Disneyland to Plage Blanc

Date: 18/12/2003

End GPS: N28 54.895 W010 41.601

Weather: Sunny

Camping: Bushcamp

The morning revealed that one of Jose Old Man Emu shocks had blown up and so he decided to head for the nearest town to find a good old trusty oil shock. We gave him the GPS co’ord of where we would bush camp on the Plage Blanche and bid him a bon voyage. We set off southing along a motorway of a piste arriving at the beach by 13:00. Phillip had a go at  driving the Landie but I refrained from driving the BGM, Kat instead jumped in with Steffi driving. So it was girls against the boys. We picked up the piste heading to our GPS co’ord and after 8km turned off and went Bundi bashing for 3km to the top of the dunes above the beach. Plage blanche is similar in look to the Skeleton coast made so famous by so many film shots flying across it. The view from our bush camp was amazing. For mile upon mile the ribbed texture of sand dunes on the beach to the water edge. Like some monster skeleton backbone. We set about gathering fire wood and preparing a sumptuous feast and took bets on whether Jose would be back before sunset. True to form the boy turbo did not let us done and half an hour before sundown a toot of the horn and over the dunes he came. We ate a feast fit for a king that evening. Roasted chicken cooked on the fire, baked potatoes, roasted vegetables and cous cous washed down with a good supply of red.


Am Morgen hat Jose festgestellt, dass einer seiner Stossdaempfer im Arsch war und wollte somit Richtung Agadir fahren und einen neuen kaufen. Wir haben abgemacht, dass wir an einem gewissen GPS-Punkt am plage blanche wo wir ein paar Tage bushcamping wollten auf ihn warten. Nachdem David und ich mit Steffi und Philip ganz entspannt Piste gefahren sind, haben wir auch endlich nach einiger Zeit unseren Punkt gefunden, (David hat sehr gut navigiert und war ganz stolz!) der uns von der sowieso schon leeren Piste, wo kein Mensch war, ca. 4 km weggefuehrt und direkt an eine riesen Duene gefuehrt hat. Wir sind auf die Duene gestiegen und unten, ca. 50-80 m war ein Strand den man nur aus Bilderbuechern kannte – Duenen, Duenen und noch mehr weisse Duenen und dann das Meer – traumhaft! Philip hat es sogar gewagt da ganz hinzulaufen, waehrend wir den Blick genossen haben. Wir haben Waesche aufgehangen, Camp gemacht und Feuerholz gesammelt. Abends wollten wir grillen und haben alle zusammengeschmissen und jeder was gemacht und Wetten abgeschlossen wann Jose wieder auftauchen wuerde. Steffi und ich waren der Meinung Morgen und die beiden Jungs waren sich sicher heute abend werden wir ein Licht anfahren sehen…und ploetzlich haben wir nur noch ein Gehupe gehoert und da war er schon, sehr stolz auf sich dass er es so schnell geschafft hat! Wir hatten einen sehr tollen und relaxten Abend mit viel Wein, eine Festmahlzeit, guter Musik, schoenes Feuer und viel Spass!


Where are we? Morocco: Plage Blanc to another beach

Date: 19/12/2003

End GPS: N28 43.1186 W011 05.045

DuK Kilometres: 5711

Duk Average Speed: 41 k/h

Weather: Sunny

Camping: Bushcamp

The clam of the early evening had given way to a fresh breeze as we had retired to bed. As the night wore on and we slept in our beds the wind intensified to a moderate gale blowing offshore and thus affording us no protection. The constant flapping of the tent made for a disturbed night and at 5:00am we had to go down to rescue our washing as the wind strengthened further. We made breakfast and tried to enjoy it however every mouthful was accompanied by plenty of wind swept sand and we soon opted to abandon camp and press on to find some shelter. We drove the best part of the day and eventually stopped just of the piste. The coastline here rises 150 metres straight out of the see and is a flat barren place, littered only by the plastic covered wood huts of fishermen. Setting up camp we again collected fire wood. The wind did not give in its quest to drive us from the land, however we formed a U shape hiding behind the BGM for shelter. Jose and I drove to buy fish from the local fishermen and we were rewarded that evening with 6 beautifully fresh Dorade fish accompanied by salad, rice and off course a cold beer.


In der Nacht wurde es so windig, dass ich um 5:00 Uhr morgens unsere Waesche reinholen musste. Als wir um 10:00 Uhr aufstanden war fast schon Sandsturm. David hat Fruehstueck gemacht und nach 2 Sekunden war schon  mehr Sand als Kaffee in unseren Bechern. Erst fand ich es noch nicht so schlimm und hab allen gesagt sie sollen sich mal entspannen, aber dann war es doch fast nicht zu ertragen, alles flog rum und Sand war ueberall!! Also haben wir uns entschlossen das Camp zu verlassen und weiter Richtung Sueden zu fahren um irgendwo noch so einen schoenen Platz zu finden. Wir fuhren Piste den restlichen Tag und haben dann mitten neben der Piste gestoppt als es dunkel wurde und alle wirkten unzufrieden dass es mir auf die Nerven ging und ich einfach im Auto sitzengeblieben bin und mir erstmal eine halbe Stunde volle Droehnung von Nickelback, Creed, Guns N Roses reinziehen musste waehrend David mit Jose ins naechste Fischerdorf gefahren ist und Dorade gekauft hat. Danach gings mir besser und alle waren etwas besser drauf und Jose und Philip haben den Fisch zubereitet waehrend wir alle von absoluten Riesenheuschrecken attaktiert wurden. Fuehlte sich an als wurde man von Pinponbaellen beschmissen! Der Fisch wurde auf dem Feuer gegrillt und Philip hat noch leckeren Reis gemacht (wir durften noch oefter das Vergnuegen haben seine Kochkuenste zu probieren und es war immer ein absolutes Vergnuegen und wir vermissen nich nur das sondern auch die Gesellschaft des Dinosauriers und dessen drei Bewohners!) und um 21:00 Uhr waren wir alle im Bett.


Where are we? Western Sahara: Another beach to another beach outside Tarafaya

Date: 20/12/2003

End GPS: N27 58.141 W012 45.989

Weather: Cloudy and overcast 26 C

Camping: Shit Bushcamp

The wind conspires against us in our desire for sleep. We woke to a sandstorm and managed to pack away just before it devoured us in its choking soup. We went southing again heading for Tan Tan picking up tarmac. We stopped in Tan Tan for new bolts for the gearbox clutch joint that had somehow been stripped from their housing. Pushing onward we were aiming for a camp site run by a Belgium couple to the south of Tarafaya. We ran in good time until an almighty “Bang” resounded round the cab, Kat and I looked at each other in horror as we tried to diagnose from where the sound had come. We came to a quick stop on the side of the road and jumped out to inspect the DuK. No apparent damage, but we became aware of Phillip and Steffi also stopped and inspecting their Mercedes truck. It became apparent that the bang had been their rear tyre exploding, luckily they had executed a “controlled” swerve with no oncoming traffic. Even with 5 people helping the wheel change took the better part of an hour and we soon began to lose the daylight. 20km short of the camping site we pulled of the busy road and made best we could being parked just 30 metres from the road side. Not the best place to stand in full view. We went to bed at 21:00 hours and where just nodding off when we heard a rhythmical tapping noise, it went away but returned some minutes later. We sensed someone outside and sat quietly hoping they would leave. No such luck as we suddenly heard the sound of someone climbing the rear ladder. Enraged I leapt to the back of the roof tent shouting at full volume (in German!!!), opening the tent door I could see the body of a man lying on the beach some 15 metres away. It appears my bellowing had shared the living daylights out of him and he had thrown himself backward off the ladder before then tumbling off a ledge onto the beach. Severed the b*****d right. Jumping from the ladder stark naked, I continued screaming at him. I don’t know whether it was my voice or nakedness but he soon picked himself up and scampered off into the night. Grabbing some clothes and a torch, we were soon joined by Steffi and Phillip and Kadze. Whilst scared the man had not gone away, but sat in the dunes just off our site flicking his lighter on and off. We approached with Kat now enraged running at the man. He seemed bewildered and we enquired what he was doing, at which point Kadze caught sight of him and began to bark madly. I have never seen someone run so quick shout “No No Please No”. It was the last we saw of our unexpected guest!. No more road side camping for us. We decided after that to sleep in the back. What made us laugh the next day was the fact that Jose had slept all the way through the commotion totally unaware of the going ons……. 


Wir haben schon wieder kaum geschlafen da es so wahnsinnig windig war dass wir dachten wir fliegen mitsamt Dachzelt davon! Es wurde zum richtigen Sandsturm und wir haben alle unsere Turbane getragen und da wo es sonst in DuK reinregnet ist ueberall der feine Sand reingekommen! Um 8:50 Uhr sind wir von unserem Bushcamp losgefahren und hatten um 11:32 Uhr wieder Asphalt unter den Raedern und sind somit um 13:00 in Tantan angekommen, wo David noch mal kurz an einer Werkstatt anhalten wollte um Schrauben zu kaufen – das hat dann schon wieder 2 Stunden gedauert! Als wir uns entschlossen hatten hier nicht zu uebernachten sind wir weiter Richtung Sueden in die West Saharah gefahren, wo wir erst mal alle steuerfrei und billig vollgetankt haben – 150 Liter Diesel fuer 349 Dirham (34 Euro!). Als wir weiterfuhren und frantisch auf der Suche nach einem guten bushcamp waren, bevor die Sonne untergeht, ist Philips Reifen geplatzt. Wir sind vor denen gefahren und es war so ein lauter Knall, dass wir schon dachten unsere Heckscheibe war zerschmettert, aber zum Glueck nicht. Also wurden erstmal die Megareifen gewechselt und eine halbe Stunde spaeter waren wir wieder unterwegs. Da die Sonne bereits unterging mussten wir anhalten und haben somit direkt zwischen Schnellstrasse und Meer gestanden in voller Sicht von allen vorbeifahrenden Autos, was wohl der Fehler war…. Wir haben alle alleine gegessen und David und ich noch kalt geduscht und sind ziemlich frueh ins Bett gegangen. Ich konnte nicht gut einschlafen und habe immer dem Wind gelauscht bis ich ploetzlich dachte ich konnte Geraeusche an unserer Leiter hoeren, hab sie auch noch versucht besser zu richten und dann unser Zelt wiederzugemacht. Dann hat ploetzlich jemand am Auto geklopft, David ist aufgewacht und hat gemeint wir sollen so tun als wuerden wir schlafen. Dann ploetzlich haben wir gehoert wie jemand unsere Leiter zum Dachzelt hinaufstieg, David hat die Zelttuer aufgerissen und tierisch laut “Aus, Aus, Raus, Du Arschlock!” gerufen und ist nackt in der Dunkelheit verschwunden waehrend ich ploetzlich im superguten Franzoesisch “voleur, voleur (Dieb)” gerufen habe. David hat sich was uebergezogen und Philip kam mit Kadze rueber um zu gucken ob alles ok ist. Dann sind wir dem Typen hinterher, der auf dem Boden, neben der Strasse sass und immer mit einem Feuerzeug geflickert hat. Kadze war an der Leine hat sich aber sehr bemueht den Typ wegzujagen und ihm Angst einzujagen, was auch erfolgreich geklappt hat! Kadze hat uns beschuetzt! J Wir waren ziemlich aufgewuehlt und haben das Dachzelt zusammengepackt und im Auto geschlafen oder wenigstens versucht zu schlafen. Jose hat von dem ganzen ueberhaupt nichts mitbekommen, obwohl er noch naeher an unserem Wagen stand als Steffi und Philips! Wir haben uns allerdings trotzdem darueber amuesiert, dass David alles auf Deutsch gerufen hat und ich auf Franzoesich…


Where are we? Western Sahara: Tarafaya to Camp Bedouin

Date: 21 December 2003

End GPS: N27 27.688 W013 03.115

Weather: Windy and hot

Camping: Camp Bedouin

Today we reached camping Bedouin, our intended stop from yesterday. The wind still blows relentlessly making the campsite a dust bowl. Some familiar faces here from Morocco. We will stay a day or two. Today is Steffi’s birthday and so we shall celebrate with a meal in the restaurant, Camel Tagine!! And cold beer.  Kat and I decided to scout ahead to see if we could find a bushcamp more sheltered, but to no avail.


Als wir nach wenig Schlaf um 7:30 Uhr aufgestanden sind, habe ich mir kurz den dreckigen Strand angeguckt um rauszufinden wo unser Gast die letzte Nacht herkam… Wir haben uns dann ziemlich schnell auf dem Weg nach Laayoune gemacht und kurz vor der Stadt den Campingplatz Bedouin aufgetan. Er war zwar ganz gut versteckt von der Strasse und in der Naehe von Salzlagerungen und Duenen aber trotzdem nicht wirklich prall und auch nicht windgeschuetzt. David und ich sind nochmal kurz Richtung Laayoune gefahren da man dort am Strand campen kann, war aber totaler Sandsturm, also wieder zurueck. Wir hatten uns eigentlich etwas Schoeneres vorgestellt da heute Steffi’s Geburtstag war und wir feiern wollten; und David und ich vorhatten ihr einen Pudding anstelle von Kuchen zu machen – aber der Wind wollte uns nicht lassen! Dafuer haben wir dann Biere gekauft und so angestossen. Abends haben wir dort Kamel Tagine probiert, was sehr lecker war, besser als das Huhn was Philip und ich uns ausgesucht hatten. Danach gab’s noch paar Flaschen Rotwein bei Lieselotte vor der Tuer (Philip & Steffi’s grosser gruener Mercedes).


Where are we? Western Sahara: Camp Bedouin to nowhere

Date: 22 December 2003

We will have a rest day today, waiting for Lisa and Simon on the motorbikes to catch us up. Jose has decided to push on to Dakhla today for Christmas. We shall also head there tomorrow. Kat and I went for a long walk over the salt pans to a rocky outcrop. We resturned to the camp to find a message from Simon and Lisa saying they has hooked up with Jose and where pushing onto Dakhla. We shall drive there ourselves tomorrow as today is a sad day when we will say farewell to Steffi and Phillip who are now turning back heading home. We will miss their company a lot, but Steffi has given us a lasting memory of them in painting the insignia on the DuKs doors.


Heute haben wir uns einen Ausruhtag gegoennt und wollten eigentlich auf Simon & Lisa warten, da das Motorrand repariert war und sie auf dem Weg Richtung Westsaharah waren. Jose wollte weiter Richtung Dakhla und uns dort spaetestens am 25.12. treffen um am 26.12. gemeinsam die Mauretanische Grenze zu ueberschreiten. David hatte schlechte Nachrichten von zu Hause und wir sind lange auf den Salzbetten spazieren gegangen. Simon & Lisa haben uns getexted dass sie weitergefahren sind und Jose getroffen haben und uns in Dakhla auf dem Campingplatz treffen wollen. David hat noch den Luftfilter gewechselt und noch andere Sachen an DuK ausgebessert. Abends haben Steffi und Philip uns zum Bohnenessen eingeladen und zum letzten Mal auf unserer Reise durften wir Philips Kochkuenste geniessen. Morgens gings ans Abschiedsagen… Philip und Steffi entladen uns einer Last und nehmen unsere Fahrraeder mit zurueck nach Kiel; ausserdem hat Philip uns ein Stromwechselgeraet gegeben, was auch funktioniert und gegen unseren alten eingetauscht, was sehr nett war!


Where are we? Western Sahara: Camp Bedouin to Dakhla via Laayoune

Date: 23rd December 2003

End GPS: N23 45.861 W015 54.421

DuK Kilometres: 6781

Weather: 29 C hot

Camping: Campsite Mussafa

After a brief stop in Laayoune to buy provisions and bid farewell to Steffi and Phillip we headed south. A long days driving today, we arrived in Dakhla after nightfall, but the road was good and clear from traffic so we felt the risk was low. I think we caught everyone by surprise as they did not expect us to make the distance in 1 day. Tomorrow we will celebrate German Christmas with a fish barbeque and hopefully some good Moroccon wine!! If we can find any that is.


Wir sind um 7:30 Uhr aufgewacht und David hat mir Fruehstueck im Bett gemacht. Nachdem wir dann unser obligatorisches Kaffeetrinken mit Steffi & Philip (wobei Philip einen aufgesetzt hat mit dem Salzwasser vom Campingplatz!! Dafuer gab’s aber aufgeschaeumte Milch!) getaetigt haben, haben wir alles zusammengepackt und uns auf dem Weg nach Laayoune zum Supermarkt gemacht. Hier haben wir kurz, nach langem Suchen, angehalten, eingekauft und uns von den Dreien verabschiedet. Dann sind wir weiter Richtung Dakhla gefahren und um 19:55 Uhr angekommen. Jose, Simon & Lisa waren sehr ueberrascht, dass wir es so schnell geschafft haben. Westsaharah ist eine ganze Strecke nur an der Kueste mit ziemlich oeder Landschaft und manchmal muss man seinem Gegenueber, wenn man mal jemanden trifft ausweichen, da der Asphalt nicht weitgenug ist. Wir haben Spaghetti gekocht, 2 Biere getrunken und sind dann ins Bett gefallen.


Where are we? Western Sahara: Dakhla

Date: 24th December 2003


A lazy day sunbathing and swimming on the beach. Simon and I headed into town to by wine and food whilst the girls worked hard on their suntans. Jose made Sangria and the meal was prepared on the Barbie. Quite a few arrivals in the camping today and we where joined by Michael, Helmut (from Merzouga days) and a couple from Switzerland. A very enjoyable meal and too much wine.


Heute war nur Weihnachten fuer mich! Fuer alle anderen erst morgen, aber ich hab trotzdem darauf bestanden besonderes Weihnachtsessen zu machen! Wir hatten einen faulen Tag und fast nichts gemacht. David und Simon haben Fisch gekauft, den wir abends gegrillt haben, wozu ich Couscous gemacht habe und Jose kalte Sangria – und somit gings rund! Zeitlich waren wir neun Leute in unserem DuKcamp und wir haben Mami’s Weihnachtsbaum angemacht und bis 3:00 Uhr gefeiert.


Where are we? Western Sahara: Dakhla

Date: 25th December 2003

Another Christmas but this one with a distrinct difference. We have decided to cook roast chicken, and all the trimmings. Delicate heads all around today. A more sedate refined meal that went down very well. Kat even made us a Christmas desert.


Schon wieder Weihnachten, diesmal mit hangover! Alle waren etwas lau drauf, David und ich waren nachmittags am Strand und spaeter haben David und Lisa english Christmas Dinner vorbereitet – es gab geroestetes Huhn, Gemuese, Kartoffeln und zum Nachtisch mein Schokoladen- und einen Zitronenpudding.


Where are we? Western Sahara: Dakhla

Date: 26th December 2003

A lazy day cleaning and preparing for the crossing to Mauritania. The weather is now much better 30 degrees. Dakhla itself is OK, not a lot here but we have found a café that serves very nice café au lait and good food. We will come back tonight to enjoy a meal with Jose, Simon and Lisa. The group now appears to have swollen for the crossing. We have hooked up with two other Land Rovers, one from Barcelona and the other from France. We will now be 9 people in all, quite some party.


Heute mal kein hangover, viel Faulenzen und aufraeumen fuer unsere Grenzueberschreitung morgen frueh. Wir haben noch andere Leute im Landy kennengelernt, die auch morgen los wollen und sind somit 4 Landies und 2 Motorraeder fuer unsere Mauretanienreise. Abends sind wir zum Pizzaessen nach Dakhla reingefahren. In der Nacht war es wieder superwindig, wir muessen um 6:00 Uhr im dunkeln aufstehen und koennen kaum schlafen…


Where are we? Western Sahara to Nouadhibou, Mauretania

Date: 27th December 2003

Camping: Campsite Abba

Border crossing and minefield day. The day started early so as to get the kilometres to the border done as quick as possible. A blast along asphalt with quick pit stops for diesel (its ridculously cheap here) and lunch then to the border. Moroccan formalities where over very quick, even though we were 9 people. Then it was off across the minefield and to the old Spanish road. One thing I will write is that all the glory glory boys out there that make this out to be a real brave and dangerous crossing are telling BIG porky pies. It is virtually impossible to stray of the piste and safe areas. Just remember to hit the border as early as possible and when you get to the sign to turn left or right, take the right hand turn to the Mauritanian border via the crumbling Spanish road. There is limited soft sand and the tarmac of the Spanish road is potted but easy on the bones and suspension. Mauritanian formalities proved more tricky. Get your visa before the border and save paying 50 euros a head. You will aslo have to pay 10 euros to the police and 10 euros to the customs for the privilege of them stamping you vehicle documents. Don’t worry about insurance until you reach Nouadhibou. We finally left the border post just as it was getting dark, avoid this at all cost as after the border in the dark it gets very difficult to find the railway line leading into Nouadhibou. We were 4 landies and 2 bikes and it made for humours and nervous driving as the group simply could not stick together in convoy due to drivers with an inability to check rear view mirrors. We finally found our way into Nouadhibou at about 22:30. It had been a long day not in terms of kilometres but beauracracy and stop start driving. Nouadhibou is a dry town but find the aurberge on the right hand side of the road as you drive into town run by a French guy and order spag bol and beer and miraculously both shall appear. One other point of note, if you get to the railway crossing you will get propositioned by local guides under no circumstances take one!!! Simply on leaving the railway turn left onto the new road under construction and just keep heading south as far as you can go. The guide is on another planet when they tell you it is a difficult piste!!!


Wir sind um 6:00 Uhr aufgestanden, haben schnell zusammengepackt und heisses Wasser fuer Tee und Cappuchino aufgesetzt, sind dann alle im Konvoi losgefahren, um noch mal aufzutanken. Da mit so vielen Autos alles etwas laenger dauert haetten wir es nicht geschafft vor 12:00 Uhr an der Grenze zu sein und haben somit zu Mittag angehalten – es gab gegrillte Dorade und Pommes. Danach haben wir uns wieder auf dem Weg gemacht um gegen 14:00 Uhr an der Grenze zu sein und sind um 15:00 Uhr an der marokkanischen Grenze angekommen, wo wir drei verschiedene Huetten besuchen mussten um alle Papiere zu bekommen, dann ging es ein Stueck ins Niemandsland weiter und dann waren wir bei der mauretanischen Grenze. Hier waren auch nochmal vier verschiedene Huetten , fuer Zoll, Carnet de Passage, Visas, etc. Jeder wollte noch so viel Euro haben und wir haben uns geweigert diese zu bezahlen, insbesondere da wir die Carnet haben, die wie jeder weiss, ein Schweinegeld kostet dafuer aber garantiert, dass man in diese Laender sein Auto temporaer einfuehren darf. Da Jose als erster alles blind bezahlt hat und der Rest von uns nicht wollte gab es ein Riesentheater...nach langem hin-und-her und mit der Einsicht, dass es bereits dunkel wurde und wir noch Piste und durch Mienenfelder fahren muessen, haben wir dann alle nachgegeben und fuer irgendeine Steuer bezahlt! Um 20:00 Uhr waren wir mit allem durch und waren ziemlich erschoepft und etwas veraengstigt, da wir auf dem Weg zum letzten Grenzposten schon einen in der Luft zerfetzten Landrover, 10 m von der Piste entfernt, gesehen hatten. Also mussten wir direkt im Konvoi einer nach dem anderen fahren und aufpassen, dass wir nicht steckenbleiben oder von der Piste abkommen. Die ersten drei Landrover sind sehr schnell gefahren. Es war superdunkel und wir wollten mithalten, aber auch auf Simon und Lisa mit ihren Motorraedern warten, da uns echt allen etwas muffig war. Keiner hat unser Aufblenden und Hupen gehoert oder es ignoriert, also ist David wie ein besenkter durch die Mienenfelder gesaust, dass ich ihn nur noch angeschrieen habe, da ich nicht wollte, dass DuK auch bald so aussah wie den Landy den wir gesehen haben. Letzendlich hat Jose uns gehoert mit mir auf der Motorhaube haengend schreiend und David Lichthupe und normale Hupe. Wir haben Simon und Lisa zu verstehen zu geben zu warten und haben sie dann geholt. Jetzt waren wir wieder alle zusammen und alle, insbesondere die biker, waren sehr erschoepft und Lisa ist paar mal vom Motorrad gefallen, was auch allen Angst gemacht hat. Zum Glueck hat sie sich nicht verletzt und wir konnten weiterfahren. Um 22:00 Uhr sind wir bei den Gleisen , wo der laengste Zug der Welt, 2.3 km lang, von Zuerat nach Nouadhibou faehrt, angekommen und von vielen Guides umringt, die uns alle helfen wollten, die Piste zu finden. Wir haben alle diskutiert und nach unserem Durch Afrika Buch, war die Piste ab hier deutlich zu erkennen und auch nicht mehr so viele Mienen. David und ich wollten keinen Guide (10 Euro pro Person), aber im Angesicht, dass es so dunkel und spaet war und die biker ziemlich erschoepft und unsicher, haben wir dann doch einen Guide genommen, der uns bis nach Nouadhibou gefuehrt hat – immer geradeaus, entlang den Schienen…. Hier sind wir um 22:45 angekommen und haben Jose’s Freund, der eine Auberge hier hat, aufgetan und zu Abend gegessen. Biere wurden auch noch geschmuggelt, da in Mauretanien Alkoholverbot ist. Dann gab’s noch ein hin-und-her, wer zum Campingplatz wolllte und wer in der Auberge schlafen wollte und es wurde etwas kompliziert, aber alle waren einfach zu muede. Dann gab’s nochmal Chaos wenn es zum Bezahlen kam und nachdem wir dann alle in unseren Landies fuer Lisa and Simons Gepaeck suchen mussten, da sie es nicht tragen koennen, wenn wir Piste fahren, sind wir endlich um 1:30 Uhr morgens auf dem Campingplatz Abba angekommen und ins Bett gefallen.


Where are we? Mauritania: Nouadihbou

Date: 28th December 2003

Camping: Campsite Abba

Lazy day making coffee, buying insurance and the park entrance permit for the leg to Nouakchott. One note of advice, when buying the park permit do NOT write the date on it. Only write this on when you enter the park. They are quite hot on this at the other end. It took us an hour of apologising and kissing ass before we were aloud to go without paying again. Another word of warning to Landie drivers, take a spare radiator breather plug, as the pastic ones Land Rover fit WILL break at the most inconvient times. Alternatively fill the hole with Apoxy resin……..its stronger!!!


Wir haben den ganzen Tag auf dem Campingplatz relaxed und waren die Kaffeebar unter den Landies. Simon und Lisa sind heute angekommen und abends sind wir mit denen und Jose nach Nouadhibou reingefahren und haben wieder in der Auberge gegessen. Dann gings zurueck zum Campingplatz und frueh ins Bett.


Where are we? Mauritania: Nouadihbou to bushcamp

Date: 29th December 2003

End GPS:  N20 48.719 W16 16.226

DuK Kilometres: 7302

Duk Average Speed: 39.3 k/h

Weather: 22 C

Camping: Bushcamp

So the convoy left town early morning. Heading North to pick up the piste taking us east and then dropping south through some spectacular scenery. The sand is soft’ish but the piste is clearly marked. The run across the marsh pan is great fun and flat out!!! No need for low range or diff lock, just full on gas!! The bikes found the going pretty tough in the first 3 kilometres but I think that was more down to fatigue from the last few days and suddenly being back in soft sand again. However after the initial sections it is possible to get of the piste and make fresh tracks. A lot more fun for all and a softer ride. Tonight was a bush camp at N20 48.7619 W16 16.226 just within the national park boundary. Note of advice, the piste dissapears some 10km from this point (its about 5km after the Fridge in the desert!! You will no what I mean if you ever go there!!). There is nothing really to do but Bundi bash and make you own way to the piste again. It may be seasonal but certainly when we were there the grass had hidden the track. This day we did engage low range and deflate tyres, but to be honest it was more to keep the strain on the engine down rather then out of necessity.


Um 7:00 Uhr sind wir aufgestanden und haben zusammengepackt, und waren um 8:38 Uhr wieder unterwegs Richtung Nouakshott. Den ganzen Tag sind wir Piste gefahren und durch viel weichen Sand. Wir haben mitten in den Duenen gestoppt und Mittag gegessen. Eigentlich wollten wir den Parc du Banc d’Arguin heute erreichen, haben’s aber nicht geschafft, da wir viel anhalten und auf die biker warten mussten, da es etwas schwierig war fuer die durch den weichen Sand zu fahren. Also haben wir gegen Sonnenuntergang  in der Naehe der Piste, mitten im Nichts, angehalten und Camp gemacht. Zum Abendessen haben David und ich Corned Beef mit Zwiebeln und Kartoffelpuerree gegessen – war sehr lecker! Liliana und Oreal haben kleine tapas gemacht und rumgereicht – auch sehr lecker! Um 21:00 Uhr waren alle im Bett.


Where are we? Mauritania: Bushcamp to Nouaghmar

Date: 30th December 2003

End GPS: N19 20.745 W016 30.535

DuK Kilometres: 7489

Duk Average Speed: 38 k/h

Weather: Between 14 and 31 C

Camping: Bushcamp

We woke early today for the run down to Nouaghmar, however there was no need as the run is easy and takes no time at all. We had a lazy day driving and playing in the snad and dunes and still arrived at 15:45. We drove a mixture of piste, open plains and dry salt pans. Crossing one open plain we spied a mass of people standing in the desert, detouring to see what the attraction was so far from anywhere, we were greeted by about 50 locals on 2 bush taxis, one of which had broken down. We made contact with one of the men who spoke English. He advised us that they had broken down the previous night and had spent a cold night huddled in the desert scared that they would never be found. When we stressed he was with local bush taxi drivers his feelings where even more reinforced. As the crowd of 30 worked on the bush taxi (quite some sight!!) we continued our chat. The man asked us where we where going, Nouakchott we explained…..But why are you going that way he asked…..because that is the way to Nouakchott we explained……No that is the way to Nouadhibou he advised….No no we stressed that is north, we are heading south…..a look of distrust came over his eyes…….here let me show you I said and led him to the car. Showing him the Michelin map and the GPS, he still did not believe… out came the compass…see North that way South this way. He scratched his jaw and look over toward the broken down bush taxi…….then why are we going North he said in a exasperated voice…..we all shrugged….beats us maybe they know a short cut we said…….there was then some utterings in foreign tongue that must have translated as “Ha Ha told them so”. For he went on to explain that the previous night and that morning there had been a split in the masses. It seemed Allah was having a little laugh with his children….one group insisted that to pray East was to the left of the bush taxi, the other group insisted that East was to the right…… appears our friend had led the right hand movement and thus had been proven correct. What I would have given to have been there to have filmed the chaos as people ran from camp to camp unsure of what way to pray. So it was that 25 people prayed for one night and one morning pointing there asses toward Mecca……

Eventually the bush taxi was started by dragging it across the desert and the masses re-united in the back……but I am sure our friend indeed had the last laugh sitting there for 6 hours going “Told you so”!!!

We arrived at Nouadhibou at 15:45 leaving the Parc du Banc d’Arguin (after the tortuous hour wrangling over dates). We had missed the tide for the beach crossing and so made camp on the beach. We gathered fire wood and the group purchased a still alive 2 kilo lobster from the fishermen. Needless to say a feast insued over an open fire, everyone bringing a dish to the party. Although I have to say my curried risotto dish proved to hot for all but the develish in our group. But I ask just for a minute of your time, image the scene if you will. A white sandy beach stretching as far as the eye can see, pelicans swimming by fishing as they go, an orange red sun melting into the Atlantic ocean, a warm fire glow lighting the camp and the smell of lobster cooking over its heat wafts across the way……….anyway so how is life back home?


Am Abend vorher hat Jose den Ton angegeben und wollte, dass wir alle um 6:00 Uhr aufstehen und losfahren. Alle anderen waren sich jedoch einig, dass 6:30 – 6:45 Uhr auch reicht und dann auch die Sonne aufgeht. Also sind wir um viertel vor sieben aufgestandeen, haben Kaffee gekocht und dann all unseren Muell verbrannt und waren um 8:00 Uhr wieder on the road. Es war wieder ziemlich windig und bedeckt. Wir sind um 9:30 Uhr zwei Autos mitten in der Wueste gestossen, mit ca. 40 Leuten! Alle waren Mauretanier und wollten nach Nouakshott fahren, als einer der Autos den Geist aufgegeben hat. Somit haben sie die Nacht dort verbracht und gebetet. Einer der Maenner hat uns erzaehlt, dass sie solche Angst hatten hier zu verdursten und hat uns viele Fragen ueber Europa gestellt, und wie es sein kann, dass wir sooo lange verheiratet sind und keine Kinder haben! Wir haben alle mit angepackt und bald konnten sie weiterfahren, allerdings wollten sie in die Richtung, von der wir gerade herkamen, aber nach Nouakshott! Also hat David ihnen erklaert wo eigentlich Sueden ist und auch auf unserem GPS gezeigt, wo Nouakshott und wo Nouadhibou ist. Der Typ hat sich nur an den Kopf gefasst und gemeint sie haetten die ganze Zeit in die falsche Richtung gebetet….Weiter gings bis 13:05 Uhr als wir zum Mittag angehalten haben, unser Brot war schlecht, also haben wir uns tuna wraps gemacht. Wir fuhren weiter, da wir das Ende des Parks erreichen wollten, weil unser Permit auslief. Als wir beim Parkwaechter in Nouamghar um 15:15 Uhr bei 31.6 C Hitze ankamen, hat der Theater gemacht, weil wir alle verschiedene Daten auf unseren Permits hatten. David hat sich fast mit dem Typen angelegt, waehrend wir Maedels alle draussen gewartet, photographiert und mit den Einheimischen geschnackt haben. Danach mussten wir noch ins Dorf und unsere Paesse zeigen und wurden wieder von vielen bettelnen Kindern umringt. Um 17:00 Uhr sind wir da direkt an den Strand gefahren, da eine Weiterfahrt unmoeglich war, weil man 80 – 100 km direkt am Strand weiterfahren muss und dafuer die Gezeiten abwarten muss. Hier wollten wir Grillen und David und ich haben Feuerholz gesammelt und ein kleiner Junge hat uns tragen geholfen – spaeter hat er mit mir Haendeklatschen gespielt und dann nach cadeaux gefragt. Als wir Feuerholz sammeln waren sind uns Einheimische am Strand entgegengekommen mit einem Riesenhummer, also haben wir sie zu den anderen an den  Strand geschickt um mit denen zu verhandeln. Jose hat den dann fuer umgerechnet 5 Euro gekauft und wir haben abgemacht, dass jeder ein Gericht kocht und wir alle zusammen ums Feuer essen. Jose hat den Lobster lebend zersaegt und dann gegrillt, spaeter hat er auf dem Unterfahrschutz von Patrique gelegen, wo wir ihn zerteilen konnten. Es war ein sehr schoener und relaxter Abend vor unserer aufregenden Strandueberquerung.


Where are we? Mauritania: Nouaghmar to Nouakchott

Date: 31.12.2003

End GPS: N18 06.694 W016 01.573

Weather: 30 C

Camping: Campsite Tirgit

Beach crossing day. Today involved a drive of around 80 km along the beach before the tide came in. Again before I start, those glory glory boys again…..this crossing only involves one section where a 4X4 is needed. The beach is hard pack sand by the waters edge and soft up top. Only on one section of about 2 km was it true that if the tide cam in you would get caught with nowhere to run. All other places you can simply drive above the high tied line into the soft sand (this will require 4 wheel drive and low range). By and far the hardest bit of the day was getting off the beach in Nouakchott as it involves some very soft sand and an incline, but get a good run at it and you will soon be kissing tarmac. This is a fantastic run down the beach. I recommend your favourite music pumped up to full whack, the sun roof off and don’t be a whoos get the vehicle in the water and get wet. We certainly did this and it made for a hell of a lot of fun…and don’t worry you can get the car fully and comprehesively washed and jet washed in Nouakchott. We had about 10 gallons of water in the cab and a full on beach in the foot wells. It certainly keeps you cool. However, one word of caution, do this on the Northern section as the further south you go there starts to appear tidal pools with a steep angle slope that if hit at speed could easily capsize you into one of them. We poodled along the beach and still made it just in time before high tide made us slog through the soft sand. It is worth taking you time here as it really is quite magical, Atlantic on the right and dunes and sand on the left with an abundance of bird life. We arrived in Nouakchott at 15:00 and after jet washing the car headed for the camping on the beachfront. By no means an exciting place, its expensive and full of flies but it is on the seafront.

As this was New Years eve we headed into town to buy some wine, even though it is supposedly a dry town. Sure enough we found the expat watering hole and indulged in a few bottles of red. New Year was seen in with my beautiful wife, sitting by a fire on the beach listening to the dolphines singing in the sea (and that is no lie or exageration!!). Beautiful! It was as if they were swimming along the shore shouting out Happy New Year to everyone as they only appeared on the strike of midnight!! (although they must have been European dolphins as they celebrated on central european time not GMT).


Um 7:00 Uhr sind wir aufgestanden und haben zusammengepackt. Mir gingen mittlerweile die ganzen Leute und den damit zusammenhaengenden Hickhack tierisch auf die Nerven und somit war ich nicht bester Laune als wir noch nicht mal unseren Kaffee weiterkochen durften, hektisch unsere Kueche wegpacken und los mussten! Dabei haben wir auch unser Gasfeuerzeug fuer den Kocher verloren… Als wir dann allerdings beim Aufbruch Pelikane direkt im Wasser vor unserer Nase hatten gings schon wieder viel besser! An dem Strand direkt an Wellen, und all diesen wundervollen Voegeln und an der anderen Seite Duenen, entlang zu fahren ist einfach eine wundervolle einzigartige Erfahrung! Wir waren absolut begeistert! Ich habe aus unserer Dachlucke heraus gefilmt und die vielen Verschiedenen Blickfelder von da oben genossen – es war noch etwas frisch, Wind wehte und der Himmel war tiefblau, einfach toll! Als uns die anderen etwas zu schnell wurden und wir an den schoenen Aussichten nur so vorbeigerauscht sind, haben David und ich uns entschlossen nur mit 50 – 60 kmh weiterzufahren, laut klassische Musik gehoert und dachten wir waeren irgendwo ausserhalb unserer Welt! Wir haben gehoert, dass es bei dieser Strecke keine Ausweichmoeglichkeiten gibt und sie ungefaehr 2 ½ Std. dauert; was nur bedingt stimmt. Fuer ca. 10 km und dann noch mal ca. 6 km kann man nicht ausweichen, deshalb ist es so wichtig die Gezeiten abzuwarten, aber trotzdem sieht man ziemlich viele kleine Fischerdoerfer entlang der Kueste, sonst fast nur Duenen. Ein Abschnitt war etwas schwieriger und ein wenig gefaehrlich, in dem man durch einen Bach des Meeres kurz durch und dann gleich eine Duene hochfahren muss um auf der anderen Seite weiter Piste fahren zu koennen – haben alle gut gemeistert! Die letzten 6 km waren auch nicht mehr so schoen, da die Flut kam und sehr viele Poole mit Stroemungen entstanden und drumherum der Sand sehr weich war – da hatten alle etwas Kniezittern. Dann kommt man in Nouakshott an und muss superweichen Sand den Strand hoch zur Strasse fahren, wo wir uns alle ein wenig festgefahren haben. Um 12:40 Uhr waren wir da und sind sofort in die hiesige Waschanlage (2 Maenner, die einem supergruendlich den Salz und Sand vom Auto waschen – fast waere auch unser neues Logo, was Steffi in Laayoune gemalt hat, wieder runtergekommen) gefahren und haben alle Autos und Motorraeder gruendlich seifen und waschen lassen. Dann zurueck zum Strand, wo sich der Campingplatz Tirgit befindet. Hier haben wir dann camp gemacht und Mittag/Abend gegessen. Der Campingplatz war nicht gerade sehr toll, dafuer aber direkt am Strand. David und Simon sind mit einem Motorrad in die Stadt reingefahren auf der Suche nach illegalem Alkohol fuer Sylvester. Als sie sich im Novotel befanden und paar Biere dort tranken, trafen sie auf einen Texaner, der hier wohnt und der den beiden die illegale franzoesische Bar gezeigt hat, wo sie natuerlich noch einen trinken mussten…. Als sie endlich zurueck kamen, haben David und ich Feuerholz gesucht und sind an Strand runter gegangen mit unserer Flasche Wein und haben Feuer gemacht. Simon und Lisa kamen und wir haben da gesessen und das Meer und den Wein genossen. Gegen 23:00 Uhr sind die beiden ins Bett und David und ich waren alleine am Strand und haben aufs Neujahr gewartet, und kurz nach Neujahr haben wir Delphine gehoert! Das war unglaublich, die haben gekiechert und gerufen, immer wieder, als ob sie uns Frohes Neues Jahr wuenschen wollten! Dann kamen die anderen aus der Stadt wieder und haben noch kurz mit uns gesessen. Als alle im Bett waren haben wir klammheimlich unsere zweite Flasche Wein getrunken und den Wellen und den Delphinen gelauscht – sehr romantisch und alles in allem einer der faszinierensten Tage unserer Reise!









DuK © Site sponsored by